Cleveland High School Recruiting

Ummmno

It doesn't matter whether they do or don't (I have no idea). Real life kicks in after sports have ended and then the rubber meets the road.  Success in sports, contrary to what many believe, doesn't correlate to success in life. I was a tall skinny nerd (still am) and so were my friends way back when. Within my circle of friends (and my brother) we are to the man financially successful, zero divorces, raised productive children, and do/did so with a high quality of life.  Sports teach some lessons very quickly and harshly. Hopefully the kids gain some friends that are long lasting, but believe it or not all of that is attainable outside sports.  None of my friends or family were athletes, not even close.

I love wrestling, best thing my son ever did. Gosh I loved it, but it was for him and not me (as stated I was terrible in sports, anything he accomplished was more than I did). I'm immensely grateful but sports mean nothing beyond the age of 25.  I was going to write 22 or 23 but then I remembered how things are...

23 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

When will we, as a community, come together and say enough is enough?

The only thing they're "outworking everybody" with is the money they're dishing out to bring kids to their program. 

they using the Nick Saban method of recruiting, it's called the BUMP method, where they are at tourneys and just happen to talk to the parents about why they would want to move to Cleveland TN a place I make fun of my girlfriend for living there since its high in crime rate(77.31 higher than national average) and below state average in reading and math scores.

2 minutes ago, oceansize42 said:

It doesn't matter whether they do or don't (I have no idea). Real life kicks in after sports have ended and then the rubber meets the road.  Success in sports, contrary to what many believe, doesn't correlate to success in life. I was a tall skinny nerd (still am) and so were my friends way back when. Within my circle of friends (and my brother) we are to the man financially successful, zero divorces, raised productive children, and do/did so with a high quality of life.  Sports teach some lessons very quickly and harshly. Hopefully the kids gain some friends that are long lasting, but believe it or not all of that is attainable outside sports.  None of my friends or family were athletes, not even close.

I love wrestling, best thing my son ever did. Gosh I loved it, but it was for him and not me (as stated I was terrible in sports, anything he accomplished was more than I did). I'm immensely grateful but sports mean nothing beyond the age of 25.  I was going to write 22 or 23 but then I remembered how things are...

yeah, I completely agree! I will have to say that sports have meant a great deal to my life, from participating myself in soccer, baseball, football and wrestling(I was average at best with them, but had a love affair with wrestling) but I enjoyed coaching the most! I would have loved if my son would have wanted to stick with wrestling, he showed lots of promise but his older brother played soccer and he wanted to be like him, so into coaching soccer and being a ref I did! Now that I've gotten older and my health declining it sucks to not be more involved in sports, however like you, I've been successful outside of sports and I know that my son will do the same, even if he doesn't want to continue sports in college he most likely will have plenty of academic scholarships to go to school with if that is what he chooses to do. I've enjoyed watching him learn some of the lessons that sports provide, but in the end it will have a very small part of what shapes him into the person her becomes!

Guys, come on. This isn't productive. I know everyone is all sore over the other thread, but let's keep the toxic waste to that conversation so the rest of us can ignore it.

It doesn't help anything to disparage other programs, especially in your own state. We moved here from WA a few years ago (nobody recruited us) and TN sure seems to be shooting itself in the foot with all this infighting. It's worse here than it was back in WA and I was deep in that community for many years. In my view, TN is starting to make a name for itself on the national scene, but we'll never put together anything that matters if everyone can't let go of their little beefs and gripes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mr Grassman....these people arent fighting with anyone but the guy stirring everything up. Im in a club that i like to think rivals Cleveland, they are good people and work hard.

Bosken or Knox arent on here bashing any program or putting their program above anyone elses, its a few people potentially trying to get people bashing Cleveland on purpose. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rasslinking said:

Mr Grassman....these people arent fighting with anyone but the guy stirring everything up. Im in a club that i like to think rivals Cleveland, they are good people and work hard.

Bosken or Knox arent on here bashing any program or putting their program above anyone elses, its a few people potentially trying to get people bashing Cleveland on purpose. 

Agree, but he isn't even in this thread. This is a new one started to complain about Cleveland. Regardless, I'm talking about more than just this forum. The infighting in TN is hamstringing everyone's progress. I noticed it from the time we arrived. This forum over the last couple of days is just a particularly bad example of the bigger problem.

7 minutes ago, GrassmanCLEV said:

Agree, but he isn't even in this thread. This is a new one started to complain about Cleveland. Regardless, I'm talking about more than just this forum. The infighting in TN is hamstringing everyone's progress. I noticed it from the time we arrived. This forum over the last couple of days is just a particularly bad example of the bigger problem.

I don't think forums or even infighting is going to cause the death of the sport or for it not to grow! First, I've put it before on this forum but last I checked the sport as a whole across the country is down from 20 years ago, we can add as many divisions as we want and that isn't going to change. This generation as a whole is much more into technology and that has caused some of the not growing to happen, much more simpler for them to jump on a video game when they get home from school than it was for some of us growing up! 

I love picking on TreyB, it's been easy to rile him up and get him going, BUT I do think it's toxic to say they are only so much better than everyone else because of outworking everyone! That is toxic talk because they completely overlook any other advantages that they have and talk down to anyone else by saying they just outwork everyone!  Not even taking into account the many schools across the state that have to share their gyms with many other sports, don't have a private space to have their clubs meet at any time any place, I mean you can see higher calling on facebook being open for practice when many other teams and even clubs don't have that ability because they can only practice where and when they are let to practice(by the way how many public school clubs have their own private practice facilities dedicated to wrestling)?   That toxic talk is what gets on some of our nerves, because it is taking away from the many of amazing coaches across the state that do not have the same resources and have to work just as hard to maintain what they do have, while I could tell you that there are many coaches I am friends with right now that could easily take over at Cleveland and continue their absolute killing of public schools and quite a few that could take over for Josh Bosken right now and keep HCWC head and shoulders above most other clubs throughout the state.  What I DO GIVE JOSH credit for is the vision he had to create this club and take it to the level he has, however, would he be able to do the same moving down into South Georgia or even into Alabama without the resources that were given to that vision by Allan Jones and friends? It's not to take away from Josh because he is amazing and a GREAT guy to boot also, however it is a question I have with it all in was this just a perfect storm from having Allan Jones that was tired of seeing Bradley kick their butts for so many years just opening his checkbook and resources and saying, hey lets make this happen and I dont care what all the costs are!

Cleveland is the best public school in the state and I do believe they give Baylor, McCallie and FR a run for the money as best in the entire state and will for a very long time, just please stop with the rhetoric that we just outwork everyone and see the advantages that they have and just keep using those and becoming one of the better teams across the country and not just the state! 

10 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

I don't think forums or even infighting is going to cause the death of the sport or for it not to grow! First, I've put it before on this forum but last I checked the sport as a whole across the country is down from 20 years ago, we can add as many divisions as we want and that isn't going to change. This generation as a whole is much more into technology and that has caused some of the not growing to happen, much more simpler for them to jump on a video game when they get home from school than it was for some of us growing up! 

I love picking on TreyB, it's been easy to rile him up and get him going, BUT I do think it's toxic to say they are only so much better than everyone else because of outworking everyone! That is toxic talk because they completely overlook any other advantages that they have and talk down to anyone else by saying they just outwork everyone!  Not even taking into account the many schools across the state that have to share their gyms with many other sports, don't have a private space to have their clubs meet at any time any place, I mean you can see higher calling on facebook being open for practice when many other teams and even clubs don't have that ability because they can only practice where and when they are let to practice(by the way how many public school clubs have their own private practice facilities dedicated to wrestling)?   That toxic talk is what gets on some of our nerves, because it is taking away from the many of amazing coaches across the state that do not have the same resources and have to work just as hard to maintain what they do have, while I could tell you that there are many coaches I am friends with right now that could easily take over at Cleveland and continue their absolute killing of public schools and quite a few that could take over for Josh Bosken right now and keep HCWC head and shoulders above most other clubs throughout the state.  What I DO GIVE JOSH credit for is the vision he had to create this club and take it to the level he has, however, would he be able to do the same moving down into South Georgia or even into Alabama without the resources that were given to that vision by Allan Jones and friends? It's not to take away from Josh because he is amazing and a GREAT guy to boot also, however it is a question I have with it all in was this just a perfect storm from having Allan Jones that was tired of seeing Bradley kick their butts for so many years just opening his checkbook and resources and saying, hey lets make this happen and I dont care what all the costs are!

Cleveland is the best public school in the state and I do believe they give Baylor, McCallie and FR a run for the money as best in the entire state and will for a very long time, just please stop with the rhetoric that we just outwork everyone and see the advantages that they have and just keep using those and becoming one of the better teams across the country and not just the state!

You're taking the "outwork everyone" thing too personally. It's a club motto - a battle cry for the kids to give their best. It's a point of pride for the kids that do put in their best effort to have those words on their shirt. I don't think the coaches or most of the parents truly believe that Cleveland's work ethic is unmatched anywhere in the world. I can tell you I've been in rooms that consistently go harder than Cleveland, but there's more to success than just going hard every day.

When I was in VA Beach last year, wearing my "outwork everyone" shirt, I ran into another guy from a different state that had the same thing on his shirt. Should I have punched him in the face and ripped the shirt off his back? Doesn't he know that WE outwork everyone? No. We introduced ourselves, complimented the shirts, and wished each other luck. Because we're not idiots.

I'm not going to post anymore about this because I have more important things to do. I wish all your clubs luck and genuinely hope we lose the state title soon. Nothing feeds the beast like the hunger of 2nd place.

14 minutes ago, GrassmanCLEV said:

You're taking the "outwork everyone" thing too personally. It's a club motto - a battle cry for the kids to give their best. It's a point of pride for the kids that do put in their best effort to have those words on their shirt. I don't think the coaches or most of the parents truly believe that Cleveland's work ethic is unmatched anywhere in the world. I can tell you I've been in rooms that consistently go harder than Cleveland, but there's more to success than just going hard every day.

When I was in VA Beach last year, wearing my "outwork everyone" shirt, I ran into another guy from a different state that had the same thing on his shirt. Should I have punched him in the face and ripped the shirt off his back? Doesn't he know that WE outwork everyone? No. We introduced ourselves, complimented the shirts, and wished each other luck. Because we're not idiots.

I'm not going to post anymore about this because I have more important things to do. I wish all your clubs luck and genuinely hope we lose the state title soon. Nothing feeds the beast like the hunger of 2nd place.

Members of the Cleveland high coahcing staff have been on this forum before telling people the opposite of what you just said. 

They dont get extra funding, they dont get transfers in, the ONLY reason they win more than the rest is simply becuase they outwork everybody. These are their words. 

• Upvote 2