Transfers

wssm

6 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

please don't take this the wrong way, but just going to Baylor isn't going to get you a quality education! I've coached kids from a lot of different schools back when I used to help, I have a kid that could have went to Baylor, I've had plenty of friends with Baylor and even McCallie children and you first have to take advantage of the education you get and that goes with ANY school! I know kids from Cleveland(not wrestlers) that are in the TVAC program and they will graduate from high school itself with a 2 year associates degree already as a high school senior. Girlfriends daughter doesn't even attend classes at Cleveland anymore because of the program and she will be at MTSU to finish her 2 years there for her BS in education and still be 19-20 years old. My son is a freshman and is in a program that will teach him how to code, how to run computer systems and by the time he graduates he will be able to step into a job(last year they had 100% job placement) OR he can go into college with pretty much an associates degree! You can go to pretty much ANY public school and get a very good education AND go to about any college you want as long as you put the time and effort in to take advantage of the education! You don't have to leave home and stay on campus as a 14-15 year old by yourself(yes I know they have house masters) but you don't have to have that to get a GREAT QUALITY education, I've seen many morons graduate from Baylor and McCallie(I work with quite a few LOL) just as I have from any school out there. The reason they usually do better is you have to usually pay very good money to send your kid there, so parents stay very involved in their child's education. I mean my oldest graduated 3 years ago from a public school, 31 ACT score and plenty of offers to go to a college he wanted to attend(Ga Tech, FSU and a plenty others).

I'm not sure they said anywhere in that post that Baylor would offer a better education than DB. What they did say was that Baylor offered them a better opportunity within wrestling. 

16 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

I'm not sure they said anywhere in that post that Baylor would offer a better education than DB. What they did say was that Baylor offered them a better opportunity within wrestling. 

I, for one, think it's a good move for the Norman kids. Baylor's schedule is one a the best in the southeast and I think they will be pushed academically & athletically to be better versions of themselves. It's a tough go for DB but likely, really good for the kids.

This is what he said above, so to be pushed athletically thats most likely completely true, but he did say pushed academically and to push to be better versions of themselves.  Yeah, not sure any of that is true, I've ran into MANY a-holes that graduated from private schools even more so than those that graduated from public schools, usually its the sense of entitlement that comes from them. So yeah he did state academically. So I think it just needs to state they will be pushed to be better athletically and be better wrestling versions of themselves, although I think they still would get that from DB or any school they went to since they have spent the blood sweat and tears to get to where they are.

Edited by cobrakid8

38 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

I, for one, think it's a good move for the Norman kids. Baylor's schedule is one a the best in the southeast and I think they will be pushed academically & athletically to be better versions of themselves. It's a tough go for DB but likely, really good for the kids.

This is what he said above, so to be pushed athletically thats most likely completely true, but he did say pushed academically and to push to be better versions of themselves.  Yeah, not sure any of that is true, I've ran into MANY a-holes that graduated from private schools even more so than those that graduated from public schools, usually its the sense of entitlement that comes from them. So yeah he did state academically. So I think it just needs to state they will be pushed to be better athletically and be better wrestling versions of themselves, although I think they still would get that from DB or any school they went to since they have spent the blood sweat and tears to get to where they are.

So because your kids are smart, and because you know a couple kids who are a-holes who went to private school means that they can't get a good education at Baylor? It means that THEY will now become a-holes for going to Baylor?

Do you hear how idiotic your biases sound?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

It’s ok if they wish to transfer to Baylor!  The argument is that kids transferring into boarding schools should be required to sit out one academic year if they have already established an athletic record at another school.  If these student athletes don’t want to sit out one year then enroll at the school as a freshman or have a legitimate change of address with their family and this is not a topic for discussion.  

