Coaches Overstaying Their Welcome

22 minutes ago, FootballismyVice said:

Do you have any school that has kept a coach that maybe they shouldn't or any coach hung around maybe too long.

Paige head football coach Charles Rathbone is going into his 10th season, and if he doesn’t win state this year, I think it’s got to be his last. He’s had some very good teams, but especially this past season completely sold this year with terrible play calling and time management all year. They had all the capability in the world to win a championship this last season, and they do again this year, especially with a linebacker duo like Anes and Hazzard. I would give him this year, but if he doesn’t win a championship, or at least even make it to the championship game, it’s got to be his last;, there’s no more excuses for him.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Elias287 said:

Paige head football coach Charles Rathbone is going into his 10th season, and if he doesn’t win state this year, I think it’s got to be his last. He’s had some very good teams, but especially this past season completely sold this year with terrible play calling and time management all year. They had all the capability in the world to win a championship this last season, and they do again this year, especially with a linebacker duo like Anes and Hazzard. I would give him this year, but if he doesn’t win a championship, or at least even make it to the championship game, it’s got to be his last;, there’s no more excuses for him.

I think he has made it to the big game for three years, he just ran into better teams from knox co

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, SheriffofRedRock said:

I think he has made it to the big game for three years, he just ran into better teams from knox co

I thought they should’ve won. They were at what, the 2 yard line on first down going in for the wining score, and flubbed it. But, on the other hand you have to give West props for stopping them too. But man, they seriously flubbed it there at the end. It was definitely terrible clock management. Them and West were about as even as two teams can get. Neither team was what I would call clear cut better than the other. West just made a few great plays on D @ the end, with a bit of help from the Page coaching staff’s terrible clock management.

Edited by SweetScience
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Elias287 said:

Maybe I'm the minority, but I don't get this logic at all. Outside of a few good years with Jackie Benett, the history of Page football prior to Rathbone has been a whole lot of nothing. In 21 and 22 they were big underdogs and it showed. Last year they graduated alot of talent on offense from the previous team, if anything they provably overachieved. Don't think anyone is going to put more pressure to win than Page puts on themselves.

If you play 15 games, you had a great season. To fire Rathbone for not winning the last one (regardless of how this season goes) is just crazy when he doesn't have an advantage in talent

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Elias287 said:

Charles Rathbone has been the head football coach at Page since 2012.  Next season will be his 13th as head football coach at Page.  His overall record is 103-44 during that time.  

1 hour ago, howdoitknow said:

Charles Rathbone has been the head football coach at Page since 2012.  Next season will be his 13th as head football coach at Page.  His overall record is 103-44 during that time.  

Well, the official website is wrong then, because that’s what I was reading; it says he's been there for nine years, but either way, he’s had a lot of good teams that have not shown up in state at all when they were needed to and should have.

3 hours ago, MidTennFootball said:

Maybe I'm the minority, but I don't get this logic at all. Outside of a few good years with Jackie Benett, the history of Page football prior to Rathbone has been a whole lot of nothing. In 21 and 22 they were big underdogs and it showed. Last year they graduated alot of talent on offense from the previous team, if anything they provably overachieved. Don't think anyone is going to put more pressure to win than Page puts on themselves.

If you play 15 games, you had a great season. To fire Rathbone for not winning the last one (regardless of how this season goes) is just crazy when he doesn't have an advantage in talent

He definitely had an advantage in talent over West both years that they played 2022, which was just a straight embarrassment. Nobody was expecting Paige to lose by that much or even lose to Knox West, but they did, and you can only point fingers so far either way. However, look at it: the two losses from this season from independence and Knoxville West shouldn’t have happened and only happened because of terrible time management and play calls at the end of the game, which has been a common thing. Verizon, tire coaching career at page I'm not doubting he is a great coach and has built something special over at page, but he just needs to complete the journey with a gold ball, which he hasn’t done so far, even though looking at his past teams.

23 minutes ago, Elias287 said:

He definitely had an advantage in talent over West both years that they played 2022, which was just a straight embarrassment. Nobody was expecting Paige to lose by that much or even lose to Knox West, but they did, and you can only point fingers so far either way. However, look at it: the two losses from this season from independence and Knoxville West shouldn’t have happened and only happened because of terrible time management and play calls at the end of the game, which has been a common thing. Verizon, tire coaching career at page I'm not doubting he is a great coach and has built something special over at page, but he just needs to complete the journey with a gold ball, which he hasn’t done so far, even though looking at his past teams.

Even the best football coaches in the country (at all levels) struggle with clock management. Easy to judge a play after its over.

Your not doubting that he isn't a great coach, yet you advocate for firing a guy that has gone 63-17 the last 6 seasons, you can't have it both ways