Eighth grade eligibility vote tomorrow

Indian

On 12/8/2023 at 8:16 PM, IrishBBall said:

Is it same building or same campus?

Has nothing to do with building but principals. If they have different principals , they are not allowed to play. If they only have one principal k-12 , they are eligible to play in 8th grade.

I think like most rules it comes down to extenuating circumstances. When our current coaching staff at DHS took the reigns of the program it was decimated. There were days where the coaches did not know if they would have enough kids to hold a practice, let alone an actual game. Being able to play 8th graders would've taken a lot of stress off the program. Due to enrollment or just interest in the sport in general I feel a district should have the ability to play an 8th grader at the high school level at clearly defined circumstances. 

4 hours ago, ecu said:

Has nothing to do with building but principals. If they have different principals , they are not allowed to play. If they only have one principal k-12 , they are eligible to play in 8th grade.

Both Christian Academy of Knoxville and Webb have different principals/ Head of School for middle school and high school but play eighth graders????

Page 15 of 2023-2024 TSSAA handbook Section 8 is the 8th grade participation rule. It reads that “an 8th grade student is eligible to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school.” Nothing to do with being in the same building or if buildings are connected by hallways or covered walkways or the like. There are junior high/middle schools that share buildings with their high schools but are not the same “school”.

Prime example is Summertown. They are 2 different schools now, separate principals. That is why they can’t do it anymore. Jay can tell me exactly how the buildings are set up as I’ve never been actually to their school other than the baseball field so best I can tell on map app there is something connecting the two main buildings. Might be a covered walkway or an actual inclosed hallway. But like I said that is irrelevant because at one time they only had one principal for all grades so that made them 1 school.
When I can sit down at a computer (because on my phone it’ll give me hand cramps) I’ll do the research and be more than glad to look at which public schools are able to take advantage of this and you can make your own judgement on how much it helps. IMO, it helps very few be competitive year in, year out. It helps a few in spurts be competitive. And it helps the overwhelming majority just be able to have a team. 
If your high school coach is doing it right he’s already involved anyways with the feeder programs so he’s working with those 8th graders he’s going to get as freshman. 

4 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

Both Christian Academy of Knoxville and Webb have different principals/ Head of School for middle school and high school but play eighth graders????

Yeah it is kind of disingenuous the way it looks. Best I can tell on those school’s websites is they are set up as K-12 with one “Head of school” and then principals for HS, MS, and ES levels. I don’t get into the private world much since the split happened so I’ll just leave my opinion at that.   

15 hours ago, jvaughan said:

Yeah it is kind of disingenuous the way it looks. Best I can tell on those school’s websites is they are set up as K-12 with one “Head of school” and then principals for HS, MS, and ES levels. I don’t get into the private world much since the split happened so I’ll just leave my opinion at that.   

That is correct. They have one "leader".

On 12/10/2023 at 5:24 PM, IrishBBall said:

Most k-12  schools have one main principal and a couple of assistant principals over different grade levels.