Blount Co. Football

BillBlunt

Nine Inch Nails, when someone else in the county can match our skills then you can start talking. Frankly I am tired of the county schools whining because they don't get the respect from the Daily Times newspaper and how Maryville gets all the good coverage on the tele and all that. Well when you're good and when you wil 3 in a row then maybe you'll be on the front page more often and maybe your highlight reel will be a little longer than just a scroll through score! Ohh yea...and I need to go vist the boys up on Broadway...gettin a little shaggy! :blink::blink:

Ohh yea and by the way NIN, I just want to say that, we can toot our own horns and crow a little bit because we've proven in 90 percent of the sports that we're the best in the county! We have earned the right to talk smack because we beat you on the field and we worked hard to do that, we have sweated for those bragging rights. Now you can shut up and try to produce some real talent over there in the county schools, or you can keep whinning about us beating the snot outta you every time. Oh yea and while you're at it, you guys can go on being hypocritical! :angry:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No NIN we "Maryvillians" can't control Blount County elected officials. So that's why we choose to pay about twice the amount in taxes (Blount County and Maryville City) that Blount County residents do. However looking at the results, I think it's been money well spent both in the classroom and in athletics. Go Rebs.

Sorry all, but when one thinks of Blount County Football, one thinks the home of the champs. Maryville is the reason for this thought process. I enjoy Blount County Football but must take issue with an above comment referring to the Daily Times News Paper. In my view the paper is the worst in the state to my knowledge for high school sports. Maryville has won 3 back to back State Championships and the program gets sorry coverage at best. One would think a reporter would attend the SC game and get some pictures at least. I, like many in Maryville, no longer buy this hometown rag. The Knoxville paper is much better for coverage in my view. Most of the sports coverage’s is cut and pasted from the AP or UPI and NASCAR is bigger than HS Football to the sports staff at the times. The paper refuses to print anything but marginal stories on all the local teams and during the season and Thursday is the only day one can read a short story about the weeks match-ups. Morristown, Elizabethton, Greenville and Bristol all have stellar coverage of their local teams compared to the daily times. It also seems to me the paper is byssi to a few players whose dads have cash. This is the biggest shame and insult to Blount County High School Sports and football in general. My view is this board is the best place to get info on Blount County Football.

Guest NineInchNails

Boys, I hate to burst your bubbles, but NASCAR is actually the fastest growing and most popular sport in the country, especially Blount County. Even the always Pro-Maryville Daily Times can see that. 10,000 people may show up to a Maryville/Alcoa game, but where are the other 40,000 people in the county? I hope you Maryvillians remember who started that winning tradition for Blount County...Everett, Walland, Townsend, Alcoa, Porter (to name a few) used to OWN Maryville when they were in the "Red Elephant" days, in every sport...especially FOOTBALL. All I'm saying is that it's no secret around the county that the county's media outlet (The Daily Times) feels pressure from YOUR councilmen/alumni to promote and glamourize Maryville athletics, to draw attention to the Webb-esque school in the county and divert attention away from the "redneck" county schools and the other city school with a bunch of "thugs".

Well NIN that "bursting bubbles" goes both ways. Let's look at the all-time series records in "especially FOOTBALL" for those teams you mentioned. Here are the all-time records for those football series against MHS.

1. Everett was 16-29-4 against MHS. Not bad, but winning almost 33% of the time is not "owning" anybody, at least to anybody I know.

2. Walland was 0-5-0 all-time against MHS. Who "owned" who?

3. Townsend was 1-9-2. Again your argument holds no water.

4. Alcoa is 21-50-3. A winner 28% of the time.

5. Porter 5-17-2. The Panthers won almost 21% of the time.

That comes out to 43 wins for the teams you mentioned. 110 losses for your teams against MHS. There were 9 ties. That gives your county teams wins 26% of the time. My question again is, Who "owns" or "owned" who?

Maybe you can open up a Nascar Cafe for those other 40,000. Actually I think there are more like 100,000. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Some interesting views expressed folks. My post doesn't necessarily involve Blount Co. Football, but I think it goes along with the "spirit" of what we're discussing.

Put yourself in my shoes. I've got a daughter who'll be entering the 9th grade. If it sounds like I'm a proud dad and bragging, I am, but that's not the purpose of this post. The purpose is just to illustrate the position a lot of us "county" folks find ourselves in.

