Carl Stewart Visits Vandy

GovMan

Thought it was interesting that Carl Stewart--verbal commitment to Auburn--paid a visit to Vanderbilt this past weekend.

Word is, Carl is not wavering on his commitment to Auburn, but had the opportunity to make a visit and wanted to experience what it was like.

I will say this, he might get a better--and quicker--opportunity to play for the 'Dores ... but then again ...it's still Vanderbilt.

GovMan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His opportunities will be few and far between while at Auburn, unless of course there are numerous injuries, which is very possible. Pick your poison. Start and play at a below average school for four years, or play at a good school and maybe start one or possibly two years

It will be tough to find playing time in Auburn's very well stocked backfield for the next couple of years. Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams will only be juniors, and Tre Smith will be a sophomore. All three are great backs, with huge big play potential. As a true freshman, Tre Smith ran all over Alabama's highly touted defense for well over 100 yards. Ronnie was awesome in relief of Cadillac after he got hurt against Florida, and Cadillac(as long as he stays healthy) is one of the top backs in the country. In fact, I've seen several rankings that have Auburn's backfield ranked as the best in the country. In addition to these three guys, Auburn has signed Brandon Jacobs, a juco star who weighs in at over 240 pounds and runs a legitamate 4.4 40 yard dash. Carl is just the icing on the cake. I'm sure Tubberville has thought a lot about moving at least one or two of these 5 outstanding players to fullback to make the most out of all of their talents. Even if Carl is concerned about playing time, I'd much rather be around Auburn with a shot at a national championship next year, than at Vandy, where they might win two or three games next year.

Why go to Auburn and hope for the best. Ricky Upton of Jefferson City went to Penn State instead of going to smaller schools such as Vanderbilt. He figured he would eventually get playing time. His hunch was wrong. He had like 10 carries in his career and will be bagging groceries for a while. Stewart should see the writing on the wall. Go to Vandy 'start' and show your real skills. Because at Auburn, he's just another back. I see the point of you never know at Auburn, but Vandy is still a big Division I school. Hey, at least he'll get a degree from Auburn. But, he could help turn around Vandy quickly.

Have you guys thought that possibly Auburn doesn't plan for all these back to stay full 4 years at Auburn. Possibly they have a plan for the future with this kid. But I agree ther is nothing wrong with surveying your other possibilities. U.T. did the same thing a couple of years ago. What if Jamal Lewis would have stayed. Also Stewart is a player. He may be as good if not better than these guys if given a chance. I am going to see what happens with this situation. Graduating from Penn State I doubt he will be bagging groceries.

[Edited by boorelly on 1-21-03 11:50A]

No one in Southeast can give you an excellent education like Vandy can and still compete in the SEC. The best of both worlds there at Vandy. Although they haven't been that good the past few years, that could always change. Virginia Tech used to rocked by Vandy. Look at them now. No reason Vandy couldn't do the same.

Sure..Auburn isn't as good as UT or Georgia or Florida or Bama...they're better than all of them. Go check out http://espn.go.com/ncf/s/2003/0107/1488663.html and look who the number 4 team is. Look at where the rest of those SEC teams are. Yeah, I realize that this is purely a preseason ranking, but I've seen many other rankings that pick Auburn as the best team of the SEC. These aren't without some sort of factual base. Vandy is definately one of the best academic schools in the country, but Auburn is no academic slouch, and they're definately going to be in the running for at least an SEC title, if not a national title. If a player is good enough, he'll get his shot to play, and it shows confidence on the part of Carl for him to want to go play where there are already several great backs.