2024 Class 1A Early Predictions

bballfan12121

On 3/14/2024 at 11:07 AM, UCSportsFan said:

Well the school was closed down and part of it was because they got caught cheating by the TSSAA so they had to forfeit all of their football championships. I don’t know what they did about basketball, but they should’ve had to forfeit them as well because it was the same group of kids, same group of parents that we’re doing it.  I don’t blame the kids at all. I blame the parents and the administration because they knew exactly what they were doing. This school is built in that same mold.  They are doing the exact same things that Temple was doing.  They are recruiting from all over Chattanooga, Hamilton county even Georgia and anywhere else they can get kids in and then they are playing against division 1 schools. it’s not gonna happen this year probably not next year, but eventually it will come out, and the same thing will happen to this school.  It’s an unfair advantage, and that is why they have separate classifications. One for privates and one for public schools. This school is pretending to be a public school but they are operating as a private school when it comes to sports. This coaching carousel they have with the brothers switching places,the personal trainer thing going on, is shady. If it walks like a duck …

Well I've been seeing you rant on here about Tennessee Temple Academy a while now, and I've contemplated correcting you, but haven't really had the inclination until now, when it's clear you haven't one iota of a clue what you're really talking about...

Tennessee Temple never "forfeited" any football championships because they never won any. Heck they only ever made they playoffs twice, made it to the quarterfinals once, in '06 I believe. 

Their championship winning basketball teams ('02, '03, '07?) were never found guilty of any wrongdoing either. What got them seriously looked at was they DID get into some rather shady recruiting type territory after the Skogen family had all went through. But by that time, the writing was on the wall. See, by the end of the 2000s, they had to shutter their athletic program due to a declining attendance, and the school was closed by Tennessee Temple University in 2011 I believe.

You keep talking like Temple Academy was some pop up outta nowhere fake school, when in reality they were a school set up and run by the university, and they'd had a high school since the early 70's. Their rise to prominence occured when the Skogen kids (one every two years, like clockwork) started reaching high school age, along with the Wadleys, who's dad was the coach. Yes, the Skogens were from North GA, but they'd been in the school for a while because of the family ties to the Highland Park Church, which kinda partnered up with the University. 

In the mid 80's they had over 1K kids enrolled in the school. By the late 2000's they'd lost over 85% of their enrollment, and were shut down. Their decline went hand in hand with the University, which by the early 2010's saw a decline in enrollment of over 90% from the early 80's enrollment of 4k+, and they went belly up in like 2014. I've heard it had to do with some sort of theological disagreement with the direction the new folks running it were taking, but who knows. You saying the school shutting down because of "cheating" in football is just incorrect. They were going to shut down anyway, because the school was failing. Just as the university was failing. 

Moral of the story, you calling Chat Prep "tHe NeW tEmPlE" is just bogus. Chat Prep is obviously just a handpicked travel team that they set up a charter school for so they could win some hardware. Tennessee Temple Academy was a legitimate secondary school operated by a legitimate university, for decades. Yes, I'm sure they recruited some kids along they way, but ALL private schools recruited. That's just the way it was, that's just the way it is. We had a good friendly rivalry with them, and we were only best them once, in the game that mattered the most. But when they were winning championships, there was nothing going on there that was any more nefarious than what was going on at Chatt Christian, or CPA, or DCA, or Friendship Christian, or Nashville Christian, or Clarksville Academy, or USJ, or any other private school powers from that time. They just happened to have a family of extremely talented basketball players, that were associated with the school anyway, hit high school at just the right time. The comparison between them and Chat Prep is unfounded. 

5 hours ago, Jaychapman said:

Never thought I’d be a Clifton fan but here I am hoping they win it all / what a story 

I think every person in the state of Tennessee aside from Chat Prep family members are gonna be Frank Hughes fans tomorrow. Go Lions!

47 minutes ago, crazzyness said:

Well I've been seeing you rant on here about Tennessee Temple Academy a while now, and I've contemplated correcting you, but haven't really had the inclination until now, when it's clear you haven't one iota of a clue what you're really talking about...