My daughter is an incredible student. She took the ACT test as a 7th grader (the standard ACT that many high school students take) and scored a 24 overall. This year at her 8th grade graduation, she received every academic award given out except for one (she was a close second in science). She's also a promising basketball player. She's 5'11" and still growing, has a pretty decent shot, and some great post moves. She may or may not end up being a good high school basketball player, but I'm certain she will continue to excel in the classroom.

Now, stay with me. I'm a product of the county schools. Bungalow, Friendsville, and William Blount. I live in the county. I'm involved in the athletic department at WB. THAT'S WHERE MY HEART IS. And yet, I open up the paper recently and see that our "school board" has decided to cut teaching positions in our already overcrowded school. My daughter's interested in either law or medicine and guess what? No more Latin 3 or Latin 4 will be offered. Upper grade "honors classes" and "college prep" classes will most likely be cut. Our principal's pay has been cut ... what a morale booster that must be for her.

My wife and I, as much as we love WB, the coaches, many members of the administration ... have to ask ourselves, "Should we look for a home in the city limits and get our daugher enrolled at Maryville?" What is in HER BEST INTEREST.

I'm rambling, but let me conclude by saying, "Not all of us county people are whiners or hypocrites or jealous of Maryville or hate Maryville." We want the same type of opportunities for our kids in the county system. But it's not happening, so we must consider alternatives.

GovMan I can certainly see your point and it is well taken. The system has let you down. Or at least it appears to be on the verge of letting your daughter down. I would certainly do what is best for her whatever that may be. NIN I am still trying to get a bead on what axe you have to grind other than you just hate maryville which is usually the case. Successful teams and athletes always get a lot of media coverage. Cait Mcmahan of Heritage was on the front page of the sports today complete with a picture for basketball and it is the middle of the summer. And she deserves all the attention she is getting. If you ran a newspaper and had a home town team win three straight titles would you use it to your best advantage or give them moderate coverage to be fair? And regardless the media had nothing to do with winning those state championships.

Guest NineInchNails

Starsnbars, I'm trying to hurry up and catch you while you're still at work. Those stats you mentioned were only in football. And who knows if they're correct, nobody's got time to go down to the library to look that crap up. I was talking about all sports, everything from football to girl's basketball. And in my honest opinion, Maryville should have a better winning percentage than that. Maryville's winning percentage is lower than their population advantage over all of those schools you mentioned. It's that sort of attitude that gets you guys in trouble a lot, you've got a constant target from the other "mere peasants" in the county.

Here is your quote again NIN, "I hope you Maryvillians remember who started that winning tradition for Blount County...Everett, Walland, Townsend, Alcoa, Porter, (to name a few) used to OWN Maryville when they were in the "Red Elephant" days, in every sport...especially FOOTBALL." That's what you said, "especially FOOTBALL."

NIN you should know that during the "Red Elephant" days that Everett had by far the largest school in Blount County. Maryville and Alcoa were basically the same size. Both MHS and AHS were in the same classification until 1977. But for the sake of your argument, I'll throw out Walland, Townsend and Porter, and I will count only AHS wins prior to '77 and Everett until closure also in 1977. Everett (16-29-4) and Alcoa (14-31-3, prior to '77) have 30 wins, 60 losses, and 7 ties against MHS. So even against equal or in Everett's case a larger student population, MHS lost to those teams only 31% of the time.

NIN unlike your facts, mine are accurate. So this theory "bubble" of your's puts a large "target" on your back. Simply because it's not correct. Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Maryville has the richest tradition in all of blount county football, maybe even tennessee football, and once again this year we are gonna be rollin. Alex Rouse is back, Mcord is still around and we have a great young quarterback who is only gonna get better and i know for darn sure that wb alcoa or heritage are gonna lose to us!!!!!!!!!

Guest NineInchNails

There weren't classifications back then! And by the way, Maryville and Alcoa were not "basically the same size" because Alcoa's black kids still played at Hall High School, and I'm not talking about a few (i.e. David Davis, Big Al, etc). So go back to the library and get your facts straight. Everett was competing for state championships when Maryville High School was just a twinkle in their momma's eye.

Edited by NineInchNails

There weren't classifications back then! And by the way, Maryville and Alcoa were not "basically the same size" because Alcoa's black kids still played at Hall High School, and I'm not talking about a few (i.e. David Davis, Big Al, etc). So go back to the library and get your facts straight. Everett was competing for state championships when Maryville High School was just a twinkle in their momma's eye.

In the fall of 1967 Maryville beat Alcoa and Senior Albert Davis 20-19 at Maryville. I don't have to go to a library. I was there. Get your facts (or assumptions straight).