CPA vs BB - Martin vs Rankin

CPA4Ever

Should be a great game and could go either way. When I analyze a game that appears to be a matchup, I give the advantage to the best coaching staff. For this game, I can't do that:
- Rankin - 17 state titles; 13 out of 16 at Alcoa and finals in 1st year at BB. Wow! Winningest coach in TN HS history. Only lost finals at Alcoa to CAK (twice) and CPA (2014 - Rankin has won every title since). Beat CPA and Martin twice in 3A.
- Martin - 13 years at CPA: 3 titles (including 2014 win over Alcoa and Rankin). 8 finals including the last 6 in a row. WOW!
One of the ironies of this matchup is that when Rankin was at Riverdale, he was one of the early proponents of the public/private split, after losing to BA and watching BA dominate in the public division. He later was a strong proponent for the split that sent CPA and BB to Division II.
Now he is coaching in the private division for the first time. Of course, at Alcoa he was a target of a lot of critics that claimed he was recruiting from all over the Knoxville area for years. 
CPA's defense is stout. In FRA's 11 wins, they averaged 54. They scored 23 total in the 2 loses to CPA.
Pearl Cohn is still undefeated. In their 12 wins other than CPA game, they averaged 45. CPA held them to 15.
BB has averaged 38 points per game but only scored 14 against Webb. Interesting.
3 common opponents.
CPA held DA to 6 and won 38-6. BB beat DA 36-24.  
CPA beat CAK 42-6. BB won 30-8
CPA beat GP 41-14. BB beat them 49-20.
So, lace then up! This will be a classic coaching matchup and, IMO, a tossup determined by penalties and mistakes.

BreadTruck can you settle that forever presbyterian down.....forever tryin to build a story that ant there......can Forever actin like the world was conkered when the Presbyterians defeet the SwampBucs...

.....give the GOAT another year or two then that story real.....

Booger just sayin :roll:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Booger said:

After hearing the news yesterday about a possible / probable change in D2 only where success may play a factor in the still too many 3 classes and TSSAA may split the number of the 3 classes so there is an even number in each…. Interesting it’s D2 only. 

Anyway, next year probably will be the last year we are in the same class for a little while, if that stuff comes to pass. Who knows? I think we’ll be happy playing wherever we are told again :)

3 hours ago, Booger said:

BreadTruck can you settle that forever presbyterian down.....forever tryin to build a story that ant there......can Forever actin like the world was conkered when the Presbyterians defeet the SwampBucs...

Booger just sayin :roll:

Hey, Boog, not what I said. Just think coaching is the #1 factor in HS football success, and this game features two of the best and one is the GOAT. 

20 hours ago, CPA4Ever said:

Should be a great game and could go either way. When I analyze a game that appears to be a matchup, I give the advantage to the best coaching staff. For this game, I can't do that:
- Rankin - 17 state titles; 13 out of 16 at Alcoa and finals in 1st year at BB. Wow! Winningest coach in TN HS history. Only lost finals at Alcoa to CAK (twice) and CPA (2014 - Rankin has won every title since). Beat CPA and Martin twice in 3A.
- Martin - 13 years at CPA: 3 titles (including 2014 win over Alcoa and Rankin). 8 finals including the last 6 in a row. WOW!
One of the ironies of this matchup is that when Rankin was at Riverdale, he was one of the early proponents of the public/private split, after losing to BA and watching BA dominate in the public division. He later was a strong proponent for the split that sent CPA and BB to Division II.
Now he is coaching in the private division for the first time. Of course, at Alcoa he was a target of a lot of critics that claimed he was recruiting from all over the Knoxville area for years. 
CPA's defense is stout. In FRA's 11 wins, they averaged 54. They scored 23 total in the 2 loses to CPA.
Pearl Cohn is still undefeated. In their 12 wins other than CPA game, they averaged 45. CPA held them to 15.
BB has averaged 38 points per game but only scored 14 against Webb. Interesting.
3 common opponents.
CPA held DA to 6 and won 38-6. BB beat DA 36-24.  
CPA beat CAK 42-6. BB won 30-8
CPA beat GP 41-14. BB beat them 49-20.
So, lace then up! This will be a classic coaching matchup and, IMO, a tossup determined by penalties and mistakes.

It is Rankin's 2nd year at Boyd.