MBA 17, Trinity 13

WesVLT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MBA put forth a "B+/A-" performance tonight. A great effort and a great win, but still lots of improvement to be made. It should have been a two-TD game, at least.

FWIW, Bowers led MBA to "national prominence", particularly with the win over Bolles in '99. Bolles would've beaten this Trinity team by 3-4 TDs. Rutledge almost blew it with that horrible call on 4th and goal at the Trinity 2, with 2:30 left. You absolutely HAVE to go for it there. If you don't get it, Trinity has to go 98 yards...and still needs two scores to win. To top that off, MBA went into a prevent and let Brohm sit back and pick them apart for 80 yards, to cut it to 17-13. Bad coaching, but they escaped.

What I meant was that it was a return to prominence, certainly not an initiation. And I agree that it could've been worse -- the way MBA started I thought it was going to be a blowout. All in all, they were very strong, though, especially for the first game. I look for them to absolutely hand it to Lavergne.

This will certainly be a huge blow to tha rocks. Next week these guys travel to Cincinnati to face another national power (St. Xavier, a team that beat Brentwood Academy last year) and they will face a local power (DuPont Manual) next week. After this loss, I don't think that this will be the year for Trinity football.

The thing that bothers me is that the state of Tennessee gets absolutely no respect nationally in any of the polls. The MBA's and BA's of our state go out every year and beat these big "national powerhouses", yet get no respect. I heard all year on this poll how Trinity was going to destroy MBA. I said it then and I will say it now that MBA is a heck of a team. I said they would win this game since it was scheduled. They didn't suprise me. I saw how they killed BA in the state championship last year, and BA is my team. If MBA gets a running game, they will be unstoppable. MBA's defense is very strong to only be the 1st game of the season. Hats off to MBA. Trinity is a good team for Kentucky. Tennessee football is good, despite how little respect we get. I was at this game, and I thought MBA was a 3-4 touchdown better team. MBA would beat Trinity 8 out of 10 games. ;)

Brohm certainly didn't have a "horrible" game. He just doesn't have a whole lot of help on the offensive side. He was running for his life all night. I would say almost all of his big gainers came off plays where he was scrambling and either threw it up for grabs or made a really nice play to find an open guy.