Coaches Overstaying Their Welcome

10 minutes ago, cbg said:

If you don’t practice clock management with kids you will continue to get your backside kicked in crucial situations.  The definition of insanity is to continue doing the same thing and expect different results.

That reminds me of the 2022 Alcoa-Maryville game and we're down near the twenty with over a minute and a few seconds to go and we have three coaches on the side jumping up and down sending in signals and the clock is running while the boy's on the field were looking back like dear in headlights and the clock just clicking away. Then the panic set in and we throw a pick six because we wasted more than half a minute or more during that Chinese Firedrill that cost us a good chance to win the game. I have no idea why we were doing that stuff because I don't know of any Bill Belichick's coaching in East Tennessee stealing signals. But that's high school football and still the best entertainment around unlike tomorrow night when everyone puts on their blinders to watch a game that has already been fixed by Vegas.

10 hours ago, cbg said:

If you don’t practice clock management with kids you will continue to get your backside kicked in crucial situations.  The definition of insanity is to continue doing the same thing and expect different results.

You don't think coaches do this already?  I've seen it done at the high school level myself at several schools. 

There is simply a big difference in practicing it on Tuesday and executing it on game night,  and especially from immature teenagers. 

34 minutes ago, HTV said:

You don't think coaches do this already?  I've seen it done at the high school level myself at several schools. 

There is simply a big difference in practicing it on Tuesday and executing it on game night,  and especially from immature teenagers. 

No, I do not think that most high school coaches practice time management skills on a regular basis.  I also do not feel that most teams devote very much time to special teams when it is actually close to  1/3 of the game.  What I have witnessed out of even the best high school coaches is they work on special teams during the Thursday walk trough.

10 hours ago, cbg said:

No, I do not think that most high school coaches practice time management skills on a regular basis.  I also do not feel that most teams devote very much time to special teams when it is actually close to  1/3 of the game.  What I have witnessed out of even the best high school coaches is they work on special teams during the Thursday walk trough.

11 hours ago, HTV said:

I actually agree with both of you. In the early seventies we put a great deal of time into special teams, 2 minute drills, wet ball practice (when dry and 90 degrees), holding onto the ball and recovering fumbles. BUT practice started at 2:30 finished at six on Monday, 7:00 on Tuesday, 5:30 on Wednesday and Thursday pregame film only. You can’t do what we did with the shorter practices and the multiple formations and more complicated defenses of today.

On 2/9/2024 at 10:07 PM, Elias287 said:

He definitely had an advantage in talent over West both years that they played 2022, which was just a straight embarrassment. Nobody was expecting Paige to lose by that much or even lose to Knox West, but they did, and you can only point fingers so far either way. However, look at it: the two losses from this season from independence and Knoxville West shouldn’t have happened and only happened because of terrible time management and play calls at the end of the game, which has been a common thing. Verizon, tire coaching career at page I'm not doubting he is a great coach and has built something special over at page, but he just needs to complete the journey with a gold ball, which he hasn’t done so far, even though looking at his past teams.

The 2022 West team was absolutely loaded with talent. Definitely had a better team than Page that year. 2023 was probably more even.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, cbg said:

I would say most successful high school programs are practicing the 2-minute drill and covering all special teams on a weekly basis. HTV said it best, you have teenagers trying to execute it on Friday in a pressure situation. In a 2-minute drill, a lot of control is taken out of the coach's hands and put in the player's hands because of the situation. In the NFL, it is their job to be great in these situations. In high school, most kids are just trying to talk to girls after the game. Huge difference. 

On 2/9/2024 at 2:40 PM, Elias287 said:

Paige head football coach Charles Rathbone is going into his 10th season, and if he doesn’t win state this year, I think it’s got to be his last. He’s had some very good teams, but especially this past season completely sold this year with terrible play calling and time management all year. They had all the capability in the world to win a championship this last season, and they do again this year, especially with a linebacker duo like Anes and Hazzard. I would give him this year, but if he doesn’t win a championship, or at least even make it to the championship game, it’s got to be his last;, there’s no more excuses for him.

This quite possibly is the worst take in the history of this board.

Edited by Fandom101

On 2/9/2024 at 10:07 PM, Elias287 said:

He definitely had an advantage in talent over West both years that they played 2022, which was just a straight embarrassment. Nobody was expecting Paige to lose by that much or even lose to Knox West, but they did, and you can only point fingers so far either way. However, look at it: the two losses from this season from independence and Knoxville West shouldn’t have happened and only happened because of terrible time management and play calls at the end of the game, which has been a common thing. Verizon, tire coaching career at page I'm not doubting he is a great coach and has built something special over at page, but he just needs to complete the journey with a gold ball, which he hasn’t done so far, even though looking at his past teams.

I take it back! This is the worst take in the history of this board! If you really believe that Page had more talent than West 2 years ago, that says a lot about your abilities. I doubt you will ever be hired as a talent scout. Might need to stay at a few more Holiday Inn Expresses Eli! What a ridiculous statement. It was a running clock for goodness sake!

• Upvote 1

On 2/9/2024 at 3:28 PM, SweetScience said:

I thought they should’ve won. They were at what, the 2 yard line on first down going in for the wining score, and flubbed it. But, on the other hand you have to give West props for stopping them too. But man, they seriously flubbed it there at the end. It was definitely terrible clock management. Them and West were about as even as two teams can get. Neither team was what I would call clear cut better than the other. West just made a few great plays on D @ the end, with a bit of help from the Page coaching staff’s terrible clock management.

It is a feat in itself to make it three times as some never even make it once. I could see how the community there may want someone new to come in so they can take them over the hump, but it may be worse than before so be careful.

• Upvote 2