Someone ask the question as to what Father Ryan would do to counter the latest transfers into Baylor.  Unless Father Ryan makes the decision to become a boarding school I don’t see the Irish having any options.  I will say that if you look at the Father Ryan roster it looks very similar to the Nashville Catholic roster from a few years ago.  The rosters at Christian Brothers and MBA also resemble those of the Wave Club and the MBA middle school team.  I am not saying that Baylor is doing anything illegal as they are following the TSSAA rules.  What I am saying is that there is a bad rule with a major loophole that should be closed.  If the boarding schools want to recruit kids from all over the country that is great but they need to withdraw from the TSSAA and compete against the likes of Wyoming Seminary and Blair Academy during the regular season.  

I am still asking the question of how many kids in The Baylor Schools starting lineup competed for the Baylor middle school wrestling team?

Edited by cbg

17 minutes ago, cbg said:

It’s ok if they wish to transfer to Baylor!  The argument is that kids transferring into boarding schools should be required to sit out one academic year if they have already established an athletic record at another school.  If these student athletes don’t want to sit out one year then enroll at the school as a freshman or have a legitimate change of address with their family and this is not a topic for discussion.  

Someone ask the question as to what Father Ryan would do to counter the latest transfers into Baylor.  Unless Father Ryan makes the decision to become a boarding school I don’t see the Irish having any options.  I will say that if you look at the Father Ryan roster it looks very similar to the Nashville Catholic roster from a few years ago.  The rosters at Christian Brothers and MBA also resemble those of the Wave Club and the MBA middle school team.  I am not saying that Baylor is doing anything illegal as they are following the TSSAA rules.  What I am saying is that there is a bad rule with a major loophole that should be closed.  If the boarding schools want to recruit kids from all over the country that is great but they need to withdraw from the TSSAA and compete against the likes of Wyoming Seminary and Blair Academy during the regular season.  

I am still asking the question of how many kids in The Baylor Schools starting lineup competed for the Baylor middle school wrestling team?

I would be willing to bet that Baylor High School has more kids from their middle school than Father Ryan has from their middle school...  Father Ryan has the best recruiting set up in the state. They don't have a middle school so they just recruit the largest city in the state for kids like Tran and then charge them $50 to join their middle school team.  What a pipeline!  I bet if MBA, Baylor, and McCallie only charged $50 for middle school tuition they have great middle school clubs too! 

The few kids Baylor picked up won't make a difference this year.  They may have won 5 straight titles, but it looks like a rebuilding year for the Red Raiders.  Calling it now.  McCallie wins their first title since 1993.  Father Ryan takes 2nd followed by Lakeway and then Baylor in 4th or 5th.  

In regards to wrestling I think a big reason to transfer to Baylor would be access to Bosken and Boom Ranch and everything associated with those two.  I hate to see the Norman kids go, if they did go, as I've really enjoyed watching them wrestle locally. Tougher times coming to NE TN in the near future. I don't see the talent coming up to replace what we've lost in the last five years with respect to public schools. I was thinking the other day and it definitely seems we will be in a downturn for a bit.  Perhaps I'm wrong.  Rough go for DB as this kills any and all title aspirations if true.   Max and Titus were for all practical purposes, automatic wins and they don't have the depth to replace that type of loss.

I think any kid should be able to transfer where they want when they want as many times as they want. It all works out in the end. A couple of kids at DB who would maybe have never wrestled as a starter will now get that opportunity (again, if true).

Edited by oceansize42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobCorker said:

I would be willing to bet that Baylor High School has more kids from their middle school than Father Ryan has from their middle school...  Father Ryan has the best recruiting set up in the state. They don't have a middle school so they just recruit the largest city in the state for kids like Tran and then charge them $50 to join their middle school team.  What a pipeline!  I bet if MBA, Baylor, and McCallie only charged $50 for middle school tuition they have great middle school clubs too! 

The few kids Baylor picked up won't make a difference this year.  They may have won 5 straight titles, but it looks like a rebuilding year for the Red Raiders.  Calling it now.  McCallie wins their first title since 1993.  Father Ryan takes 2nd followed by Lakeway and then Baylor in 4th or 5th.  

