Cleveland High School Recruiting

Ummmno

Let’s be fair. I don’t care if Jones foots all the bill, half, three quarters, whatever. We don’t run into that up here on my side of the state. Cleveland gets a lot of shade tossed at them because of their affiliation with Mr Jones, but if he came up here and offered up a large sum of money, I’d be more than happy to take it, as would everyone else. 

I wish we all had a Mr Jones. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, KidGloves said:

Let’s be fair. I don’t care if Jones foots all the bill, half, three quarters, whatever. We don’t run into that up here on my side of the state. Cleveland gets a lot of shade tossed at them because of their affiliation with Mr Jones, but if he came up here and offered up a large sum of money, I’d be more than happy to take it, as would everyone else. 

We all would, would be dumb not to take the money, however I’d also give credit where it’s due if it was offered! There’s nothing wrong with it and it wouldn’t take away from the program, I guess they think it does. 

6 hours ago, KidGloves said:

I can respect this take. Of course the money Allan donates helps a lot. My whole point is that people who believe we have the success we do because of Allan’s support are very misguided. The vast majority of our fundraising goes to paying for our two high school team’s expenses. What people do not realize is that those programs are successful because of what happens in our room during the developmental years. The commitment level of our best kids and parents is not common. They are all paying their own way to everything we go to for our kids to find the toughest competition as well. I know other programs are not doing the same thing because I am at every one of those events and those programs are simply not sending kids (look at the wrestler lists). So yes, in that sense we are out working everyone. I also know Alan is not paying for all of us to be there. That is my gripe with those who believe somehow we have a silver spoon in our mouth. The other reason we are successful is because we are blessed with two of the very best coaches in the country. The vast majority of our kids on our high school team were developed from start to finish by our staff. Josh’s and Joey’s understanding of how to teach wrestling, motivate kids, plan development, etc…is at a level that is above what other developmental coaches are doing in my opinion. We train more, we travel more, we have the two best developmental coaches. That is why we are the most successful right now. Period. I am not saying there are not other coaches who are very good and very knowledgeable, I just believe the two we have are the best at doing it. What annoys me is that people give credit to a person who writes a check that makes it easier for our high school team to travel because it reduces our fundraising burden and also allows us to have a nice facility that we can use to give our kids a great experience as a part of that high school team for the fact that we have so many kids in our program who are great wrestlers. They are not great because of that money. Those kids are great because their commitment level is elite and they are coached by the two coaches who are the very best at what they do. People can keep on believing what they want, or they can pay attention and find a Josh Bosken and Joey Knox and start matching the commitment level our athletes and families have as a whole (and I sincerely hope that happens because it is good for our kids and the state as a whole to be ultra competitive).

Edited by FrecoFanatic
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, FrecoFanatic said:

I can respect this take. Of course the money Allan donates helps a lot. My whole point is that people who believe we have the success we do because of Allan’s support are very misguided. The vast majority of our fundraising goes to paying for our two high school team’s expenses. What people do not realize is that those programs are successful because of what happens in our room during the developmental years. The commitment level of our best kids and parents is not common. They are all paying their own way to everything we go to for our kids to find the toughest competition as well. I know other programs are not doing the same thing because I am at every one of those events and those programs are simply not sending kids (look at the wrestler lists). So yes, in that sense we are out working everyone. I also know Alan is not paying for all of us to be there. That is my gripe with those who believe somehow we have a silver spoon in our mouth. The other reason we are successful is because we are blessed with two of the very best coaches in the country. The vast majority of our kids on our high school team were developed from start to finish by our staff. Josh’s and Joey’s understanding of how to teach wrestling, motivate kids, plan development, etc…is at a level that is above what other developmental coaches are doing in my opinion. We train more, we travel more, we have the two best developmental coaches. That is why we are the most successful right now. Period. I am not saying there are not other coaches who are very good and very knowledgeable, I just believe the two we have are the best at doing it. What annoys me is that people give credit to a person who writes a check that makes it easier for our high school team to travel because it reduces our fundraising burden and also allows us to have a nice facility that we can use to give our kids a great experience as a part of that high school team for the fact that we have so many kids in our program who are great wrestlers. They are not great because of that money. Those kids are great because their commitment level is elite and they are coached by the two coaches who are the very best at what they do. People can keep on believing what they want, or they can pay attention and find a Josh Bosken and Joey Knox and start matching the commitment level our athletes and families have as a whole (and I sincerely hope that happens because it is good for our kids and the state as a whole to be ultra competitive).

