Forrest Hires Justin Palmer

RocketHouse

8 hours ago, marshall7 said:

Maybe he will do well, however the kids aren't exactly thrilled. When they got rid of Stephenson they were looking at Coach Johnson as head coach. Coach Johnson has gone to school there since kindergarten and graduated in 2012. He teaches there and all of the kids love him in the classroom and out on the field. He took the middle school team to the championships the last 2 years. He's also young enough to be able to get on the same level with them yet old enough that they respect him. It seems they pulled the rug out from underneath Coach Johnson and replaced him with palmer. He's bounced around to several schools with a decent record but his moral compass seems to be a bit off since his reputation has proceeded him about getting a woman pregnant who was not his wife although it was a few years back. But either way I don't believe that the example that we need to be showing the players but what do I know? I've also heard coach Jones won't be assisting any longer because of this. He coached Forrest for 33 years before he retired and came back to help coach Johnson. Seems like more of a loss than a gain with this decision 

I'll address this. 

1. Johnson. He's royalty and you will NEVER see me type a bad word about him. Ever. What he did the last 3 years, and then some, he gets a lifetime pass to everything. Games, perks, they cannot do enough good things for him. No sarcasm I am 1000% serious. I am sure the kids adore him and they should. We all should. 

2. Middle school and high school are different. The schemes are different. The competition is different. I didn't see any middle school except the championship games that were broadcast. I'm not as detailed an X and O guy, but it looked like a similar offense to wing t. Johnson just knew how to connect with the kids and teach them. And he was INCREDIBLE at that. But middle school success doesn't mean automatic high school success. The powers that be obviously felt a more sophisticated system was due here, and while I am the last to defend the administration, I at least see what they were thinking. I think :)

3. His past dalliances. If that's the right word. Maybe just one, I am not taking a shot at religious types. I promise. You have every right to feel that the previous mistake disqualifies him. I won't disrespect you or that opinion. I feel differently. I think people can change and learn and grow. I also think it shows the kids that you can be forgiven and bounce back. None of us is perfect. Some, not saying you, but some fundamentalist types love to feign outrage while they continue to mask and hide their own skeletons. Committee obviously felt the same way. I see their point if they did. 

4. Sometimes it's time for change. I salute the guys who gave decades. Truly! But longevity alone, is not a reason to give someone a birthright. This program had fallen so far from its potential. I don't think this team should go to semis every year. But every 4-5 years I think they can be in the quarters or semis. I think they should play for a gold ball a couple times a decade. I'd like to win one every so often. It's possible that hanging on to the same bloodline and the like for 30 years is part of the problem. I DON'T mean that disrespectfully. 

Finally, I'll end with this. It's done. I was the loudest drum banger for a change. I saw problems in 2018. We have the change. I raised a couple questions in the first few hours. But I quickly accepted it. All Rockets should. Agonizing over this or that will just rob you of joy.  Justin Palmer is the Rocket head football coach. He deserves a minimum of 4 seasons. We gave Coach Eli 6. Who knows if Palmer even stays that long. 

I will probably not change much. I'll question decision-making like I do for all teams I like. But I won't call for the guy's head. These kids deserve some stability, and it's GREAT for them if the head guy does a GREAT job.

Respectfully, 

The General  

• Like 4

I am happy for Chapel Hill with the hire. I believe this will be a great move for the program. Bringing in new blood is what the community needs. Yes Palmer had an issue in Shelbyville with an affair. That dosen't change what kind of coach he is. Hopefully he learned from his mistake and can motivate the young men in the program.

• Like 1

You all just got a really good Coach.  Reading this thread, if you all have the horses, Coach Palmer is going to know how to use them.  This is a passionate, smart football coach who is going to get after it and do everything he can to get those wins.  I was able to coach with him for one year and this guy is as smart as it comes.  He's got Head Coach experience and is passionate about football.  You all got a winner, just let him get settled in and you'll see results this fall.  Congrats to you all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formerblazer said:

You all just got a really good Coach.  Reading this thread, if you all have the horses, Coach Palmer is going to know how to use them.  This is a passionate, smart football coach who is going to get after it and do everything he can to get those wins.  I was able to coach with him for one year and this guy is as smart as it comes.  He's got Head Coach experience and is passionate about football.  You all got a winner, just let him get settled in and you'll see results this fall.  Congrats to you all.

