PinTn Show Episode 2: Ironman and Cleveland Duals recap

WrestlingGod

46 minutes ago, rideOut said:

Also, just to clarify per the TSSAA handbook, 8th graders can wrestle in high school if,

"2023-24 TSSAA Handbook Page 15 July 18, 2023

Eighth Grade Participation Section 8.

An eighth grade student is eligible to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school. Students below the eighth grade are not eligible to practice or participate for a member school. Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade. Participation as an eighth grader shall not reduce the number of semesters a student is allowed to participate after enrolling in the ninth grade."

In the case of many of the Class A high schools that participate in wrestling they have eight graders on the team.

Honestly man, the reason everyone is calling you out isn't because we think that what WrestlingGod said is true but because you blew this whole situation out of proportion. You came off as incredibly offended when a simple mistake was made and all that you had to do was call him out and say "Hey Father Ryan actually has never had an 8th grader on their team because they don't not have a middle school." But, you instead got defensive when we all called you out on your childish behavior. 

No one here hates you but life sure would be a lot easier for us and certainly for you if you acted appropriately. 

Sincerely an innocent bystander.

Explained to him like he is an 8th grader.  I give this paper an "A+".

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, rideOut said:

Also, just to clarify per the TSSAA handbook, 8th graders can wrestle in high school if,

"2023-24 TSSAA Handbook Page 15 July 18, 2023

Eighth Grade Participation Section 8.

An eighth grade student is eligible to participate for a member school if he/she is enrolled at the school. Students below the eighth grade are not eligible to practice or participate for a member school. Any student repeating the eighth grade shall not be eligible for high school participation during the year that the student is repeating the eighth grade. Participation as an eighth grader shall not reduce the number of semesters a student is allowed to participate after enrolling in the ninth grade."

In the case of many of the Class A high schools that participate in wrestling they have eight graders on the team.

Honestly man, the reason everyone is calling you out isn't because we think that what WrestlingGod said is true but because you blew this whole situation out of proportion. You came off as incredibly offended when a simple mistake was made and all that you had to do was call him out and say "Hey Father Ryan actually has never had an 8th grader on their team because they don't not have a middle school." But, you instead got defensive when we all called you out on your childish behavior. 

No one here hates you but life sure would be a lot easier for us and certainly for you if you acted appropriately. 

Sincerely an innocent bystander.

And the funny thing is, if they consolidate Soddy Middle with Soddy high like they are talking about, that adds a possibility that some Soddy middle kids can wrestle as 8th graders like they can with Signal, that might make Soddy even stronger in the future, although it also might push them back into large school territory, I’m not quite sure.

11 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

And the funny thing is, if they consolidate Soddy Middle with Soddy high like they are talking about, that adds a possibility that some Soddy middle kids can wrestle as 8th graders like they can with Signal, that might make Soddy even stronger in the future, although it also might push them back into large school territory, I’m not quite sure.

They won’t stay or come to soddy regardless. Look at jaxon lane, axel Ritchie, an incoming 6th grader and others. Also a couple at BB

Edited by FR615

22 hours ago, FR615 said:

They won’t stay or come to soddy regardless. Look at jaxon lane, axel Ritchie, an incoming 6th grader and others. Also a couple at BB

There are a few pretty dang good wrestlers that have came through Soddy middle and make up a pretty good Soddy team right now as well as some Loftis kids.  Although I hate that some of those very guys I graduated or went to school with sent their kids to McCallie after spending years in kids club at Soddy, but they do what’s best for them, so good luck to them. But I will cheer my Soddy kids on where my own son goes to school and go to their matches. The team would be really tough if they had those guys, would have been nice for them to stick it out like the Uhorchuks have with Signal and proven you don’t need to go private to be a top notch wrestler AND go to a good college program. Oh well, still a tough Soddy team and plenty coming up and a strong kids club led by some really good coaches to build with! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cobrakid8 said:

There are a few pretty dang good wrestlers that have came through Soddy middle and make up a pretty good Soddy team right now as well as some Loftis kids.  Although I hate that some of those very guys I graduated or went to school with sent their kids to McCallie after spending years in kids club at Soddy, but they do what’s best for them, so good luck to them. But I will cheer my Soddy kids on where my own son goes to school and go to their matches. The team would be really tough if they had those guys, would have been nice for them to stick it out like the Uhorchuks have with Signal and proven you don’t need to go private to be a top notch wrestler AND go to a good college program. Oh well, still a tough Soddy team and plenty coming up and a strong kids club led by some really good coaches to build with! 

