State Upsets

GoTNwrestling

3 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Hey, you came on not liking my opinion and making excuses. You are a good coach, maybe next time have a better game plan for your wrestler instead of making excuses on why he lost. Do I agree maybe Kobe should have been hit with another stalling call, yeah I do, but I’ve always been told, make it where the officials aren’t needed and make it where they can’t effect the outcome. If you don’t like that or biff or Mitch or the like, next time just get the job done and there won’t be someone there to complain! Again I think Logan is the better wrestler, but he got beat by a better game plan but I don’t think by a better wrestler. Maybe that’s why you are butthurt by what I originally said, but I know one person right after I said it agreed with my premise of these guys have got to quit wrestling conservative in their finals matches. It happens every year and they get away from what got them there in the first place! 

Great, now give it a rest. Can you do that? 

For those that missed the Posey/Rice match and just looked at results…Posey broke his nose in that match and still finished the match, and with no face mask. Not many kids can do that. Win or lose that was just bad ####. That’s a Tuff kid. Posey also had 3 monster mat returns 1 that included backs and another should have included backs, but hey that’s just part of the sport. Yeah I believe a win is a win but darn I hate to see good kids get hurt like that. At least he has 2 years left. A saw a couple seniors get hurt, unfortunately they don’t have another opportunity. 

13 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

Bring ol sweatpants Atlas from Greenville with ya too!

First, I would like to correct that it is Greeneville*. You have seen it enough in the finals, I would think it would start getting spelled correctly. Honest mistake I am sure but always been a pet peeve of mine.

Secondly, thank you so much for the invitation! Independence is little far of a drive for me to get into a pissing contest with you boys though, even though I would love to have some kids train with Rylee Lent she put on a show this weekend, I will most likely not be in attendance. 

I definitely won't attend if nobody is gonna share the profits with Greeneville cause we are poor and need all the financial help we can get hahaha.

I did get several phone calls about this thread and appreciate you guys for the laughs this morning, I needed it after the long drive home last night. 

-Atlas aka Olesweatpants :wink:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hamblin1 said:

Great, now give it a rest. Can you do that? 

I tried which is why I deleted my one post, you didn’t even give that a min from time it was posted for me to get it deleted before posting and running that mouth back! So I tried to let it lie but instead you wanted to be the soccer mom and call me one! Let’s see now if you can give it a rest!

18 hours ago, Mitch24 said:

Bring ol sweatpants Atlas from Greenville with ya too!

How about we bring this thread back and stop picking on my coach ha ha. He’s a great dude. Any wayProud of my man Morgan Lowery at 195 this weekend. Very dominant performance. He’s worked his butt of and it showed. 

Sid Mason 

24 minutes ago, Mason422 said:

How about we bring this thread back and stop picking on my coach ha ha. He’s a great dude. Any wayProud of my man Morgan Lowery at 195 this weekend. Very dominant performance. He’s worked his butt of and it showed. 

Sid Mason 

That he did, very impressive wrestling as we all see coming from some of those Greeneville studs! 

23 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

I will never understand guys not going for it when out there. Playing it safe will rarely win you a match and does a good job of losing one for you. 1-0 for Heckert vs Smith and 1-0 for Turner vs Magness. I understand playing it a little safe but this was as fun as watching paint dry and I’d rather get beat 4-5 or more and actually go for it than literally get beat 1-0. I think I’d have a much worse feeling and regret  

