Oliver Springs @ Coalfield

rtl112

1 hour ago, TheBlueprint said:

I still have nightmares about that night

I may be a tad biased because I was on the team but think our ‘87 team was one of the best we have ever fielded at Gordonsville

Well I am biased also.lol

I was on the 87 team also.It WAS the best team we ever had.The Defense was nasty and the O-line were bull dozers and our WR was a Rocket.Your team was the best we played all year other than Knox Webb.

12 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

I was on the 87 team also.It WAS the best team we ever had.The Defense was nasty and the O-line were bull dozers and our WR was a Rocket.Your team was the best we played all year other than Knox Webb.

How is Gordonsville consistently good. U guys using the transfer portal like Alcoa and the Greene Co Allstars. I’m not accusing of anything. But they have seemingly always put a highly competitive team on the field. 

2 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

How is Gordonsville consistently good. U guys using the transfer portal like Alcoa and the Greene Co Allstars. I’m not accusing of anything. But they have seemingly always put a highly competitive team on the field. 

A lot of people who are born here and play here, stay here so the same bloodlines run through the football program so there’s a lot of expectation to be good on Friday nights from the generation before

We are also blessed with a lot of high quality men coaching our youth, jr high and high school teams. Great community support and our administration are great when it comes to supporting all of our sports programs.

I would like to hear @croz6110’s opinion on this

11 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Side note.. the 80’s were definitely our heyday. I think we legitimately could have won 4/5 gold balls in the 80’s but it wasn’t to be. Since then we have consistently put a pretty competitive team on the field with spurts of being really good

34 minutes ago, IPOPU2022 said:

Look at our history,so have we regardless of transfers 70% win percentage for near 40 years until last 3.Probably better than Gordys as a whole.Our youth programs are outstanding also.4-1 all time verses Gordy

Edited by orngnblk

5 hours ago, orngnblk said:

We have winning records against South Pitt and Gordy in playoffs but not against you all if I'm not mistaken which is ironic!LOL.Regular season we dominated you all for 35 years until the people smarter than the community found our coaches.

The only time SP seems to play Greenback is in a semifinal game which means that’s one of your loaded teams. I’d say that has something to do with the record. Coalfield has came out to play us in the semifinals several times and most of those years Greenback was really down. Greenback hasn’t made it to the semifinals when they weren’t pretty much loaded if I’m thinking about it correctly. 

2 hours ago, crow said:

Did I remember that correctly rt? I do remember one of you would win the regular season game and the other would win the playoff game. A bunch of times 1 of the 2 of the best teams in the east would get bumped out early by the other in 1A when y’all played an early round game. 

Yeah, crazy how it worked out that way.  And when they got that monkey off their back did they ever!  They were dominant for a good, long stretch till here recently.  It's been nice not having to go to Cloudland every year in the 2nd round.  

2 minutes ago, CaptainLongbeard said:

The only time SP seems to play Greenback is in a semifinal game which means that’s one of your loaded teams. I’d say that has something to do with the record. Coalfield has came out to play us in the semifinals several times and most of those years Greenback was really down. Greenback hasn’t made it to the semifinals when they weren’t pretty much loaded if I’m thinking about it correctly. 

I would say your right.lol

48 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

It was a nasty group, I don't think they were anybody to even contest them.

18 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

Look at our history,so have we regardless of transfers 70% win percentage for near 40 years until last 3.Probably better than Gordys as a whole.Our youth programs are outstanding also.4-1 all time verses Gordy

We have about a 65% win percentage over the last 50 years. Went through a few lean years in early 90s and again right after that 2012 team. We have averaged about 7/8 wins a year since early 70’s which is pretty solid for a rural 1A school

10 minutes ago, TheBlueprint said:

We have about a 65% win percentage over the last 50 years. Went through a few lean years in early 90s and again right after that 2012 team. We have averaged about 7/8 wins a year since early 70’s which is pretty solid for a rural 1A school

Yes,very good.SP and TC were heads above all the rest but GB,CF and Gordy were definitely no slouches in the 1A east.Oneida was another strong 1A team also.They have 8 Semi appearances!

Edited by orngnblk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1