I HOPE YOU ARE CORRECT, THANKS FOR GIVING US THAT INSIGHT 

1 hour ago, TradHunter said:

I am happy for Chapel Hill with the hire. I believe this will be a great move for the program. Bringing in new blood is what the community needs. Yes Palmer had an issue in Shelbyville with an affair. That dosen't change what kind of coach he is. Hopefully he learned from his mistake and can motivate the young men in the program.

well said 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrbigster said:

Forrest must pay really well.Cant see why a coach would leave a bigger school for a smaller school unless lit more money or maybe from that area

I think it's a perfect storm of a rabid and growing community, with a little less red tape than a 4A or 5A school, He's damaged a little or a lot depending on your perspective, so there's a second chance dynamic happening here, and we all know it. If he doesn't get fired from Shelbyville, he's either still there or even at a 6A school. But that situation happened. So PERHAPS this is a great new place for him to be. Time will tell.  

15 hours ago, GeneralForrest said:

I'll address this. 

1. Johnson. He's royalty and you will NEVER see me type a bad word about him. Ever. What he did the last 3 years, and then some, he gets a lifetime pass to everything. Games, perks, they cannot do enough good things for him. No sarcasm I am 1000% serious. I am sure the kids adore him and they should. We all should. 

2. Middle school and high school are different. The schemes are different. The competition is different. I didn't see any middle school except the championship games that were broadcast. I'm not as detailed an X and O guy, but it looked like a similar offense to wing t. Johnson just knew how to connect with the kids and teach them. And he was INCREDIBLE at that. But middle school success doesn't mean automatic high school success. The powers that be obviously felt a more sophisticated system was due here, and while I am the last to defend the administration, I at least see what they were thinking. I think :)

3. His past dalliances. If that's the right word. Maybe just one, I am not taking a shot at religious types. I promise. You have every right to feel that the previous mistake disqualifies him. I won't disrespect you or that opinion. I feel differently. I think people can change and learn and grow. I also think it shows the kids that you can be forgiven and bounce back. None of us is perfect. Some, not saying you, but some fundamentalist types love to feign outrage while they continue to mask and hide their own skeletons. Committee obviously felt the same way. I see their point if they did. 

4. Sometimes it's time for change. I salute the guys who gave decades. Truly! But longevity alone, is not a reason to give someone a birthright. This program had fallen so far from its potential. I don't think this team should go to semis every year. But every 4-5 years I think they can be in the quarters or semis. I think they should play for a gold ball a couple times a decade. I'd like to win one every so often. It's possible that hanging on to the same bloodline and the like for 30 years is part of the problem. I DON'T mean that disrespectfully. 

Finally, I'll end with this. It's done. I was the loudest drum banger for a change. I saw problems in 2018. We have the change. I raised a couple questions in the first few hours. But I quickly accepted it. All Rockets should. Agonizing over this or that will just rob you of joy.  Justin Palmer is the Rocket head football coach. He deserves a minimum of 4 seasons. We gave Coach Eli 6. Who knows if Palmer even stays that long. 

I will probably not change much. I'll question decision-making like I do for all teams I like. But I won't call for the guy's head. These kids deserve some stability, and it's GREAT for them if the head guy does a GREAT job.

Respectfully, 

The General  

Good post General. I like Johnson, but the idea that he should've been the next HC is laughable. Everyone in coaching circles knows that this is a good hire, and trying to bring his personal life into it is despicable. If CH folks want to get personal, they should look in the mirror. Lord knows one of their native sons (who moved on) is far from a beacon of morality, nor is many currently tied to the program. Best of luck to Coach Palmer and great job administration for bringing in a proven guy to lead the program. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LeroyBrown said:

Good post General. I like Johnson, but the idea that he should've been the next HC is laughable. Everyone in coaching circles knows that this is a good hire, and trying to bring his personal life into it is despicable. If CH folks want to get personal, they should look in the mirror. Lord knows one of their native sons (who moved on) is far from a beacon of morality, nor is many currently tied to the program. Best of luck to Coach Palmer and great job administration for bringing in a proven guy to lead the program. 

gasp, we agreed on something?  I'd have not used "laughable" if for no other reason than respect. 23-0 in 3 seasons is immortality in my book.   

but otherwise i agree with your post.