Southtowner: This That & The Other III

Southtowner

38 minutes ago, SpottedGoat said:

Just for conversation, & NOT trying to stir the "who's a cheater" pot. Class re-alignment throws everything around in NW Tennessee when a school or two changes class. Is it just here? How many schools from Class 1-2 or3  does this affect in middle or East TN? Are they in constant shift around mode too? 

Another West Tennessee perspective, so you will probably get a more accurate answer from someone else... I think that because the overwhelming majority of schools in the western division are relatively closer in enrollment than middle/east, that it does stand to completely rearrange the region alignments more so than the two others. Outside Memphis, most schools fall into the 400'ish to 1,000 or barely above student category, with the 2A/3A and 3A/4A division numbers consistently shifting. Case in point...Scotts Hill replaces the Principal and Assistant Principal while the county system replaces the Director. Nobody is "minding the store" so they enroll more kids than the building code allows (560) and jumps to 3A. No big deal, one school moves up for 2 years...only that allows TSSAA to place eight teams in one 2A region, combining a traditional Northwest region with a Southeastern region (in the western grand division). If not for those 20 or so "extra" kids at Scotts Hill, there are two separate regions who match up differently in the playoff format... sort of a butterfly effect that carries over into the other classifications too.

2 hours ago, Southtowner said:

You'd be hard pressed to find a better trio than Gifford, Cosell & Meredith. 

I can't remember Jackson doing the MNF gig that first year,   but I can't imagine college football without him.  Woah, Nellie.

The only other broadcast team to be in the same class with them would be Pat Summerall and John Madden.

I'll give Keith Jackson credit... he's one of only two commentators to ever have the ability to make me want to kick out the screen on my TV (the other being Gary Danielson). Jackson was often biased and obnoxious... Danielson just plain stupid.

One of my favorite Vol memories... Powell broke through the line and had Bennie Blades to beat to the endzone... Blades grasping for Powell's shirttail and Jackson yelling "goodbye...touchdown!!! Then had to listen to Frank Broyles for two minutes wondering how Powell outran Blades for about 50 yards when Blades "has world class speed" and "set the 400 meter record for the state of Florida". According to both of them, Tennessee was lucky to be on the same field with Miami, and the only question was would Miami beat Tennessee bad enough to jump from #2 in the poll to the #1 ranking and win the national championship. The Vols smoked Miami 35-7, and Miami had to pull off a fake punt to score at all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

The only other broadcast team to be in the same class with them would be Pat Summerall and John Madden.

I'll give Keith Jackson credit... he's one of only two commentators to ever have the ability to make me want to kick out the screen on my TV (the other being Gary Danielson). Jackson was often biased and obnoxious... Danielson just plain stupid.

One of my favorite Vol memories... Powell broke through the line and had Bennie Blades to beat to the endzone... Blades grasping for Powell's shirttail and Jackson yelling "goodbye...touchdown!!! Then had to listen to Frank Broyles for two minutes wondering how Powell outran Blades for about 50 yards when Blades "has world class speed" and "set the 400 meter record for the state of Florida". According to both of them, Tennessee was lucky to be on the same field with Miami, and the only question was would Miami beat Tennessee bad enough to jump from #2 in the poll to the #1 ranking and win the national championship. The Vols smoked Miami 35-7, and Miami had to pull off a fake punt to score at all.

The best part of that Sugar bowl is when Keith Jackson ran into John Ward before the game and asked Ward if he thinks his boys can make it enough of a game to keep the audience till halftime. Ward said Jackson didn’t have too much to say afterwards 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 12:57 PM, tradertwo said:

No one was better than Summerall & Madden in my opinion.  Head of the class.

I was watching our basketball game vs Sale Creek late last night via the NFHS network.  I got to see all but the last 28.7 seconds.

Sale Creek had just knocked down 2 free throws that gave them the lead at 48-47.

SP proceeded to inbounds,   dribbled the ball up to half court,  SP coach was calling a timeout when the stream just ended.  That was it.  The last 28.7 seconds ain't on there.

SP hit a game winning 3 pointer.

Let me ask you a question.   If a school publishes their games on the network,  can they just edit & delete what they don't want others to view?  

@rlh, @oneyewilly, @The Drunken Sailor

1 hour ago, Southtowner said:

I was watching our basketball game vs Sale Creek late last night via the NFHS network.  I got to see all but the last 28.7 seconds.

Sale Creek had just knocked down 2 free throws that gave them the lead at 48-47.

SP proceeded to inbounds,   dribbled the ball up to half court,  SP coach was calling a timeout when the stream just ended.  That was it.  The last 28.7 seconds ain't on there.

Let me ask you a question.   If a school publishes their games on the network,  can they just edit & delete what they don't want others to view?  

Government & network news media been doing it for years... why not?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

T2,  I guarantee I paid good money for that mess.  I'm gonna check that network website and see if they've edited out any of their other games.  :ph34r:

im real glad that your not falling for that mess ST, i guarantee you that id be real mad if i missed the end after they charge to much to watch it. You think im joking, but im not.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Southtowner said:

I don't know the rules and regulations that NFHS has on broadcasting. You would think they would want the whole game shown. The broadcasters could have run out of tape, time, space, had technical difficulties, or just didn't want to show their team getting beat. If it was any of the first, well, sometimes that's the breaks and there's really nothing to do. But if it was the last then that's just poor judgement, poor sportsmanship, poor broadcasting and a lack of integrity. I know that if we pulled the plug intentionally, it wouldn't go over well with the station owner and it wouldn't look good to fans - home or visiting. I don't like losing, but if you sign up to do something, then you have to take the bad with the good.

1 hour ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

I don't know the rules and regulations that NFHS has on broadcasting. You would think they would want the whole game shown. The broadcasters could have run out of tape, time, space, had technical difficulties, or just didn't want to show their team getting beat. If it was any of the first, well, sometimes that's the breaks and there's really nothing to do. But if it was the last then that's just poor judgement, poor sportsmanship, poor broadcasting and a lack of integrity. I know that if we pulled the plug intentionally, it wouldn't go over well with the station owner and it wouldn't look good to fans - home or visiting. I don't like losing, but if you sign up to do something, then you have to take the bad with the good.

Just a thought, is there a time limit on the broadcast? For example, if I record a game on TV, when the time slot ends, so does my recording. The game being over has no relevance. If it happened to be a slow game, lot of fouls?? Maybe they just went over the time slot? Not cool, whatever the case. But I've had it done to me before on regular cable, game go to overtime & I missed all of the OT 

2 minutes ago, SpottedGoat said:

Just a thought, is there a time limit on the broadcast? For example, if I record a game on TV, when the time slot ends, so does my recording. The game being over has no relevance. If it happened to be a slow game, lot of fouls?? Maybe they just went over the time slot? Not cool, whatever the case. But I've had it done to me before on regular cable, game go to overtime & I missed all of the OT 

Exactly. There's why I mentioned that they may have ran out of time. It's possible that it was all innocent.

But then to ST's point, if I paid for a service, then I expect to get the service.