Southtowner: This That & The Other III

Southtowner

2 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

Yeah. I know.  It has the potential to shred HS athletics.  I can see it know.  The little 8th grader who could run circles around everyone goes to high school.  Doesn’t play as a freshman.  Mommy and Daddy  thinks they have the next Patrick Mahommes. Next thing we see is a Facebook/Twitter/TikTok:  “I have entered the high school portal.”

You nailed it. I agree 100%. This is the beginning of the end.

10 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

Yeah. I know.  It has the potential to shred HS athletics.  I can see it now.  The little 8th grader who could run circles around everyone goes to high school.  Doesn’t play as a freshman.  Mommy and Daddy  thinks they have the next Patrick Mahommes. Next thing we see is a Facebook/Twitter/TikTok:  “I have entered the high school portal.”

Yeah, I'm still waiting for it to destroy college. You already can't keep up with where certain players are. Some have been to 3 schools and still have 2 years to go. I may be overreacting, but the NIL and the transfer portal are going to hurt the game, IMO. We were almost getting to a point at the college level where parity was beginning to show. That's going to be gone now.

2 minutes ago, The Drunken Sailor said:

Yeah, I'm still waiting for it to destroy college. You already can't keep up with where certain players are. Some have been to 3 schools and still have 2 years to go. I may be overreacting, but the NIL and the transfer portal are going to hurt the game, IMO. We were almost getting to a point at the college level where parity was beginning to show. That's going to be gone now.

When I was at the most formative point in growing up, I loved sports at every level...playing at home and in the local park with my friends, in school from 5'th grade until graduation, watching college, NFL, NBA, ECT... I am very appreciative that I lived in the greatest era of pure competitive sports. My school was MY school and I wouldn't have dreamed of going someplace else (rather lose by 50 than play for anyone else) to play. My favorite teams were comprised of a certain set of players, and they stayed with their team for their career for the most part (I can still tell you who played for who and at what position). I'm sad for the state of all sports above school level, and the "instant gratification" generation of players who are only concerned about their image and the immense wealth that comes with being a successful athlete, who have ruined pro sports, are well into ruining college athletics, and have set in motion the cogs that will ruin high school too. These kids now will never be able to recall their "favorite team", because there isn't "team" anymore...just a bunch of people wearing the same uniform trying to stand out from the crowd.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This was just announced today:

The OSSAA (Oklahoma) Board of Directors approved an exception that allows one free transfer for any high school student who has established athletic eligibility at an initial school. The student won’t have to sit out a year or move into the district.

Here we go.................................

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

When I was at the most formative point in growing up, I loved sports at every level...playing at home and in the local park with my friends, in school from 5'th grade until graduation, watching college, NFL, NBA, ECT... I am very appreciative that I lived in the greatest era of pure competitive sports. My school was MY school and I wouldn't have dreamed of going someplace else (rather lose by 50 than play for anyone else) to play. My favorite teams were comprised of a certain set of players, and they stayed with their team for their career for the most part (I can still tell you who played for who and at what position). I'm sad for the state of all sports above school level, and the "instant gratification" generation of players who are only concerned about their image and the immense wealth that comes with being a successful athlete, who have ruined pro sports, are well into ruining college athletics, and have set in motion the cogs that will ruin high school too. These kids now will never be able to recall their "favorite team", because there isn't "team" anymore...just a bunch of people wearing the same uniform trying to stand out from the crowd.

Amen. But we're in the old fart category now, or at least I am. People don't think like us anymore it seems.

4 hours ago, tradertwo said:

This post is so spot on. Great post!!!! I'll give you an Amen from the back Pew!!!!!

Just let um go anywhere they want to and be done with it ,at least it would be legal that way. To be honest,no one should tell people where they can send their kids to school. All the best teams already attract kids, the bad one's lose um.  Sports in general have gotten worse and worse at every level, A kid or even grown up can't score or make a big play without celebrating and drawing attention or just flat out taunting, Was much better when you just made a play and went back to the huddle. Its sickening to me, kids need to be taught to be humble and not like they are some sort of superior being. If so, they would be able to do it as adults. Truth is ,you only have the talent you are given, be thankful and not look down on others thats not as gifted. Our whole society is me,me me. Sad but true.

• Upvote 2