Coaching Changes

maddams

There hasn't been a lot of significant coaching movement up to this point. I know Warren County is open.  Looks like Summit is open now - John Wild headed to Santa Fe (interesting move).  Also heard Giles County is open, though they have not been competitive in a long time.  Any other changes out there?

8 hours ago, maddams said:

There hasn't been a lot of significant coaching movement up to this point. I know Warren County is open.  Looks like Summit is open now - John Wild headed to Santa Fe (interesting move).  Also heard Giles County is open, though they have not been competitive in a long time.  Any other changes out there?

Why would Wild move to Santa Fe? 

11 hours ago, ecu said:

Why would Wild move to Santa Fe? 

Williamson Co pays well but there are some negatives about it as well.  I'm not surprised Wild left Summit, but going to Santa Fe is strange.  He's not a young coach, so taking on a major rebuild at a small school with limited resources is surprising and doesn't really match his previous moves.

Coach Wild will be the schools full time athletic director while simultaneously coaching GBB. That isn’t likely to happen in WCS, esp if AD’s become permanent, full-time positions (2024-25 school year?)

As for pay, WCS basketball & football HC’s max out after 15 years at $10,498. (AD’s in WCS get a $4,000 supplement).

https://docs.wcs.edu/pdf/hr/salaries/Athletic-Supplements-2022-2023.pdf

Assistant coaches are moving more than head coaches.  I think Warren County will have an entirely new staff and Tullahoma looks like they will have all new assistants but the same head coach, seems nobody really wants to work for the current coach and his player and staff turnover reflects on that.

Lincoln County might add to its already experienced  staff and build on their success.  I have been hearing that Coffee County will also have a staff position open up. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hal Murrell has been hired as the new Summit girls’ basketball coach, the school announced today.

Murrell was the girls’ coach at Forrest High School (Chapel Hill).

He’s also coached at Columbia & Dickson Co. among others.

He replaces John Wild, who departed for a coaching & AD position at Santa Fe.

May 9, 2023

Reported By: Charles Pulliam  @cspulliam

4 hours ago, rocketman said:

Hal Murrell has been hired as the new Summit girls’ basketball coach, the school announced today.

May 9, 2023

I don’t know much about Murrell. He has not been very successful at previous stops, but that could be lack of talent.

Surprised their weren’t some bigger names looking to get that Williamson Co money 

16 hours ago, maddams said:

I don’t know much about Murrell. He has not been very successful at previous stops, but that could be lack of talent.

Surprised their weren’t some bigger names looking to get that Williamson Co money 

Not a great record anywhere he has been and does not stay anywhere very long.  I have heard franklin county has lost some players and tullahoma has not had many at their spring workouts, so might be a few more jobs in the midstate opening up if you can’t keep players or get players in your program.

On 5/10/2023 at 3:36 PM, rocketman said:

May 9, 2023

Murrell did a great job with the boys team at Columbia. Good luck to him at Summit.