Unless Baylor had several kids transfer out of the school since the end of the 2022-23 school year they will win the D2 state wrestling championship unless they have a rash of injuries or implode.  Baylor has so many kids that will finish in the top 3 at the state tournament that it will be difficult for anyone to catch them.  

With regards to Nashville Catholic only charging $50.00 per kid I found that difficult to believe so I took the time to look at the Nashville Catholic Wrestling website and the cost for middle school wrestling is $300.00.  Please don’t shoot from the hip and make things up as it’s so easy to fact check everything.  I do ask what wrestling for a middle school club team has to do with kids enrolling in the high school other than exposure.  Do the kids not have to be academically accepted, pay the full tuition or qualify through a clearing house to receive financial aid to attend Father Ryan?  All of the top high school wrestling programs have club teams that accept kids from each and every school.  

FYI, there is a strong rumor that in the future Father Ryan will be forced to follow the path of Pope Prep (6th-12th grades) and add a middle school.  My hunch is that this will not happen until after the new Catholic grade school and high school in Nolensville open and that is a few year away.

Edited by cbg

16 hours ago, Ummmno said:

So because your kids are smart, and because you know a couple kids who are a-holes who went to private school means that they can't get a good education at Baylor? It means that THEY will now become a-holes for going to Baylor?

Do you hear how idiotic your biases sound?

I work with many and also helped quite a few and hired a few, sorry you can think whatever you want but person to person richy-richy people are a-holes more than those that are not as well off, the funny thing is those that go for things like sports end up picking up some of those same bad habits of looking down at people. I spent a really good amount of time in ALL kinds of different schools including privates when going through for my education degree, heck even spent time in an alternative school lol. So yeah the private school kids can be real A-holes and stuck up individuals. Just like a lot of them think they are above the law when they get into trouble with the law. So yeah they can go and get a good education at Baylor, but they can get a good education at any school in the country as long as someone is willing to put the effort into it. I had the chance and spent a few days at a private school back when I was in school, transferred my happy butt back to my public school, both my kids had a chance to go to a private school, but it's just not worth the squeeze for me(of course one size doesn't fit all) but at the same time someone doesn't say that going to Baylor will make a better person out of someone or make them reach their full potential, sorry that comes from the person putting their effort into things in their life, has nothing to do where you went to school. Plain and simple if they did transfer they did it for wrestling and in the end good luck to them, but lets not pretend its for a better education, its to take advantage of a school that pours a huge amount of money into all their sports. 

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Unless Baylor had several kids transfer out of the school since the end of the 2022-23 school year they will win the D2 state wrestling championship unless they have a rash of injuries or implode.  Baylor has so many kids that will finish in the top 3 at the state tournament that it will be difficult for anyone to catch them.  

With regards to Nashville Catholic only charging $50.00 per kid I found that difficult to believe so I took the time to look at the Nashville Catholic Wrestling website and the cost for middle school wrestling is $300.00.  Please don’t shoot from the hip and make things up as it’s so easy to fact check everything.  I do ask what wrestling for a middle school club team has to do with kids enrolling in the high school other than exposure.  Do the kids not have to be academically accepted, pay the full tuition or qualify through a clearing house to receive financial aid to attend Father Ryan?  All of the top high school wrestling programs have club teams that accept kids from each and every school.  

FYI, there is a strong rumor that in the future Father Ryan will be forced to follow the path of Pope Prep (6th-12th grades) and add a middle school.  My hunch is that this will not happen until after the new Catholic grade school and high school in Nolensville open and that is a few year away.

So Father Ryan's middle school cost $300 and MBA, Baylor, and McCallie charge $30,000 to be on their middle school team.  And you really have to ask the question on why Father Ryan has a better middle school team?  Sadly the private middle schools have priced themselves out of having a good team... Back in the 90s it cost about $4000 to attend a private middle school.  McCallie picked up the real crop of talent this year.  Word is Yost is feeling the burn and went and got himself about 12 hammers.