McKenzie Rebels vs Dresden Lions 8/25.

RedRebelman

4 hours ago, vandyfan1 said:

42-14 Rebels. I was wrong about them them last Friday against Huntingdon. It looks like they just reloaded with the talent. Sorry lions but I don’t see y’all winning this one.

We are thin on the line but by no means is the well empty.  Tate Surber is legit as our QB. We don’t drop off their one bit.     Dresden will present more of a challenge to our defense because they don’t run the same 3 plays over and over again.  

I expect a Rebel win at home but may be closer than some think. 

Hope Waverly has a great year!!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

We are thin on the line but by no means is the well empty.  Tate Surber is legit as our QB. We don’t drop off their one bit.     Dresden will present more of a challenge to our defense because they don’t run the same 3 plays over and over again.  

I expect a Rebel win at home but may be closer than some think. 

Hope Waverly has a great year!!

Mustangs threw the ball more than the Rebels Friday night. It was execution that beat us not play calling!

54 minutes ago, Croppygenius said:

Mustangs threw the ball more than the Rebels Friday night. It was execution that beat us not play calling!

Maybe so.  But every team that plays Huntingdon for the last, oh call it 20 years, has lined up to stop that wing t offense.  It's one dimensional.  Dresden won't be that way. 

I will give you that you passed the ball more last Friday than I have ever seen a Huntingdon team throw.  

Edited by VOLnWTN

37 minutes ago, VOLnWTN said:

Maybe so.  But every team that plays Huntingdon for the last, oh call it 20 years, has lined up to stop that wing t offense.  It's one dimensional.  Dresden won't be that way. 

I will give you that you passed the ball more last Friday than I have ever seen a Huntingdon team throw.  

Last 20 years the Mustangs have won 191 games losing 61 with that one dimension offense. I love running the ball and I think most Huntingdon fans do also. I wonder if anyone in west tennesse can match those 20 year totals.

52 minutes ago, Sherdog said:

Yeah but teams and kids are built different. When was the last time a team running the veer won a championship. Even Union City is opening it up more and running a different more modern veer.

Actually the Mustangs are throwing the ball more this year than previously. Our QB is very accurate throwing on the run and we're throwing more short passes instead of heaving the ball down field like we normally do. Dresden has got play a clean game to have a shot at beating the Rebels. McKenzie is very food fundamental team. Make a few mistakes and your toast!

2 hours ago, Croppygenius said:

2 hours ago, west10EZ said:

penalties and turnovers more than anything 

Kind of saying the same thing here.. Dumb penalties. 1 very ill-advised throw by Eubanks and a fumble after driving the length of the field really stopped us from taking control of the momentum. Some inaccurate passes and then too many drops on the passes that were thrown well.. I enjoyed seeing the offense open up a bit, but the execution just wasn't there.. 

I expect the Mustangs to look much better in a month, but it's pretty disappointing to see them come out flat and sloppy two years in a row vs a county rival.

All that said, even with a clean game on offense, we had our work cut out for us with this McKenzie team. Estimations of their talent drop off have been greatly exaggerated. I expect them to win this one going away.

Edited by sportsnutz
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Croppygenius said:

Last 20 years the Mustangs have won 191 games losing 61 with that one dimension offense. I love running the ball and I think most Huntingdon fans do also. I wonder if anyone in west tennesse can match those 20 year totals.

I do love a hard-nose running offense, however running basically the same run play is getting old, even if it successful most of the time. Maybe I haven't been paying much attention, but have they done away with the misdirection's? Also, why is it that the QB runs to the sideline to get the call after each play? When I was in school, they would have someone ready on the sideline to run in and give the play. Is it that they aren't confident in the players ability to give the right call in the huddle or do we not have enough depth at a certain position to swap out every play? 

Rivers does not look ready to be out on the field. He was favoring that knee all night. Didn't look like he wanted to do too much. Hopefully its just a mental thing and he can get that straight, but to me it looks like he is done at RB unfortunately and I feel bad for the young man because he would have been a good one in the back field. I hope I'm wrong.