Unless you live their championship experience, you can’t possibly understand. Theres a lot that goes on in these kids lives that put pressure on them that in those six minutes that can sometimes go by in what seems like 30 seconds, when you’ve stepped on the mat with your heart rate at 5000 rpms from the atmosphere and the pressure quickly going to 8000 rpms and you’ve fought like heck for takedowns and turns and your eyes are blurry and your legs and lungs and arms are on fire and you just went to your best move and it got stopped and you went to your next best move and it got stopped and over and over and over until you are beyond exhaustion. The fact that there’s a guy behind a keyboard somewhere that wrestled one time and he thinks the kid or the coach should’ve done more so he can be entertained or satisfied with a kids effort or believes he could’ve done better “back in the day”, (but didn’t for some reason), will be laughable to me regardless of what anyone on this forum thinks. These kids and coaches have poured their lives, heart and soul into this sport. If they could’ve done better in the moment, they darn sure would have and there’s not a young man across this state that lost this weekend that doesn’t wish they could go back and wrestle their loss over again differently. And there’s not one that isn’t consumed with regret and anger and frustration.  I just know how hard these kids and coaches work and invest and it genuinely bothers me that someone would come on this forum and call out a kid I care about for “not going for it”.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Biffmar4 said:

Unless you live their championship experience, you can’t possibly understand. Theres a lot that goes on in these kids lives that put pressure on them that in those six minutes that can sometimes go by in what seems like 30 seconds, when you’ve stepped on the mat with your heart rate at 5000 rpms from the atmosphere and the pressure quickly going to 8000 rpms and you’ve fought like heck for takedowns and turns and your eyes are blurry and your legs and lungs and arms are on fire and you just went to your best move and it got stopped and you went to your next best move and it got stopped and over and over and over until you are beyond exhaustion. The fact that there’s a guy behind a keyboard somewhere that wrestled one time and he thinks the kid or the coach should’ve done more so he can be entertained or satisfied with a kids effort or believes he could’ve done better “back in the day”, (but didn’t for some reason), will be laughable to me regardless of what anyone on this forum thinks. These kids and coaches have poured their lives, heart and soul into this sport. If they could’ve done better in the moment, they darn sure would have and there’s not a young man across this state that lost this weekend that doesn’t wish they could go back and wrestle their loss over again differently. And there’s not one that isn’t consumed with regret and anger and frustration.  I just know how hard these kids and coaches work and invest and it genuinely bothers me that someone would come on this forum and call out a kid I care about for “not going for it”.

Good Observation actually. We may never know the full details/obstacles 

1 hour ago, Biffmar4 said:

Mic drop

11 hours ago, Biffmar4 said:

I know a kid who was at State last year and still goes over that last match in his mind, and what he could have done different.  He worked his tail off and was mediocre at best, but knew his role when it came to duals, and anything in individual accomplishments was just icing on the cake.  Coaches poured heart and soul into him!  I agree with all you have said, and did not even see the match referenced - because I have seen matches like that.  Anyone who has made it that far is 100% giving it all they have, or they would not be there.

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2023 at 8:20 PM, cobrakid8 said:

I will never understand guys not going for it when out there. Playing it safe will rarely win you a match and does a good job of losing one for you. 1-0 for Heckert vs Smith and 1-0 for Turner vs Magness. I understand playing it a little safe but this was as fun as watching paint dry and I’d rather get beat 4-5 or more and actually go for it than literally get beat 1-0. I think I’d have a much worse feeling and regret that way.

In Heckert's defense, he shot multiple times in the first period. Smith didn't even attempt a shot and did get warned for stalling. Great win for him though!

Turner wins a lot of low scoring matches. That is just his style and he's extremely good at it. Hating on him for a 1-0 match doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He's a position wrestler that keeps a great stance for 6 minutes, and he's hard to score on... nothing wrong about that. Final point on this one...terrible call by the official not to give him an escape in the 2nd period. I didn't watch many of the girl matches, but the A and AA officiating this weekend was questionable at best. 

On 2/25/2023 at 11:47 PM, cobrakid8 said:

Did I specifically say that one was like paint drying? I said I do not understand 1–0 scores, and that’s because it’s usually wrestlers being not aggressive as they usually are because they feel the stress of being in a finals match. You do not have to agree, heck you coach him if I’m not mistaken and maybe I am, but he just didn’t look the same as he did versus Johnson or Parcel. I just have an opinion and maybe it’s wrong, but I also had an opinion on an unusual number of forfeits this year, especially after some upsets took place. 

If you don't understand 1-0 scores, you must not watch much high level wrestling at all. I encourage you to watch the NCAA tournament in a couple weeks.