Bench press

Justadad

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bench Press is much like the 40 yard time in football: It's bascially an easy way to measure and compare athletes across the board. Personally, I think that the power clean and parallel squat are training specific for football, but with teens having more difficulty conquering the technique of these two lifts, the bench press is more of an accurate measurement of strength.Plus, you never hear the conversation at the health spa go like this, "hey dude, how much you clean?"

Does anyone know the NFL combine record of reps at 225 lbs?

The bench, in my opinion, is a little overrated as far as it's affect on a players performance. But, I do think it gives kids more confidence. More important is the standing bench. We max on the flat bench but just for the weight room board that hangs on the wall. We emphasize the powerclean, squat and bench. But, we only do flat bench once a week and combine the standing bench with it. Think about it, are you ever laying on your back pushing up in football. Practical lifts are more important.

Redbaron, there is no way that 279 is the record at Hendersonville. I was the judge in about 1989 when a defensive back from Hendersonville named Todd Fuqua cleaned 280 in the McGavock Superlift. Surely, you have had a lineman do better than a d-back. I believe he signed with South Carolina, but didn't stay long.

I play for crockett co. and lift with this guy everday his name is jeremy lewis u might know him he holds the record for his wieght class on bench which is 295 or it was last year this year we have hit the wieght room hard and jeremy is now benching 310 as a junior defensive tackle.