Again, the question was asked, do you believe that without Allan(has two L’s) support do you think the high school team or even HC would be anywhere close to what it is today?  Allan paid for the HC program to be started, he paid a heck of a lot of money to get its foundation built just like he gave the money to build a big fancy wrestling only building.  So again, maybe you outwork some people now by going to these great big tournaments, BUT without his money to start it all you aren’t even in the position to take advantage now!  It’s like starting a business and a good friend gives you the seed money to start it, now you are making millions but in the end if that friend didn’t give the seed money to begin with the business never takes off! The side up there wants to keep pretending they outwork everyone, without even acknowledging the fact that you wouldn’t be in the position now to outwork anyone if the money hadn’t been given. In the end without Allan Jones doing what he did Josh vision never comes to fruition and Cleveland is about where they were(pretty decent program but 2nd fiddle to Bradley as they were in the 90’s and throughout the 2000’s). Heck you were 2nd fiddle to Soddy back in the day before they lost a bunch of students and now considered a small school.  Listen, it doesn’t take away where your kids are now and the success of the program, however it’s asinine to think you are anywhere where you are right now without Allan Jones and there isn’t a program in the state that has that kind of advantage. As kid gloves said, there isn’t anyone on here that wouldn’t also take the same and if I won the lottery tomorrow and could give you are dang right I’d give a million or so to Soddy wrestling club and the high school team. I’d try and make them the small school Cleveland! So just not sure why all Cleveland fans want to get butthurt calling a spade a spade.

23 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Again, the question was asked, do you believe that without Allan(has two L’s) support do you think the high school team or even HC would be anywhere close to what it is today?  Allan paid for the HC program to be started, he paid a heck of a lot of money to get its foundation built just like he gave the money to build a big fancy wrestling only building.  So again, maybe you outwork some people now by going to these great big tournaments, BUT without his money to start it all you aren’t even in the position to take advantage now!  It’s like starting a business and a good friend gives you the seed money to start it, now you are making millions but in the end if that friend didn’t give the seed money to begin with the business never takes off! The side up there wants to keep pretending they outwork everyone, without even acknowledging the fact that you wouldn’t be in the position now to outwork anyone if the money hadn’t been given. In the end without Allan Jones doing what he did Josh vision never comes to fruition and Cleveland is about where they were(pretty decent program but 2nd fiddle to Bradley as they were in the 90’s and throughout the 2000’s). Heck you were 2nd fiddle to Soddy back in the day before they lost a bunch of students and now considered a small school.  Listen, it doesn’t take away where your kids are now and the success of the program, however it’s asinine to think you are anywhere where you are right now without Allan Jones and there isn’t a program in the state that has that kind of advantage. As kid gloves said, there isn’t anyone on here that wouldn’t also take the same and if I won the lottery tomorrow and could give you are dang right I’d give a million or so to Soddy wrestling club and the high school team. I’d try and make them the small school Cleveland! So just not sure why all Cleveland fans want to get butthurt calling a spade a spade.

Are you still mad you cost Soddy a state championship in 1999?

29 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Do you realize that Soddy IS doing what Cleveland has been doing?

We are a few years out still, but when we get their I hope people realize that the only way you achieve success is working, not money. Money didn't get us going, a vision and the fact that we want to win.

Stop embarrassing us.

