Letter given to coaches from the TSSAA

mondo44

I mean it's real dang simple. The coaches are asked if the players are properly equipped according to NFHS regulation. That means all players are wearing all required safety equipment properly. The coaches invariably say yes. It's on them at that point. 

Maybe if coaches made sure they're players were wearing SAFETY equipment properly, the officials wouldn't have to worry about it. But, here we are. 

I mean how darn ridiculous would it be if a high school baseball coach sent a player to the plate wearing a batting helmet with no flaps, and then folks got mad at the umpire for making it an issue. Let's think about it guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just curious. Does the TSSAA require teams to submit official documentation to verify that equipment & esp helmets are certifiably & properly re-conditioned every year?  If not, then how abt requiring THAT instead of focusing on piddly knee pads? Oh, and how abt teaching their officials what targeting looks like and requiring they actually call it, regardless of lack of ability to “review” in high school. If they were truly concerned abt player safety, they’d be focusing on the real stuff that matters. Smh. 

7 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

I guess the knee pad thing gets dropped in college cause UT's wide receivers look like they are playing in shorts.

900273015_Screenshot2023-09-16at2_31_24PM.thumb.png.d232434baa588ea4036d57e31d4d4389.png1289533584_Screenshot2023-09-16at2_32_11PM.png.9a1341c5edea27adaaac00755a2fae99.png

I was thinking about this the other day, and I think the explanation might be simple. TN does not want to be responsible for Jimmys and Joes getting hurt. In the high school level, especially in the lower classifications and even good ole boy systems in the larger classifications, you will sometimes have unathletic and small kids going against future P5 starters which can be a recipe for disaster if they aren't wearing their equipment properly. Whereas if you're talking D1 football, every player on the field meets a certain threshold of athleticism and size for it to be a non issue. Now, if D2 teams were to play the Georgias of the world it'd probably be a different story.