Shot Clock

Waker

27 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

Defend the ball. Deny the pass. Trap.

NFHS has the 5 second closely guarded rule. So literally the ONLY way a team can just stand there with the ball is if the defense allows them to. It's that simple.

If team A can move without the ball, pass and run a motion offense better than team B can defend, why should team A be penalized for it?

Nobody wants to watch keep away and players don’t want to play that way

if I have a D 1 guard you aren’t taking the ball from my team

58 minutes ago, 1983 said:

Nobody wants to watch keep away and players don’t want to play that way

if I have a D 1 guard you aren’t taking the ball from my team

Who cares if nobody wants to watch it? "Fan enjoyment" shouldn't be a consideration when it comes to rules/policy of interscholastic athletics. 

11 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

Who cares if nobody wants to watch it? "Fan enjoyment" shouldn't be a consideration when it comes to rules/policy of interscholastic athletics. 

Absolutely agree...if that were the determining factor, why not move the fences in to 200' in baseball, and allow only shotgun formation in football with no running plays. Offense only shines against good defense if you appreciate the nuances of the game.

41 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

If I had a kid playing I would absolutely care that nobody wants to watch the slow play.  I sat through our high school team playing slow last season and it was hard to watch and people didn’t come and there was no excitement and players hated playing like that.  Look sometimes you have to change with the times like the new Major League Baseball rules.  If it’s about the kids then I would absolutely say they would want a shot clock.  I honestly don’t think it would change teams game plans much until 4th quarter.  And to be honest I’m just arguing to argue.  I would like to see a shot clock but I can understand the problems it may bring.  

21 hours ago, crazzyness said:

Fan enjoyment actually is very important for interscolastic athletics because a lot of teams depend on revenue from gates and concessions to fund their programs. Simply put, need fans in the stands. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 10:10 PM, tradertwo said:

Absolutely agree...if that were the determining factor, why not move the fences in to 200' in baseball, and allow only shotgun formation in football with no running plays. Offense only shines against good defense if you appreciate the nuances of the game.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:42 PM, 1983 said:

If I had a kid playing I would absolutely care that nobody wants to watch the slow play.  I sat through our high school team playing slow last season and it was hard to watch and people didn’t come and there was no excitement and players hated playing like that.  Look sometimes you have to change with the times like the new Major League Baseball rules.  If it’s about the kids then I would absolutely say they would want a shot clock.  I honestly don’t think it would change teams game plans much until 4th quarter.  And to be honest I’m just arguing to argue.  I would like to see a shot clock but I can understand the problems it may bring.  

I have been a fan of the shot clock until now. After watching this years state Tournament and kids having to play with more of a sense of urgency if there were a shot clock there would be no players on the floor because they would all foul out. Thought the refs were pretty consistent in the way they called but I can see where a team would want to run some clock with lots of players in foul trouble. Thought the officials called it tight for the most part 

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

I have been a fan of the shot clock until now. After watching this years state Tournament and kids having to play with more of a sense of urgency if there were a shot clock there would be no players on the floor because they would all foul out. Thought the refs were pretty consistent in the way they called but I can see where a team would want to run some clock with lots of players in foul trouble. Thought the officials called it tight for the most part 

In all three of our games, I thought we had really consistent, good officiating.  Of course, there were some you go, "Ok" on but that is to be expected and on both sides.  

2 hours ago, pioneer42 said:

To me, it's just part of the game. I watched multiple teams there utilize the "keep away" strategy while leading from mid 4'th quarter, and not necessarily just holding the ball but looking to capitalize on their situation and get great scoring opportunities when the defense was forced to extend out from the basket. Sort of like fouling when behind at the end of games in reverse...that gives the team trailing an opportunity to have more possessions in the time that is left, and "stalling" reduces (possessions) opportunities for your opponent to make up deficits.

9 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

In all three of our games, I thought we had really consistent, good officiating.  Of course, there were some you go, "Ok" on but that is to be expected and on both sides.  

Our games weren’t that bad either but the South Side games were really bad. A foul every possession in the Elizabethton game on both sides for a long time. The Livingston Academy game got real touchy as well and  other games were called just where the refs dominated the games a whole bunch. Micah Hart fouled out on one possession on two touch fouls but they called that way on the other team some as well so it evened out but could you imagine having a shot clock where girls had to play more aggressive to get a shot off with them calling fouls like this?? Just don’t think the HS game is not ready for a shot clock right now. 

10 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

To me, it's just part of the game. I watched multiple teams there utilize the "keep away" strategy while leading from mid 4'th quarter, and not necessarily just holding the ball but looking to capitalize on their situation and get great scoring opportunities when the defense was forced to extend out from the basket. Sort of like fouling when behind at the end of games in reverse...that gives the team trailing an opportunity to have more possessions in the time that is left, and "stalling" reduces (possessions) opportunities for your opponent to make up deficits.

I agree with you especially after watching this tournament. The HS game is just not set up for a shot clock right now. We are doing all we can to get officials much less adding more responsibility to them.