57 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

Look at this way, if you take Josh and Joey out of the equation and leave Allan’s money, is Cleveland the best public school program in the state? Nope. If I decide not to spend tens of thousands of dollars hauling my kid all over the country to places other people will not go over the last 9 years, pushing him to challenge himself; if he only trained at the Jones Center during wrestling season 3 months a year, does he have the success he has had? If he was not willing to do all of the extra training when other kids are not, would he be as good as he is? Nope. So yes, I believe if we had the exact same group of kids, parents, and coaches and lived in ANY other part of the state and had a wrestling mat, this group of kids would be just as good. HCWC is great because Josh is a grinder. Cleveland is great because Joey is a grinder. It’s WHO they are and money did not make them that way. If you think either guy or any of these kids would not be giving the exact same effort other places, you are greatly mistaken. Was HCWC started with the help of Allan’s donations, sure, would it be what it was with a different set of coaches and athletes? Nope. We did not come to Cleveland years ago because of Allan Jones or the Jones Center. We came to Cleveland because of Josh and Joey. You can’t argue that because it is straight from the horses mouth. If either of them left and went somewhere else, we would be gone. You ask any other parent of our kids the same thing and see what they say. So Allan and the Cleveland community better take care of those two guys because if they left and Allan’s money stays, the dynasty would die quickly. Everyone throwing shade at us wants to act like money is the reason we are good. Like I said, keep believing that if you want to. And honestly, I don’t care if you do. I only posted the information I have because people that are uninformed need to know that the people who deserve the real credit are the kids, Josh, Joey, and their staff. Period.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, FrecoFanatic said:

Look at this way, if you take Josh and Joey out of the equation and leave Allan’s money, is Cleveland the best public school program in the state? Nope. If I decide not to spend tens of thousands of dollars hauling my kid all over the country to places other people will not go over the last 9 years, pushing him to challenge himself; if he only trained at the Jones Center during wrestling season 3 months a year, does he have the success he has had? If he was not willing to do all of the extra training when other kids are not, would he be as good as he is? Nope. So yes, I believe if we had the exact same group of kids, parents, and coaches and lived in ANY other part of the state and had a wrestling mat, this group of kids would be just as good. HCWC is great because Josh is a grinder. Cleveland is great because Joey is a grinder. It’s WHO they are and money did not make them that way. If you think either guy or any of these kids would not be giving the exact same effort other places, you are greatly mistaken. Was HCWC started with the help of Allan’s donations, sure, would it be what it was with a different set of coaches and athletes? Nope. We did not come to Cleveland years ago because of Allan Jones or the Jones Center. We came to Cleveland because of Josh and Joey. You can’t argue that because it is straight from the horses mouth. If either of them left and went somewhere else, we would be gone. You ask any other parent of our kids the same thing and see what they say. So Allan and the Cleveland community better take care of those two guys because if they left and Allan’s money stays, the dynasty would die quickly. Everyone throwing shade at us wants to act like money is the reason we are good. Like I said, keep believing that if you want to. And honestly, I don’t care if you do. I only posted the information I have because people that are uninformed need to know that the people who deserve the real credit are the kids, Josh, Joey, and their staff. Period.

You act as if Josh and Joey are two of a kind. That there are none like them. No disrespect to them, they're great coaches. But if you think a man worth 500 million dollars wouldn't bring in other top tier coaches you're kidding yourself. 

All you have to do is just admit that cleveland's money puts them at an advantage over the rest of the state. Its really not rocket science and you guys are the only ones denying it. 

10 minutes ago, FrecoFanatic said:

Couldn't agree more with that statement. If Josh and Joey leave we would be gone as well, because they are the ones who have created the culture not Allan. Great post!!!

23 minutes ago, FrecoFanatic said:

you do understand you won state championships with Jake Yost as head coach, what was it 2 in a row before he left to go to McCallie?  You had a down year or 2 with joey and Josh as head coaches before the current run? I mean maybe I am misremembering things but I'm pretty sure that is how the last 10 or so years have been there and that started with Jake Yost as head coach and I think Josh was a head coach for a short period of time before stepping down. 

3 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

you do understand you won state championships with Jake Yost as head coach, what was it 2 in a row before he left to go to McCallie?  You had a down year or 2 with joey and Josh as head coaches before the current run? I mean maybe I am misremembering things but I'm pretty sure that is how the last 10 or so years have been there and that started with Jake Yost as head coach and I think Josh was a head coach for a short period of time before stepping down. 

oh no no no you're wrong. if bosken and knox left the entire cleveland program would crumble and wither away into non existance. them and them alone get the glory of the blue raiders success :roll: