Huntingdon Mustangs vs Mckenzie rebels

horse

I have been trying to come up with something to say about the game and I just don't have words for it. Penalties, poor offensive game plan, soft defense, the officiating, just all around bad.

We have needed a coaching change for quite a few years now, we will make a run in the playoffs, probably won't make it to the big show just like years past. Past teams loaded with talent and always cut short due to coaching.

Hopefully we can figure it out and have a decent season, but if tonight is any indication for the rest of the season the basketballs will be out early in Huntingdon.

Tough game for the Mustangs. Lots of DUMB penalties. A couple calls that didn't really go our way, but they ultimately didn't affect the outcome.

Offensively, this was one of the most lackluster performances I've seen from Huntingdon in the last 4-5 years. If Swenson had let Ensley throw as much as he let Eubanks tonight, we would have won state a few years ago, imo. I'm glad to see that the offensive philosophy is evolving so I won't denigrate the play calling too much. Lots of dropped passes. Several inaccurate throws.. These boys are just going to have to execute better..

Defensively we looked good vs the run game, but way too many missed tackles. We had flashes vs the pass game, but only when we got pressure on the QB. Without a pass rush he was able to pick our secondary apart with the quick screens and slants. 

Huntingdon will improve as they always do throughout the year, but folks definitely need to be pumping the brakes on the state title contender talk. You won't hear it out of me unless I see some major improvements during region play.

As for McKenzie, look out 1A.. These boys are still really good. Congrats to the Rebels. What's this 3 straight vs the Mustangs? Hopefully next year our guys can show a little more fire for this county rivalry game. Good luck the rest of the year to the Rebels. I'll be rooting for you all the rest of the way out.

Edited by sportsnutz
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, sportsnutz said:

Tough game for the Mustangs. Lots of DUMB penalties. A couple calls that didn't really go our way, but they ultimately didn't affect the outcome.

Offensively, this was one of the most lackluster performances I've seen from Huntingdon in the last 4-5 years. If Swenson had let Ensley throw as much as he let Eubanks tonight, we would have won state a few years ago, imo. I'm glad to see that the offensive philosophy is evolving so I won't denigrate the play calling too much. Lots of dropped passes. Several inaccurate throws.. These boys are just going to have to execute better..

Defensively we looked good vs the run game, but way too many missed tackles. We had flashes vs the pass game, but only when we got pressure on the QB. Without a pass rush he was able to pick our secondary apart with the quick screens and slants. 

Huntingdon will improve as they always do throughout the year, but folks definitely need to be pumping the brakes on the state title contender talk. You won't hear it out of me unless I see some major improvements during region play.

As for McKenzie, look out 1A.. These boys are still really good. Congrats to the Rebels. What's this 3 straight vs the Mustangs? Hopefully next year our guys can show a little more fire for this county rivalry game. Good luck the rest of the year to the Rebels. I'll be rooting for you all the rest of the way out.

This is 4 straight, and as for the Mustangs clean up the turnovers, and dropped passes and make a deep run! I'll be pulling for y'all the rest of the season!

7 hours ago, maverick348 said:

I think both teams found some weak spots tonight. Hopefully both teams will make necessary adjustments and have winning seasons. 
Proud of the McKenzie Rebels.

McKenzie will look to improve upon the running game. The Rebels are going to have to be able to chew clock and move the chains in a lot of games so I am looking for the run blocking to improve each week. I thought the line did pretty well in pass protections. The kicking game is solid.

Huntingdon will look to improve upon its pass defense. Not sure how much Riverside and Milan throw the ball? As usual Huntingdon moved the ball on the ground pretty well. I thought McKenzie did a good job not giving up a lot of home run plays. Huntingdon's run defense is pretty good gave up 2 big runs but besides that they will stick it up in there. One last thing as a spectator I usually have a harder time picking up who has the ball for Huntingdon for some reason it seemed easier to find the ball in this game. I know my eyesight has not improved.

Carroll County will once again be in the thick of it come playoffs.