Alcoa vs east Nashville, back to the ship!!!!

Slingitdownfield

11 minutes ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

I've been sitting on a question for the forum for a bit and figure this is as good of a time as any to ask. 

I see a lot of concern about Alcoa but East is a magnet school. This means that East has an application process, can manipulate their enrollment, and can provide free transportation for kids not zoned for the school. East even has an application posted on their website. I see lots of outrage about Alcoa on various forums but I am yet to see any concerns over these magnet schools. To me, there's no difference between a magnet school and a private school unless I am totally misunderstanding the rules and regulations. And if my interpretations are true, magnet schools should be D2 in my opinion. 

Tell ya what, drive by East next time your in Nashville, then go by MBA, CPA, BA, Ensworth, Father Ryan or Lipscomb. Doubt you'll have that same opinion

• Like 4

Not sure how east is now, but when I worked there it was a lottery school. Also, transportation was not provided. Most students walked, rode the city busses, or were dropped off by others. We also did not manipulate our enrollment. Again, I'm not there any more but that is how it was. Why don't you Mr. Announcer do some research and let us know what you find out. Also, why don't you look at the facilities and resources of those that win state championships this year. Do facilities make a difference, heck yes they do. If you think otherwise you are clueless. 

2 hours ago, tennesseeannouncer said:

I've been sitting on a question for the forum for a bit and figure this is as good of a time as any to ask. 

I see a lot of concern about Alcoa but East is a magnet school. This means that East has an application process, can manipulate their enrollment, and can provide free transportation for kids not zoned for the school. East even has an application posted on their website. I see lots of outrage about Alcoa on various forums but I am yet to see any concerns over these magnet schools. To me, there's no difference between a magnet school and a private school unless I am totally misunderstanding the rules and regulations. And if my interpretations are true, magnet schools should be D2 in my opinion. 

FACT!!! & you are correct!!

• Thanks 1

I was at East for a long time and I was there for the start of football. I can honestly say that East has been at some kind of disadvantage every year it has played football since bringing it back including this year! 

While magnet schools have potential advantages they are not guaranteed anything. There is an application process that goes through the board and rarely involves people at the school level to make decisions. Unless things have changed, only upperclassmen go through the principal because their records must confirm they can graduate on time with the courses offered.

Congratulations to Alcoa on their phenomenal run! Congratulations to East for becoming a consistent winner!

10 minutes ago, CoachF said:

I was at East for a long time and I was there for the start of football. I can honestly say that East has been at some kind of disadvantage every year it has played football since bringing it back including this year! 

While magnet schools have potential advantages they are not guaranteed anything. There is an application process that goes through the board and rarely involves people at the school level to make decisions. Unless things have changed, only upperclassmen go through the principal because their records must confirm they can graduate on time with the courses offered.

Congratulations to Alcoa on their phenomenal run! Congratulations to East for becoming a consistent winner!

Thank you for the information!