Tennessee Temple never "forfeited" any football championships because they never won any. Heck they only ever made they playoffs twice, made it to the quarterfinals once, in '06 I believe. 

Their championship winning basketball teams ('02, '03, '07?) were never found guilty of any wrongdoing either. What got them seriously looked at was they DID get into some rather shady recruiting type territory after the Skogen family had all went through. But by that time, the writing was on the wall. See, by the end of the 2000s, they had to shutter their athletic program due to a declining attendance, and the school was closed by Tennessee Temple University in 2011 I believe.

You keep talking like Temple Academy was some pop up outta nowhere fake school, when in reality they were a school set up and run by the university, and they'd had a high school since the early 70's. Their rise to prominence occured when the Skogen kids (one every two years, like clockwork) started reaching high school age, along with the Wadleys, who's dad was the coach. Yes, the Skogens were from North GA, but they'd been in the school for a while because of the family ties to the Highland Park Church, which kinda partnered up with the University. 

In the mid 80's they had over 1K kids enrolled in the school. By the late 2000's they'd lost over 85% of their enrollment, and were shut down. Their decline went hand in hand with the University, which by the early 2010's saw a decline in enrollment of over 90% from the early 80's enrollment of 4k+, and they went belly up in like 2014. I've heard it had to do with some sort of theological disagreement with the direction the new folks running it were taking, but who knows. You saying the school shutting down because of "cheating" in football is just incorrect. They were going to shut down anyway, because the school was failing. Just as the university was failing. 

Moral of the story, you calling Chat Prep "tHe NeW tEmPlE" is just bogus. Chat Prep is obviously just a handpicked travel team that they set up a charter school for so they could win some hardware. Tennessee Temple Academy was a legitimate secondary school operated by a legitimate university, for decades. Yes, I'm sure they recruited some kids along they way, but ALL private schools recruited. That's just the way it was, that's just the way it is. We had a good friendly rivalry with them, and we were only best them once, in the game that mattered the most. But when they were winning championships, there was nothing going on there that was any more nefarious than what was going on at Chatt Christian, or CPA, or DCA, or Friendship Christian, or Nashville Christian, or Clarksville Academy, or USJ, or any other private school powers from that time. They just happened to have a family of extremely talented basketball players, that were associated with the school anyway, hit high school at just the right time. The comparison between them and Chat Prep is unfounded. 

My mistake on the State title in football it was their region title I believe they had to vacate. Bottom line is this school is mirroring the old Temple school in so many ways when it comes to boys basketball. Now how they started out or when is of no concern. How they ended and what they were doing when it ended is very similar to how this school is starting out. There ARE similarities between the two. Temple didn’t all of a sudden get good at basketball in the early to mid 2000’s by doing what they had been in the 80’s and 90’s. And you’re correct ALL private schools recruited and still do. My point in all this is this school is playing in Div 1’s lowest classification while doing what private schools do and that sir is against the rules. 

21 minutes ago, BackThatPassUp said:

let’s looks at enrollment numbers…

Frank Hughes 93

Santa Fe 154

Chattanooga Prep 246

Jellico 273

Memphis Middle College 311

North Greene 317

Union City 356

Gordonsville 365

oh and Chatt Prep is an all boys school…

A simple solution would be to double Chattanooga Prep's #'s since no females go to that school which would push them into AA. 

• Like 2

The school I pull for, Hampton, was moved from A to AA this year however if we could only count boys we would be below Chattanooga prep numbers. Heck I'm sure there's lots of schools that would be in single a if they could only count the boy population. It's just not a level playing field. Period.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BackThatPassUp said:

let’s looks at enrollment numbers…

Frank Hughes 93

Santa Fe 154

Chattanooga Prep 246

Jellico 273

Memphis Middle College 311

North Greene 317

Union City 356

Gordonsville 365

oh and Chatt Prep is an all boys school…

It is simply not a level playing field. If schools could pick strictly off their boys, this would look entirely different. I can’t stand adults cheating and the powers that be allowing it. I never be convinced that Union City hasn’t fudged their numbers for years. Good luck to Frank Hughes today.