Bench press

Justadad

I was just wondering why we all put so much emphasis on the bench press? I understand that the bench is the first thing everyone wants to talk about when they hear weight lifting, but unless you walk around with a bench supporting your back isn't this lift a little overrated. I think we should emphasize the power clean and the parallel squat more in our programs. What do ya'll think?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes squats and Power-cleans are more productive for football players, but bench press can be good too.

1) a player needs some type of upper-body development that involves the largest muscles in the upper body

2) it is a compound movement which means that you will use more than one muscle to do the lift. and doing heavy compound excersises will build size which football players need.

3) it is an ego booster which most kids need, and it generates some excitement in the workout because it is so popular

So, even though bench presses aren't as beneficial as squats or power-cleans to a football player, I wouldn't say that they were over-rated or unnecissary.

When olympic lifting was three lifts including snatch, clean and jerk, and military press (up to 1972) you VERY RARELY heard of a rotator cuff problem. As the bench press has come into vogue, these injuries have become very common. The angle and torque of the bench press is anything but an injury preventor for the shoulder girdle. It is a decent upper body strength movement and nothing more.

I was not saying that the bench press is unnecessary. I understand that it is beneficial to a player's confidence, as well as to his upper body strength. I just think that the lifts that make you support the weight with nothing but your body weight are going to be more beneficial to your total body strength.

crazebear,

Now you got me started ! Most shoulder injuries in football occur from over building the front and side delt while neglecting the rear delt. Anytime you work the chest you should work the back. I'm not saying to work the back as much as the chest, but in order to even things out,you should work the rear delt and lats. These muscles directly relate to shoulder injuries. Truth be known most shoulder injuries occur from underdeveloped rear delt and lat muscles ,most of the time. Think about shoulder injuries,most are caused by the shoulder being forced out of the socket towards the back.

Quick tip: alternating dumbell bench is much better than bar bench, for over all muscle development, in and around the chest/shoulder area.

Vols4me, since olympic lifting involves a lot of pulls it easily keeps the back and rear delts up to par. Many schools I have seen work the bench like crazy and merely go through the motions on cleans and squats. Form on cleans is atrocious and squat depth is usually non-existant. I just think the bench is WAY over-emphasized.

[Edited by bigchief on 2-14-03 12:50P]