best of the 5 state champs

eaglefan

Here's my list-

1) Lipscomb... they beat us 16-13 in the regular season. I know they're just a 2a team, BUT they compleatly dominated us(Marshall County).Great coachs, lots of discipline!!!Any one that can dominate us that way has got to be amazing!!!

2) Maryville... lots of disipline, great coaching

3) Brentwood...little bit of every thing

4) CPA

5) Ridgeway

IT'S JUST THE FACTS!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eaglefan - - You never know since the champs don't play "head to head" - - but I will say this - Lipscomb's level of play in the playoffs was significantly better than their level of play when they beat Marshall County early in the season (one week after they lost a heartbreaker to Goodpasture)- and you're right, they were strong even that early in the season. The Mustangs were truly a team of destiny and their strength really came to light in the playoffs - - when it counts the most. What's most telling about the Lipscomb team and the fact that they do deserve consideration as the strongest team in the state is what they did in the playoffs - - In 5 games, 133 points for, 8 against - - and 3 of those games (Tyner, Goodpasture and Sweetwater) were played against teams ranked higher than Lipscomb throughout the year. The defense held Mitchell, in a state championship game, to minus 20 yards on the ground. Not only was the defense the toughest in the state, the offense put plenty of points on the board with a strong run game and the ability to pass when necessary. The '02 Mustangs are truly Champions.

eaglefan---

just want to say thank you!

You said "Anyone that can dominate us that way (16-13) has to be amazing."

What does that say about the Cavaliers? (45-0)

Thanks for saying we are MORE than amazing.

And as for Ridgeway (3A Champs) I don't know much about the other classifications, but there defense is good enough to stay with ANYONE. Give them some credit in this thread. They had an awesome defense.

I would have to say that Brentwood would be the top dog this year. They are the 5A Champions. The best of the biggest. I saw Maryville and they would definately be one to argue about too. The way that they pulled together to seal the win late in the game from a huge come back was impressive. I just think that Brentwood has too many leaders and hands down a more advanced and sofisticated coaching staff. These kids are learning a side of football that no body else in the state can measure. Having the coaching of Les Steckel, Mike Jones, and Ron Crawford is what makes these kids so tough to hang with. Les is looking 6 or 7 plays ahead in order to call this one. The football intelligance is just too strong to argue with. But all in all there are a few teams that could be argued

i'm not one to talk trash...but i'm kind gettin sick of hearing lipscomb must not be THAT good beacuse boyd beat them....i play for lipscomb and i have the upmost respect for their program...great coaches...healy is awesome..nelson is a stud...but when fans that did'nt even play in the game get on here and run their mouths...thats not right....i'll be the first to admit..boyd deserved to win, they we're the better team THAT night, but thats one night, i'm not saying boyd got lucky or anything...because they're that good...but i think it would be interesting to see what the score would have been if we had played them in week 15..also i would like to say thank you to boyd because we would'nt have won state if ya'll had'nt beaten us..good luck next year