Soddy has a very good team this year. 

On 12/16/2023 at 10:07 PM, cobrakid8 said:

Everyone with any sense knows you don't need to go to private school.  Hunter Mason (VT), Kodiak Cannedy (litte rock), Colin Dupill (SDSU), Jackson Hurst (UTC), Trae McDaniel (Army), and Brayden Palmer (UTC) just to name a few.  I mean that is quite the list of recent public school wrestlers to put against anyone anywhere in the state.  A ton of guys at NAIA and D2 doing ok for themselves as well.

Excluding Cody Chittum (he spent time everywhere) the three best performing TN D1 wrestlers currently are Brayden Palmer, Trae McDaniel, and Hunter Mason (early in his career).  What do they all have in common?  Public school graduates.

Speaking of Trae, I was watching him wrestle when he hurt his knee a few weeks ago. Anyone heard how he is? Stinks because he was really looking sharp and coming into his own within the college ranks.

Edited by oceansize42

23 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

Everyone with any sense knows you don't need to go to private school.  Hunter Mason (VT), Kodiak Cannedy (litte rock), Colin Dupill (SDSU), Jackson Hurst (UTC), Trae McDaniel (Army), and Brayden Palmer (UTC) just to name a few.  I mean that is quite the list of recent public school wrestlers to put against anyone anywhere in the state.  A ton of guys at NAIA and D2 doing ok for themselves as well.

Excluding Cody Chittum (he spent time everywhere) the three best performing TN D1 wrestlers currently are Brayden Palmer, Trae McDaniel, and Hunter Mason (early in his career).  What do they all have in common?  Public school graduates.

Speaking of Trae, I was watching him wrestle when he hurt his knee a few weeks ago. Anyone heard how he is? Stinks because he was really looking sharp and coming into his own within the college ranks.

Trae is done for the year 

56 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

oh I know, I'm just saying it seems some on here think you have to go private to be a great wrestler because of all the money and other extras you can get going to one. 

On 12/15/2023 at 11:22 AM, cobrakid8 said:

This might be a dumb question, but I rarely see a large school able to use 8th graders because generally for a school to be k-12 or 6-12 the enrollment is fairly small.

is Soddy’s enrollment close enough to big school territory to be able to absorb the MS? Do they take a consolidated school’s 6-8 enrollment into consideration for classification purposes? 

im not overly familiar with that sort of situation.  

8 hours ago, KidGloves said:

This might be a dumb question, but I rarely see a large school able to use 8th graders because generally for a school to be k-12 or 6-12 the enrollment is fairly small.

is Soddy’s enrollment close enough to big school territory to be able to absorb the MS? Do they take a consolidated school’s 6-8 enrollment into consideration for classification purposes? 

im not overly familiar with that sort of situation.  

Good question.  Soddy is 107 students away from the big school threshold.  The number changes each classification cycle though.  

Take every wrestling school in the state,  rank them by enrollment numbers and find the middle, that's the number. 

My thought is they should make consolidated schools count the amount of eligible students towards classifications.  If Signal has 100 8th graders enrolled,   those should count  but not the 6th or 7th graders since they can't be used.  

1 hour ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Good question.  Soddy is 107 students away from the big school threshold.  The number changes each classification cycle though.  

Take every wrestling school in the state,  rank them by enrollment numbers and find the middle, that's the number. 

My thought is they should make consolidated schools count the amount of eligible students towards classifications.  If Signal has 100 8th graders enrolled,   those should count  but not the 6th or 7th graders since they can't be used.  

it is a good question and I'm not completely sure, if I get the time I will try and take a look and see what the rules are on that. I have a feeling no matter what Soddy will move back up to large school soon, this area is growing exponentially and student population will prob go up quite a bit to begin with since all of the new houses being built. Does looke like overall Signal has like 1100 or 1200 students grades 6-12 with only 750 or so for the high school and that seems to be what they actually use for classification. I do agree that maybe 8th graders should be used in the calculations but I am guessing they dont.

Edited by cobrakid8