Knox Co Youth Football

madhatter2269

if anyone would like to leave their feedback that would be great. my son plays youth football and has for 2 years in knox co. both coaching staffs waste about an hour being the QB throwing 30 yard passes 100 MPH. which is a waste of time because no 7 or 8 year old can do that. and the systems have been different each year. the coaches seem like guys who just came together and said we will take a crack at this. coaches and players show up late. it’s just very unorganized. I know maryville&alcoa have had the same coaches and system and have a curriculum for kids to learn. last year coaches would take breaks and smoke cigarettes in front of kids. has it always been this way & why? my son plays linebacker and they always have him and another kid lined up on one side, leaving the left side wide open for big plays. they run out of shotgun which leads to cost less fumbles, and practice ‘scoop&score’ as if that’s something that should be practiced for 30 mins

3 hours ago, madhatter2269 said:

if anyone would like to leave their feedback that would be great. my son plays youth football and has for 2 years in knox co. both coaching staffs waste about an hour being the QB throwing 30 yard passes 100 MPH. which is a waste of time because no 7 or 8 year old can do that. and the systems have been different each year. the coaches seem like guys who just came together and said we will take a crack at this. coaches and players show up late. it’s just very unorganized. I know maryville&alcoa have had the same coaches and system and have a curriculum for kids to learn. last year coaches would take breaks and smoke cigarettes in front of kids. has it always been this way & why? my son plays linebacker and they always have him and another kid lined up on one side, leaving the left side wide open for big plays. they run out of shotgun which leads to cost less fumbles, and practice ‘scoop&score’ as if that’s something that should be practiced for 30 mins

I think this might be a question best answered by Josh Jones the HC at Bearden in Knoxville. Maybe you can get him on one of his Rocky Top teams and eventually become a Bulldog.

Knox County is no different than most other urban/suburban counties.  You have some good feeder programs, and some not so good.  

Unfortunately too many are infested with Daddy ball.  Those guys mean well, but most of the time they don't know enough about instruction and tend to try and copy what they see in high school football or on TV on Saturdays and Sundays, and those young kids just aren't there yet. They need the most fundamental of fundamentals. Too many Coach Daddies who have sons who should be learning lineman skills get lined up at QB or RB and that's never a good thing.  If you are fortunate enough to get in a program where Dads don't coach their own son's age groups, and there are a few in the area, you are ahead of the curve.  

Plus with numbers being down, getting in an appropriate age group is tough.  My oldest grandson is in the 5th grade, but his community (in Knox County) doesn't have enough kids for a 5th grade team, so he's playing up on the 6th grade middle school team, so he's not going to play a lot of meaningful snaps this year, but he is competing in practice every day and is learning.  Really a freebie year for him, and that's not a bad thing, given this is his first year of tackle football.  His community has quality middle school coaches, and since they have gone to the MAC concept for middle schools in Knox County it seems to be more organized, And they are getting better coaching. 

Until Knox County goes to true school sanctioned football there are going to be issues. Hopefully your community has solid leadership and is committed to instruction and preparation for high school football.  That's the most important thing.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2023 at 9:23 AM, madhatter2269 said:

They do?

News to me.

On 8/18/2023 at 12:28 PM, BigTime1950 said:

I think this might be a question best answered by Josh Jones the HC at Bearden in Knoxville. Maybe you can get him on one of his Rocky Top teams and eventually become a Bulldog.

Bro, you have a weird obsession with Josh Jones. And the Bearden MAC team has been good way before he got there—runners up in 2019, they won it in 2020, runners up in 2021, and they won it in 2022—so I don't know how you think Coach Jones has anything to do with the middle school team, but you are crazy obsessed with that man.

Edited by Elias287

On 8/18/2023 at 9:23 AM, madhatter2269 said:

Man you must have grown up in a different time.70's & 80's our coaches baseball & football(not hockey) cussed us,slapped us in the helmet,grabbed our face mask,drank at practice(not a lot and with the phony magnetic soda pop labels that didn't quite cover the beer)& smoked all in front of us.Nobody cried or complained & we were tough

Edited by highschoolfbfan777
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Elias287 said:

Bro, you have a weird obsession with Josh Jones. And the Bearden MAC team has been good way before he got there—runners up in 2019, they won it in 2020, runners up in 2021, and they won it in 2022—so I don't know how you think Coach Jones has anything to do with the middle school team, but you are crazy obsessed with that man.

l am not your bro. 

You can thank Mayor Kane for his failure to hire competent people at Knox County Parks & Rec. for the collapse of the Knox Co. youth football league. T-Roy Flemming and Jo-Jo Mack have ran that sports department into the ground. The middle schools were the first straw the followed by the rest of the ages. Total mismanagement by all of those at Knox Co. Parks & Rec. Mayor Kane needs to get back to something he’s qualified for, like choke slamming someone. 

Unfortunate for your son, however, I'd suggest volunteering to be that age group's coach in the future if its that bad.  You have to remember that all of those coaches are volunteers- many of which were voluntold by other parents to do it just so that the boys can have a team.

It's a real #### show in youth sports now. Having to pay $10 a game for regular season games is ridiculous. Just to have games at the high schools. The refs are horrible, the wait times for games are horrible and the daddy ball is out of control. Games at Powell Saturday were supposed to start at 2:45 pm and games didn't start until 3:25, the refs told coaches halftime would be 10 minutes the ref came back 20 minutes later. Move games back to Tarlton, please and thanks.

• Upvote 1

On 8/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, FootballFan888 said:

You can thank Mayor Kane for his failure to hire competent people at Knox County Parks & Rec. for the collapse of the Knox Co. youth football league. T-Roy Flemming and Jo-Jo Mack have ran that sports department into the ground. The middle schools were the first straw the followed by the rest of the ages. Total mismanagement by all of those at Knox Co. Parks & Rec. Mayor Kane needs to get back to something he’s qualified for, like choke slamming someone. 

Totally disagree, you have daddies that think EVERY CHILD MUST WIN so they wanted to start a new league so BILLY BOB can finally win a trophy by not going through stiff competition.  T -ROY is doing a great job, its just the cry babies that want to complain about everything and not get their way so they want to leave.  Example;  Complaining about the officials and boom the Middle School league uses the same officials.