All Time Best Dual Team

rideOut

I know duals were a few weeks ago and Traditional State is a few days away but I have had this question on my mind for a few weeks now.

Which dual team in which year had the all time best line up, all divisions considered?

Not traditional tournament scoring but a straight up dual, and yes, I am aware that it depends on which weight starts first and which team reports first, but if they wrestled 100 times who would win the majority?

59 minutes ago, rideOut said:

I know duals were a few weeks ago and Traditional State is a few days away but I have had this question on my mind for a few weeks now.

Which dual team in which year had the all time best line up, all divisions considered?

Not traditional tournament scoring but a straight up dual, and yes, I am aware that it depends on which weight starts first and which team reports first, but if they wrestled 100 times who would win the majority?

some of the older McCallie and Baylor teams would have to be in consideration. I know Father Ryan and Christian Brothers have had some lineups also where not 1 of their wrestlers was a dud.  Maybe a few of the Bradley lineups in the 90's early 2000's and some really good Cleveland one's to be considered also. 

Very interesting question rideout

1993- McCallie was loaded. won against Bradley in finals with 9 of 13 weights 40-20. Team had Levitt and Wunderlich

for public schools that 1997 Overton squad who beat Father Ryan in finals was stacked: Casey Brewer, William Hadden, Tim Drinkwine, Brian Larimer, Clyde Clemons, Ethan Elzen, Eric Jordan, Derrick Jordan.  That was a good FR team and they ripped them pretty well 32-19

Edited by cobrakid8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, werazzlin said:

Clarksville had some tough teams back in the day

yeah, but they only won 1 state title and that was in 2000 with Bradley as RU. They did have the Dye brothers, Mat McCarty, Midgett, Ranallo, Drew Adams, Jeff Rudolph, Hunter Stapp so some very tough wrestlers for sure but I don't think they have anything for that 1997 Overton squad. Of course the privates most likely win this unless we split them up and do best private ever and public ever. I mean Red Bank had like 7 state champs on their state champ team in the 60's but of course it’s just a different time period with all the split offs now. 

Edited by cobrakid8

45 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

yeah, but they only won 1 state title and that was in 2000 with Bradley as RU. They did have the Dye brothers, Mat McCarty, Midgett, Ranallo, Drew Adams, Jeff Rudolph, Hunter Stapp so some very tough wrestlers for sure but I don't think they have anything for that 1993 Overton squad. Of course the privates most likely win this unless we split them up and do best private ever and public ever. I mean Red Bank had like 7 state champs on their state champ team in the 60's but of course its just a different time period with all the split offs now. 

Overton in 96/97 was a VERY GOOD team, but I believe their 95/96 team was their best team. That team was STACKED!!! It had some of the guys listed in a previous post in addition to McTorry. I may be wrong on my yrs but that's what I remember. Coach Gabe, if you're on here and read this, please confirm which team was your best.

After the public/private split, Clarksville in 99/00 was loaded as well, but I dont think any public school would've wanted any of the 96 Overton squad. Just my opinion though.

3 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

some of the older McCallie and Baylor teams would have to be in consideration. I know Father Ryan and Christian Brothers have had some lineups also where not 1 of their wrestlers was a dud.  Maybe a few of the Bradley lineups in the 90's early 2000's and some really good Cleveland one's to be considered also. 

Very interesting question rideout

1993- McCallie was loaded. won against Bradley in finals with 9 of 13 weights 40-20. Team had Levitt and Wunderlich

for public schools that 1997 Overton squad who beat Father Ryan in finals was stacked: Casey Brewer, William Hadden, Tim Drinkwine, Brian Larimer, Clyde Clemons, Ethan Elzen, Eric Jordan, Derrick Jordan.  That was a good FR team and they ripped them pretty well 32-19

Casey Brewer = Brewster?

1 hour ago, FargoStrut said:

Overton in 96/97 was a VERY GOOD team, but I believe their 95/96 team was their best team. That team was STACKED!!! It had some of the guys listed in a previous post in addition to McTorry. I may be wrong on my yrs but that's what I remember. Coach Gabe, if you're on here and read this, please confirm which team was your best.

After the public/private split, Clarksville in 99/00 was loaded as well, but I dont think any public school would've wanted any of the 96 Overton squad. Just my opinion though.

That 95-96 squad got beat by Baylor who got beat in the finals by Father Ryan. So they wouldn’t be in the conversation of best overall unless we are going will public/private split. That 96-97 team won it overall over Father Ryan after beating Soddy and Jefferson county handily

1 hour ago, FargoStrut said:

Correct my man, that 95-96 Overton team would be my pick!

14 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

That 95-96 squad got beat by Baylor who got beat in the finals by Father Ryan. So they wouldn’t be in the conversation of best overall unless we are going will public/private split. That 96-97 team won it overall over Father Ryan after beating Soddy and Jefferson county handily

15 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Cobra, you and I both know there is a difference between public and private. That's why I never mentioned anything about private schools and said that I cant remember any public school that would've wanted any part of the 96 Overton team. Someone else may come up with another public team that was outstanding in their own right, but 96 Overton is the best public school team that I personally remember seeing, even to this day. 

3 hours ago, FargoStrut said:

Cobra, you and I both know there is a difference between public and private. That's why I never mentioned anything about private schools and said that I cant remember any public school that would've wanted any part of the 96 Overton team. Someone else may come up with another public team that was outstanding in their own right, but 96 Overton is the best public school team that I personally remember seeing, even to this day. 

But that was the actual question, which is the best ever state dual team ALL divisions, there was no breakdown in the original question. So that is why to me 96-97 has the better claim because they DID win the state duals AND they beat father Ryan to do so. I’ll try and look up tomorrow who all wrestled for each, but the one proves they were the best by defeating all teams including private schools so could lay claim to best state duals team ever all classes combined.