Tournament Bracket Reveal

westtn12

9 hours ago, Bearettesalltheway said:

Gamea are more evenly spaces now. Quarters are on tueaday,  semis thursday and finals saturday. Bradley/blackman for title

With having 4 classes and 8 teams per class going to state, this tournament is too long. The added amount of hotel and food expenses can and would put a financial strain on schools. You would also have added travel expenses should a school try and go home after each round. The current system also puts a strain on fans who can't afford to take a potential entire week off of work plus travel should their team go deep into the tournament. Personally, I'd like to see a format where only 2 teams from each class go to state and the championship games played on Saturday.  The two teams in each class arrive Friday morning, have a scheduled practice at the tournament site. You only spend 1 night in a hotel. I believe crowds for championship Saturday would be bigger and it would be more cost effective for all the schools and fans. 

Obviously,  some changes would have to be made to earlier tournament rounds. Take top 2 out of each district and advance to region round where it's one and done. You then take all region winners and they advance to a substate round and teams are eliminated until you have 2 teams that advance to state. The entire tournament is a survival of the fittest. 

The end goal increases urgency at district level with the heat being turned up with each advancing game. The result should be bigger crowds as each game is more meaningful. Games to determine the state championship teams could be held at multiple neutral sites around the state with each site hosting multiple games on both boys and girls sides. Personally,  I think my idea, or some variation of it, would be a win for the TSSAA and more importantly a win for the schools, fans, and most importantly the athletes.

11 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

With having 4 classes and 8 teams per class going to state, this tournament is too long. The added amount of hotel and food expenses can and would put a financial strain on schools. You would also have added travel expenses should a school try and go home after each round. The current system also puts a strain on fans who can't afford to take a potential entire week off of work plus travel should their team go deep into the tournament. Personally, I'd like to see a format where only 2 teams from each class go to state and the championship games played on Saturday.  The two teams in each class arrive Friday morning, have a scheduled practice at the tournament site. You only spend 1 night in a hotel. I believe crowds for championship Saturday would be bigger and it would be more cost effective for all the schools and fans. 

Obviously,  some changes would have to be made to earlier tournament rounds. Take top 2 out of each district and advance to region round where it's one and done. You then take all region winners and they advance to a substate round and teams are eliminated until you have 2 teams that advance to state. The entire tournament is a survival of the fittest. 

The end goal increases urgency at district level with the heat being turned up with each advancing game. The result should be bigger crowds as each game is more meaningful. Games to determine the state championship teams could be held at multiple neutral sites around the state with each site hosting multiple games on both boys and girls sides. Personally,  I think my idea, or some variation of it, would be a win for the TSSAA and more importantly a win for the schools, fans, and most importantly the athletes.

Not too long for people who like basketball. Teams that play Tuesday won’t have to play until Thursday or Friday if they win. The more days the more money. No way TSSAA would go with an idea like this and I wouldn’t vote for it either. 

28 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Not too long for people who like basketball. Teams that play Tuesday won’t have to play until Thursday or Friday if they win. The more days the more money. No way TSSAA would go with an idea like this and I wouldn’t vote for it either. 

It might not be too long for hoops junkies who have the money and time to spend the better part of the week in hotels or driving. Schools who live close and advance don't have near the expenses that distant schools do. Lost revenue  in going from elite 8 to championship 2 format in nature that would be made up with additional substate or round 1 and 2 games that would be more regionalized and logically draw more fans thus generating additional income.  I believe it would be a more cost effective format with higher revenues. MTSU also gets a break in that their facility isn't tied up for two straight weeks either. Don't be so afraid of change. Consider alternatives. Find ways to make things potentially  better, yet more cost effective.

1 minute ago, ReitzFan said:

It might not be too long for hoops junkies who have the money and time to spend the better part of the week in hotels or driving. Schools who live close and advance don't have near the expenses that distant schools do. Lost revenue  in going from elite 8 to championship 2 format in nature that would be made up with additional substate or round 1 and 2 games that would be more regionalized and logically draw more fans thus generating additional income.  I believe it would be a more cost effective format with higher revenues. MTSU also gets a break in that their facility isn't tied up for two straight weeks either. Don't be so afraid of change. Consider alternatives. Find ways to make things potentially  better, yet more cost effective.

Change is the reason we have 4 team Districts. Up to me we would have 3 Classes. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

Change is the reason we have 4 team Districts. Up to me we would have 3 Classes. 

I do not disagree that 4 team districts are wrong. I also don't like that fact that you can lose 3 tournament games and still be a state champion. Don't disregard all change though. Sometime it's for the better but some are just afraid of it

Until championship,  games should be played at region tournament winner site. Odd numbered years use odd regions,  1, 3, 5, 7. Even numbered use even regions 2, 4, 6, 8. If final 4 is all region winners from odd region then do neutral site.  Have title best of 3 at rotating venues in east,  middle,  west, . TBA in knoxville, then vanderbilts gym,  then   fedex forum regardkess of who is playing blackman or region 4 benefits every year on travel costs by having it at glass house. 

4 team districts are crazy with all getting to advance. Teams with 2 wins advancing. Ridiculous 

No problem with 4 classes but the system has to be changed. You should at least have to win the district consolation game and 1 seeds get a bye. 

I’d also like to see the whole thing done the way Mississippi does it.  Send the 2 or 3 losers of a district to completely different regions so they could all make it if they were good enough    Travel would be more but the best teams would make it    They also play girls and boys together over 2 weeks