Riverside @ Peabody Week 3

RHSPanther15

On 8/27/2023 at 10:32 PM, thunderbolts said:

People need to realize what we have witnessed as Peabody fans the last 9 years has not EVER happened in West Tennessee before. I am not saying that it is completely over, but this is not the norm to win 4 state titles and be right in the mix for a state title every year (unless you are Alcoa). I for one have enjoyed the ride and am not giving up on this group as I said earlier nothing has gone right for them this year. I see these kids competing their tails off, but they are in positions that they have not ever been in. The mistakes that are being made can be fixed. When you have 8 turnovers in 2 games on your opponent’s side of the field you are not going to win any game. We have had some good drives, but then a big penalty happens or we have turned the ball over. All we have to do is get something positive happen and I feel it will be a domino effect and things will turn around. I don’t think it will happen this week but next week against Adamsville is when I feel things will begin to change.

Very get post my friend.  4 Golds and we are down.  But our ups is still 4 golds in 9 years.  Most teams go down without winning Gold.   Good post Thunderbolt.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:05 PM, pioneer42 said:

I know Milan under Morris had back to back titles. Union City won 3 or 4 more spread out. Gibson County, Mckenzie and Westview girls have had back to back titles in basketball. I agree Peabody going 3 in a row is the best West TN has ever seen in a sport. Take a mistake or two away against Mckenzie in the semis and could have very likely been 4 in a row. Will be interesting what happens in the future. The Adamsville game will be a big game. 

Good Post

On 8/28/2023 at 8:08 AM, vandyfan1 said:

This game shouldn’t be close but nothing surprises me with Peabody. They always compete. Riverside is just one of those type teams this year that Peabody has been for many. I sure miss Pride. Would love to hear what he wails have to say about this game.

He would be very disappointed but he would understand our current situation. I miss him dearly.  We sit together for many years at every game.  He took so much pride in our football program.  With that said, his memory will last forever.  We were witnesses to some of the greatest moments in Peabody football history.  We will be back!

Edited by Golddoctor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Golddoctor said:

He would be very disappointed but he would understand our current situation. I miss him dearly.  We sit together for many years at every game.  He took so much pride in our football program.  With that said, his memory will last forever.  We were witnesses to some of the greatest moments in Peabody football history.  We will be back!

I do agree, we will be back very soon. I honestly feel that the next four games are winnable games for us. If we start gaining some confidence watch out!

15 minutes ago, Golddoctor said:

I miss him every day…

On 8/28/2023 at 8:47 PM, TryNotToSuck said:

Glad to know this guy can understand the landscape of college football! Travel part consists around 70 players. Starters and backup's are obviously the ones to go, and special teams can go as well. Yes, you can still be apart of the travel squad if you are on the kickoff team, maybe the 2nd string in that spot as well.

3 things are hurting Peabody right now.

1) It's no secret, graduation

2) No offense to the Peabody faithful, but it appears none of these players are going to be at the top like Driggers, Dickson, Gallaway, etc. Not saying they can't be, but as of now, they're not. However, I've watched Peabody developmental teams in the previous years, and this is not a surprised to me. 

3) They're not in 1A anymore. They're not playing Liberty, Obion Central, or South Side anymore in non-region games. They're not playing Halls, Humboldt, Lake County, Greenfield, and West Carroll anymore. When you combine 1 and 2, with the schedule of Milan, JCS, Huntingdon, Riverside, USJ, and Adamsville, you're going to struggle. It's just reality. Region 7-2A has programs, Region 7-1A are just teams.

The game against Adamsville is a huge game. However, don't forget Camden right now. Lions have scored 103 points right now. However, they've allowed 102. But the ability to score is something in itself that will help! Winning games 17-14 and relying on defense is not a sustainable way to be successful.

All our Golda balls are in 2A.  1A was better than 2A last year.  2 A is better this year.  We will be okay.  It will just take time and patience

My hat's off to Peabody, one of the finest programs (and schools) in West TN. They won those state titles with dignity and grace, and let's not write them off. They are just reloading for some more state runs right now. Every high school (and college) has some down years, even those famed elephants from south of Middle Tennessee's border have laid some eggs over the years. I look for Peabody to be back up shortly and rolling over teams again because their school, community, and all athletic programs are first class; what some of the rest of us could aspire to be. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, @38320 said:

My hat's off to Peabody, one of the finest programs (and schools) in West TN. They won those state titles with dignity and grace, and let's not write them off. They are just reloading for some more state runs right now. Every high school (and college) has some down years, even those famed elephants from south of Middle Tennessee's border have laid some eggs over the years. I look for Peabody to be back up shortly and rolling over teams again because their school, community, and all athletic programs are first class; what some of the rest of us could aspire to be. 

They have been a great program that has won with class and I really respect that coaching staff. But…. Where are they going to get talent going forward? 

1 hour ago, Waker said:

They have been a great program that has won with class and I really respect that coaching staff. But…. Where are they going to get talent going forward? 

That’s a Weird question where did Peabody get its talent the last 100 years ? 
where did Huntingdon get its talent the last 100 years ? 

2 hours ago, Waker said:

Two ways to get talent. One you are born with it. If your not born with it the second way is through hard work. You can become bigger, faster and stronger thru hard work. 

45 minutes ago, Tide21 said:

That’s a Weird question where did Peabody get its talent the last 100 years ? 
where did Huntingdon get its talent the last 100 years ? 

The reason I asked that question is I saw Trenton Middle School play last night. In the championship years Trenton Middle was a pretty solid bunch and you could see the talent getting ready to roll through. Last night they lost 56-8. I don’t remember them getting positive yards in the first half. It surprised me to be honest.

Huntingdon gets their talent from the middle school program. I don’t think there is but 2 kids on their high school team that wasn’t on their middle school team. 1 of those was from here and moved away and came back.

So that’s why I asked the poster that said Peabody was reloading. Huntingdon doesn’t get many people moving in. Does Peabody? I wasn’t trying to down Peabody. It was a truthful question. How are they reloading?

36 minutes ago, Waker said:

The reason I asked that question is I saw Trenton Middle School play last night. In the championship years Trenton Middle was a pretty solid bunch and you could see the talent getting ready to roll through. Last night they lost 56-8. I don’t remember them getting positive yards in the first half. It surprised me to be honest.

Huntingdon gets their talent from the middle school program. I don’t think there is but 2 kids on their high school team that wasn’t on their middle school team. 1 of those was from here and moved away and came back.

So that’s why I asked the poster that said Peabody was reloading. Huntingdon doesn’t get many people moving in. Does Peabody? I wasn’t trying to down Peabody. It was a truthful question. How are they reloading?

When I was in 8th grade at Milan middle we went 1-6 in football. The only team we beat was winless and we were lucky to win that one. When we were senior in 1998 we went 13-2 and were state champs. Talent is developed by good coaches. Those kids getting drilled in middle school today can be beasts by the time they are seniors.