Henry Harris or Jamont Gordon?

lajen9

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this time I think that this is a no brainer. Harris does more things to make his TEAM win. For anyone who has seen Gordon play, there is no doubt that he is very talented. It would be interesting to see him play in a system where some coaching was being done. Then this choice would be harder to make.

Harris is the epitome of team player and has no weakness on the court. He could easily score 30+ every night if that was his goal.

Gordon has basketball skills, but needs to refine them to be used in a SOLO sport (wrestling, tennis, golf, track, ...) because TEAM is a foreign term to him

Harris is the total package: super athlete, top student, great person, team leader, basketball smart

Gordon is out of control, not a student, not a leader

FUTURE: HARRIS-ACC/SEC BASKETBALL PLAYER, WITH DEGREE

GORDON-COULDA/SHOULDA/WOULDA PLAYGROUNG LEGEND

Henry is the poster child for a student-athlete... He should have his own movie. A kid who comes from a broken home, lives w/ grandma, sings in the choir, 20+ on ACT as a soph., drops 20+ every night, goes to Stratford (come on yall), A average in the class. I would definitely go see it before Antwan Fisher!

Jamont on the other hand is a thug! Plain as day. Sometimes you gotta call the as you see them. Bad attitude, bad work ethic, bad language, bad social skills, just plain bad. Kids like this have no business being apart of a HS team, because you have no continuity on your club. The best thing Glencliff's coach can do is cut him loose. He thinks he's God and he's not even a deacon.

Henry is the better of the two.

Is Gordon really this bad? I've only seen him play once and I didnt know who I was looking at then but I know Henry is a stud..KUDOS to Harris for making something of himself despite having it "Hard" as alot of people say..I've always told people that just because you dont live in a 2 story house with a paved driveway and both parents to come home to that doesnt make it hard..Alot of times having the life where you get everything you ask for is hard because the "real world" doesnt have that.

But in any case, I was just wondering if Jamont Gordon is really as bad as these post are saying about him because GOMAB ranks him high and if hes this thuggish as a sophmore he wont make it to the beginning of his JR year.

Many times as a coach, we have the task of having to love the unlovely. By cutting him from the team, Jamont just might be in jail with no guidance. The challenge is for his coach to be tough on him. If Jamont quits or removes himself, then he can not blame anyone but himself. The easy thing to do is get rid of problem children. Where does Jamont come from? A broken home? No father around? I don't know him, but I know that we give up on problem children way too soon because we, as coaches think we shouldn't have to "put-up" with kids. Sometimes there is no answer for certain situations. What if someone showed him tough-love and he came around? Our whole society wants the quick-fix and label kids as trouble-makers, but not many will put forth a solution. I've worked with troubled-kids in AAU and other aspects. Some change, and some don't. I've witnessed some go to jail because they won't listen. But they will never say that no one tried to help them. I will leave you with a saying that someone dear to me said a long time ago:

"Life is a 'two-part' task: 1)Learning what is taught to us, whether it is by listening or from our mistakes. 2)Teaching what we have learned to the next generation."

[Edited by Stokomo on 4-22-03 6:40P]

Hey Man, GREAT POST!! You are exactly right, coaches give up on way too many kids just because they may come with a little baggage but isnt that why we coach? To help kids become better people and hopefully make a difference in someones life? In any case, I hope if Jamont Gordon is as bad as he is label that someone will take the time to help him and get his grades in line because a big time talent like that should have the hard decision of should he go to UK or should he attend Duke when its his Senior season, not how much he should sell a bag of weed for.

Hey all are good posts. I agree with henry and his all-around game.

But you guys are waaaay to harsh on Jamont. I have seen him play. He reminds me a lot of Mario at antioch. The guy tries to get his teammates involved but they just aren't on his level. Henry has more patience with his teammates.

But lets be real Jamont is a scorer(an anthony peeler clone, lefty who is real aggressive). The knocks on his character are a little extreme. He is confident(what great player isn't). But I found him to be respectful and very attentive to his coach. He is working hard in the classroom. He just has to work extremely hard. He is not a thug, just a typical hip-hop teen. I just had to speak up for Jamont. He has star potential so don't count him out yet!