Star players playing different sports?

Turtle

Most the times at smaller schools, the star player usually goes out and play a different sport like football/track/wrestling/baseball etc... Are you all against this or do you welcome the opportunity ?  There's a lot of buzz around town, that our local star player at AE shouldn't be going out for football because of the risk of injury.  However, the star player is trying his best to get his school back on the map of talking about State Championships.  So let me know what your thoughts are about star players playing different sports, you for it or against and why?

Let me begin by saying kids are only in high school “ONE TIME” and I firmly believe that kids should participate in a sport every season.  Not only do the kids make friends from other sports but they also get coached by someone different that could possibly have a completely different philosophy. By being a multiple sport athlete you really reduce the risk of overuse injuries.  With all of this being said, for this to work at a high level the school must have a unified strength and conditioning program where the kids are on a very structured and regimented strength and conditioning program.  One of the most successful athletic programs I have ever seen had a great football coach that required the following:  all football players were required to play basketball or wrestle after football season.  In the Spring those same players that did not play baseball or soccer were required to participate on the track & field team.  That school won state championships in football, basketball, baseball and track & field along with multiple kids signing with a power 5 conference programs.  The athletes lifted every day after school for one hour and then went on to the various sport practices.

Edited by cbg

Multi sport athletes are awesome. However, every sport is year around now. Travel baseball, AAU basketball, 7v7 football and camps every weekend. I’m not against it but when does the kid get to be a kid 

Also, kids are growing and their body never gets to just recover.

add in weekend “elite” camps that parents are setting up and it is extremely tough on the kids to enjoy high school sports and just be a kid. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, OldSportsGuy said:

Multi sport athletes are awesome. However, every sport is year around now. Travel baseball, AAU basketball, 7v7 football and camps every weekend. I’m not against it but when does the kid get to be a kid 

Also, kids are growing and their body never gets to just recover.

add in weekend “elite” camps that parents are setting up and it is extremely tough on the kids to enjoy high school sports and just be a kid. 

Totally agree with the sports being year round.  

On 8/9/2023 at 8:19 AM, cbg said:

Let me begin by saying kids are only in high school “ONE TIME” and I firmly believe that kids should participate in a sport every season.  Not only do the kids make friends from other sports but they also get coached by someone different that could possibly have a completely different philosophy. By being a multiple sport athlete you really reduce the risk of overuse injuries.  With all of this being said, for this to work at a high level the school must have a unified strength and conditioning program where the kids are on a very structured and regimented strength and conditioning program.  One of the most successful athletic programs I have ever seen had a great football coach that required the following:  all football players were required to play basketball or wrestle after football season.  In the Spring those same players that did not play baseball or soccer were required to participate on the track & field team.  That school won state championships in football, basketball, baseball and track & field along with multiple kids signing with a power 5 conference programs.  The athletes lifted every day after school for one hour and then went on to the various sport practices.

Y.O.L.O You Only Live Once, I totally agree with you as well.  However, not all schools have that perfect strenght and conditioning coach.  Some schools just use their football coaches to teach that class .  

I think that too many grown-up's try and dictate what the student athletes do. Mentioned earlier in the thread that a coach required "his" players to participate in specific other sports, and we all know "that guy (or lady)" who doesn't tell kids that they can't play other sports, but is quick to deliver the line about there always being someone working to take his spot while he's doing something else, or if he get's hurt he might not be able to take his old job back when he's ready. Then there's good 'ol dad (or mom), who's super competitive and pushes the kid for their own sense of accomplishment to be "the dude" on every team. Flip side is the parent(s) who irrationally fear that Junior will be in a body cast if he plays football, or will blow a knee playing basketball, or get beaned in the skull by a baseball and be a vegetable for the rest of his life.

You do in fact only live once...I believe that kids should be supported in whatever they're interested in, and not subjected to the pressures of disappointing the adults whom they respect, by either pushing them toward or away from doing something that they should be able to reflect on fondly later in life, not look back on with regrets.

2 hours ago, OldSportsGuy said:

However, every sport is year around now. Travel baseball, AAU basketball, 7v7 football and camps every weekend. 

But it doesn't need to be year around. I've always encouraged student athletes to play multiple sports. Ultimately, familes need to do what they believe is best for them but travel teams and 7v7 camps aren't required / necessary to play college. I've coached HS basketball in a lot of places (Puerto Rico, WA, HI, NC, AK and TN) and have had plenty of student athletes that continued playing a sport in college. The overwhelming majority of those were multi-sport guys and many didn't do their main sport 24/7/365.

"Elite Camps" aren't necessary either. I think they have their place (campus visit) and can be fun/exciting while providing an opportunity to compete with other talented players. HOWEVER, more often then not they're money grabs that stroke players and parents egos. Big schools know who they're recruiting and rarely do they find a hidden gem at an "elite camp"

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, CoachAnderson said:

But it doesn't need to be year around. I've always encouraged student athletes to play multiple sports. Ultimately, familes need to do what they believe is best for them but travel teams and 7v7 camps aren't required / necessary to play college. I've coached HS basketball in a lot of places (Puerto Rico, WA, HI, NC, AK and TN) and have had plenty of student athletes that continued playing a sport in college. The overwhelming majority of those were multi-sport guys and many didn't do their main sport 24/7/365.

"Elite Camps" aren't necessary either. I think they have their place (campus visit) and can be fun/exciting while providing an opportunity to compete with other talented players. HOWEVER, more often then not they're money grabs that stroke players and parents egos. Big schools know who they're recruiting and rarely do they find a hidden gem at an "elite camp"

Exactly!!!! Great post

• Like 1