If you are scared just say so….

LadyCavsFan

On 6/26/2023 at 7:41 AM, LadyCavsFan said:

Now that’s funny.  Upperman won’t play Cookeville and that’s very well known.  I am curious why though.  But there is a new team to join them on the scared list this year.    I guess after losing 8 out of the last 10 White County decided they have gotten enough L’s and won’t play us this year either.   I guess they needed to add one more cupcake…

That's laughable. Just like it did in football, CHS would lose the majority of games if it played UHS in hoops in both boys and girls. Not every time, but the majority of time. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 12:21 PM, Tully123 said:

White Co will not play Cookeville because of the girls program!!!!! Boys coach would play but the WC Girl's coach won't play anybody he doesn't have to play. That game has been played for as long as I can remember. Upperman and Cookeville should play every year, would be a great gate and great game. Upperman girls coach is famous for dropping teams that beat her, Cookeville was 30 better than my Lady Cats last year and we almost beat Upperman in region, huge huge difference in 4A AND 3A. This is where AD'S need to step in and make these games happen. I can promise you that Cookeville wants both games.

Not as big a diffrence as you think. The 2020-2021 3a champions Macon blew out the 4a champions in the regular season, Blackman.  Those 2017-2021 Macon and Upperman teams were better than any of the bigger classification teams in the Cookeville district by far. It's changes year to year. 

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan
Spell

On 9/15/2023 at 9:18 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

My 2 cents

This is not a Coach/Player decision. This is an administration decision. Rivalries are good until they aren't... Nothing like a good rival game. Let them play. Increase security to control fans and ensure chants and behavior doesn't get out of hand. Gotta be considerate of the fact that there are kids in the gym. then all that is left is to go to center court and throw the ball up.  

I think eventually this will be a mute point when Cookeville builds its next HS down by Prescott. It will split the enrollment between the 2 Cookeville schools and likely put both of the Cookeville schools in a region with Upperman, Livingston, Sparta, Crossville, and Stone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UpperCumberlandMan said:

That's laughable. Just like it did in football, CHS would lose the majority of games if it played UHS in hoops in both boys and girls. Not every time, but the majority of time. 

I disagree.  I think it would be such a great rivalry.   I really think it would be very even across the years between both boys and girls basketball.  Very competitive games .      We could play 1 game a year at the Hoop. Split gate.   How cool would that be?   

But , sadly, it doesn't seem to be in the cards with those currently in charge of these things.  

Maybe one day we can have a good baxter/cookeville rivalry to replace the one we lost in sparta when they quit playing us!

Actually I think it would have been a very close matchup throughout the years.   That is what I said in a different post.    It would be a rival game and most rival games have a close series.  

In football UHS definitely has had a better team as of late but the series isn’t even close.  

Not as big a diffrence as you think. The 2020-2021 3a champions Macon blew out the 4a champions in the regular season, Blackman.  Those 2017-2021 Macon and Upperman teams were better than any of the bigger classification teams in the Cookeville district by far. It's changes year to year. 

You should know that Cookeville played Macon in that 2021 season.   Macon won by 3 in the final minutes if I remember right.  It was a great game.   People don’t realize how close those teams were because they don’t play.   Which is why I think they should play every year.  It would be great basketball and a great rivalry.  

On 11/30/2023 at 5:49 AM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

I think eventually this will be a mute point when Cookeville builds its next HS down by Prescott. It will split the enrollment between the 2 Cookeville schools and likely put both of the Cookeville schools in a region with Upperman, Livingston, Sparta, Crossville, and Stone. 

This. My opinion is Cookeville will be able to compete on a broader scale (more competitive across multiple sports, not just basketball) if/when they split the high school into 2 smaller schools. It should be Cookeville North and Cookeville South, imo.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:41 AM, UpperCumberlandMan said:

Macon won the AA championship that year and Blackman the AAA as that was sadly the last year of 3 classes in basketball. 

On 11/30/2023 at 9:20 AM, LadyCavsFan said:

Actually I think it would have been a very close matchup throughout the years.   That is what I said in a different post.    It would be a rival game and most rival games have a close series.  

In football UHS definitely has had a better team as of late but the series isn’t even close.  

Just a snapshot from Coach T for the last 10 years Cookeville girls and Upperman girls. Cookeville overall record 2013-2022 119-115 District 54-35. With 3 seasons 500 or less and in the district 5 times.

Upperman overall record 296-49 District 115-22. With 1district season of 500 or less. Understanding this really doesn't mean a lot. I think Upperman is very lopsided in the win collum over the last 10 years. The last 2 years Cookeville had a really good team. IMHO over the last 10 year if they played 20 times Upperman wins 15.

After a casual glance down through 04-05 season I think it's still very lop sided in Upperman's favor. I did see where they played in the 07/08 season in the Mid-South Classic. Upperman won 46-38. In that season Cookeville was 24-8 and 12-2. Pure speculation on my part. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 8:20 AM, LadyCavsFan said:

Ok series wise I’ll give you CHS football over UHS for the first 14 years of a 20 year comparison so CHS wins that one but as of late which is all these kids nowadays care about, UHS dominated CHS. On the girls side it’s not close. Upperman would have a decided margin over Cookeville. Cookeville used to be Jackson County’s home coming so not even a discussion worth having. On the boy’s basketball side of it is say it would be close to even. But You’ll never make me believe Upperman would not play Cookeville. The only competitive game now would be the girls game. UHS boys would dominate in football and basketball and Then you’d see an exodus, especially on the football side to Upperman. 

Edited by UCSportsFan

16 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Ok series wise I’ll give you CHS football over UHS for the first 14 years of a 20 year comparison so CHS wins that one but as of late which is all these kids nowadays care about, UHS dominated CHS. On the girls side it’s not close. Upperman would have a decided margin over Cookeville. Cookeville used to be Jackson County’s home coming so not even a discussion worth having. On the boy’s basketball side of it is say it would be close to even. But You’ll never make me believe Upperman would not play Cookeville. The only competitive game now would be the girls game. UHS boys would dominate in football and basketball and Then you’d see an exodus, especially on the football side to Upperman. 

Tell me you are biased without telling me you are biased.   

The thread has now become another baxter/Cookeville thread.   I think we all know how this is about to go...