Craney steps down at Central

HTV

On 1/31/2024 at 10:23 AM, RedDevilCountry said:

Tied up? You mean working in the building, serving the school community? Building relationships and being available for any school day emergencies, or top priorities?

It used to be that sometimes to get a good assistant, you might have to let them work at a nearby elementary or middle school, while trying to secure a spot for them in the building the next year. Seasoned head coaches and admin know how important it is to have coaches in the building, visible, and working directly with students.

There is also a nation-wide, state-wide, and Knox county teacher shortage. By looking at the job boards, there is a significant shortage at Central High. It would be shameful for any administrator to hire a head football coach and not require him to be in the building. I have to believe that CHS will require Lane to be in the building in at least a classified or job-embedded role. If he has any sense of how to run a program, he will try to find certified coaches to bring in and be on the ground with him in the building.

So much happens during the school day. That community deserves a coach and a coaching staff that know coaching football doesn’t simply mean practice and game day. It’s so much more. 

Terrible Take all around. Football coach means being in players life’s around the clock, before and after school hours. 

why limit the candidate pool to only teachers? Doesn’t even make sense why you would HAVE to be a teacher to coach. 

Is teaching a couple kickball classes THAT important to your success as a coach and impact on your players lives? 

Back when I was in school Maryville had a head coach and 2 assistants and won three state championships and was runner up twice with that set up. One of my coaches told me if a light bulb blew he would have to just about beg the superintendent for a new one. I look at the crowd of three or four thousand on a good night then I look down at the field and count 15 coaches and wonder how does the gate pay for all of this not to mention the playoffs when the T$$AA gets to rob the cash register. If every coach on the field had to be a teacher the whole teaching staff would all be coaches figuring in all the other sports.

15 hours ago, HawkDad33 said:

Terrible Take all around. Football coach means being in players life’s around the clock, before and after school hours. 

why limit the candidate pool to only teachers? Doesn’t even make sense why you would HAVE to be a teacher to coach. 

Is teaching a couple kickball classes THAT important to your success as a coach and impact on your players lives? 

It sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder about teachers. Did a teacher give you a hard time once, or are you simply in the dark about the ins and outs of what teachers do every day? Either way, it’s a little more than a couple of kickball classes. 

28 minutes ago, RedDevilCountry said:

It sounds like you've got a chip on your shoulder about teachers. Did a teacher give you a hard time once, or are you simply in the dark about the ins and outs of what teachers do every day? Either way, it’s a little more than a couple of kickball classes. 

Not at all. But i don’t see how someone’s primary profession should be a deterrent on whether they can be a coach or not, as long as they have the time, qualifications, and character. Should Jason Witten not have gotten a chance to be a head coach bc he’s not a teacher? 

31 minutes ago, HawkDad33 said:

Not at all. But i don’t see how someone’s primary profession should be a deterrent on whether they can be a coach or not, as long as they have the time, qualifications, and character. Should Jason Witten not have gotten a chance to be a head coach bc he’s not a teacher? 

That’s because you don’t know anything about coaching or teaching, DaddyBall.

Edit to add- JW coaches private, and that’s a whole different thing. Of course, you probably don’t understand that either.

Edited by RedDevilCountry
Adding details.

5 minutes ago, RedDevilCountry said:

That’s because you don’t know anything about coaching or teaching, DaddyBall.

Edit to add- JW coaches private, and that’s a whole different thing. Of course, you probably don’t understand that either.

Your first comment tell me all i need to know about you lol. 

Slowly in Tennessee, public school football coaches are not even being asked to teach classes. Several schools including Cleveland has a teacher as a coach with no teaching.

So NO, the head coach doesn’t need to be a teacher. In fact, not teaching is a huge advantage. 

29 minutes ago, RiverRat95 said:

Slowly in Tennessee, public school football coaches are not even being asked to teach classes. Several schools including Cleveland has a teacher as a coach with no teaching.

So NO, the head coach doesn’t need to be a teacher. In fact, not teaching is a huge advantage. 

So they'd be sub-500 if their coach had to teach?

22 hours ago, HawkDad33 said:

Your response is exactly how l would expect someone to react that  simplifies a situation down to the level you think it is  and what someone else told you how to think. You have over simplified this situation to what you have heard on the T and some other people that have told you they know what they are talking about.  I do not know if HVA hired a non faculty superstar or if just a regular old teacher/coach that just rolls a ball out, but just try to make the best of it until the next savior comes to the valley. 

My two cents is that when it comes down to getting the most out of a player, coaching is teaching.  The best coaches have teaching skills which allow them to understand that not one size fits all, what motivates one kid to be his best is completely different then what makes the next guy get better.  I believe these skills and experiences are gained in the classroom and then carry over to sports.  I'm not saying that a guy has to be an active teacher, just that the best coaches have the teaching skills and experience gained in the classroom that they utilize to get the most out of each kids ability.  

• Thanks 1