David Lipscomb vs. Portland

bigAsports

I saw these two play last year and thought it would be worth seeing again. I was a little disappointed it was not a closer game.

Brewer kid is an awesome athlete. Long range potential is very high. At this point, the Stephen kid has a far superior offensive game. Being 6'4" will cap his potential. He played almost seven minutes of the first quarter and got his second foul. Already had 10 points. Sat out the entire second quarter. He started the third quarter and picked up his third foul in about a minute. Sat down until the fourth quarter. Played about another minute and got his fourth foul. When he finally got back into the game number five came in about 30 seconds. Frustration seemed to be the cause. 15 or so total points.

Brewer had over 20 I'm sure. Shoots a fairly low percentage from the field. Same as I saw last year. Three air balls on longer shots. Very tough from 12 feet or so on in. Good defense and rebounds well. Looks like a D-1 three to me. Will have to improve ball handling skills and shooting range though.

Portland did not do a good job of getting the Ferguson kid into the game. He is not overly athletic; but, as sound a post player fundamentally as you can find. The guards did not do a good job of getting him the ball. Bet that changes before they play again.

Lipscomb had some left handed point guard that was very good. A parent said he was a junior. He will play in college at some level also.

All big guys aside. The Lipscomb guards are quite a bit better than Portland's and that was the story of the game.

[Edited by titanman on 1-14-03 10:32P]

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the key factors was Lipscomb's bench play. When you got Anthony Hopkins and Seth Martin coming off your bench you are in good shape. Portland's bench wasn't too good. The left-handed PG is Brent McPherson. Excellent ball handler and shooter. He played a lot towards the end of last year as a sophomore. He hits the big 3's when you need them the most. He is a junior and should be very good next year.

Bighurt,

At your request I have signed up for CoachT +. Waiting for confirmation of payment. Lipscomb is having a very good year, but they have a long way to go still. They need to remain focused on improving. Yes, there is still room for improvement. It was a great team win last night, with 9 players making a contribution.

Cory Brewer is definitely a good player. His ball handling is a little suspect, imo, but he is a smooth shooter. I was a little suprised by his quick leaping ability. He seemed to get a little frustrated with Lipscomb's stall game, as many do.

The rematch in Portland should be a great one. In the meantime, Lipscomb has to take care of business.

Correct, Most players do get frustrated with Lipscomb's so called "stall game" if that is what you all call it. In my opinion, the delay game is what a team uses in the 4th period, not the entire game. My opinion may be useless and worthless to you all, but this so called "Delay game" is what holds Lipscomb back from being state contenders year in year out. Once you get past the district and get behind in a game... you LOSE! Simplily because you run that crazy stuff all year long and have no idea how to play a game a close game and especially fight back brom being behind.

I was at the Portland game last night and Lipscomb has the talent to make some noice this year, but Roller doesn't know how to win the big games. I must admit they run that "delayed offense" to perfection, but HOW BORING they are to watch. I couldn't imagine playing for a coach who wanted to stall every game. Talking about a waste of talent, but if you all don't mind being district champs, but not contenders every year then the stall offense and Roller are a perfect fit for you all.

I'm not looking to fght/agrue with any Lipscomb fan here, just stating my opinion. Fair enough? Good luck to you all, and I have my eye on Stephens:) Already made a call for the guy... he is an excellent D-2, NAIA, future basketball player.

I appreciate your opinion. I refered to it as the "stall game" although I don't know what the official name is. All I know is it is effective in certain situations and has worked well for Lipscomb. Granted, Lipscomb fans get frustrated at times, but then I'm not the coach, so I'll support whatever tactic he feels will work.

I believe they made it past district and into sub-state last year. Someone else may be able to give more stats on prior years and how far Lipacomb has gone, but I do believe they were in the state tournament just a few years ago also. Point is, that is part of Lipscomb basketball. "Motion offense" also has the direct effect of wearing down the opposing team, which I believe was one of the reasons Portland was not able to mount an effective comeback last night.

Coach Dean Smith's four corner offense worked for him. And, since there is no shot clock in TN high school basketball, then teams will continue to use the slow down, stall, 4C or whatever to their advantage.

The rematch should be a good one, but if Lipscomb gets a decent lead, expect them to hold the ball.

wow, i was a little suprised by the score of the lipscome-portland game. i couldn't make it but thought it would be much closer than it was. i knew lipscome was an excellent team an i have seen portland play on a few occasions (mostly whippin up on my macon county tigers) and thought they would give lipscome a better game. i would like to say though, as someone who has college basketball experiance, the brewer kid definately has alot of work to do if he expects to play college basketball! it is a totally different game, his jumping ability and hieght advantage over most high schoolers totally goes out the window once he makes the transition to college. i wish him luck and all the best, but he needs to hit the wieght room and shoot 1000's of jumpers in order to make an impact on whichever team he decides to sign with. the potential talent is similar to another portland star of a couple years back. if his brother jason rogan had been 6'7, u would be watchin him on sunday's. good luck to all the athletes and keep up the good work!

Hey Big Guy... His brother Jason Rogan is playing for the University of Tennessee Chattanooga Mocs program where he is making a major impact as a starter and averaging around 15pts per contest. The Mocs are 13-3 (4-0 in Southern Conference.) Back to Corey... He does have a lot of skills to improve on, but at the same time he has a WHOLE another year of high school basketball to improve them. Let's not forget he is ONLY a JUNIOR. I had the opportunity to play with his brother and I believe Corey will be a better player before it's said and done. It's tough for him and Fergerson (Portland's other big kid) to show how good they really are because of Portland's lack of a true guard. If you have the opportunity to watch Corey play AAU ball it will allow you to understand why the scouts from FL was in the stands at the Lipscomb and other games this year to watch him play. He is a different player when you surround him with talent. If his grades allow him he will be a definite major division one propspect, and I also have a little college experience:) And since this is a Portland-Lipscomb thread- I am still impressed with the Stephens guy from Lipscomb. Is he a Senior? Height? Chances he will continue his college playing days at Lipscomb? He has potential to further his basketball days after DLHS...