Mo-Town West-Maryville

STARSNBARS

Morristown West needs to be ashamed. Not of the team but by the lack of play calling by the coach. When he should use speed to the outside, he runs up the middle. When he should run the fullback on 3rd and 1, he tries an option. What is wrong with this picture. West has probable on of the most talented teams around, but the coach fails to use it. I hope he can learn from his mistakes. If not, this is going to be a long season.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok first off, i want to say that i am extremely excitied about beating Mo West, and second, like rebelron and stars, like just because the offense had a few turnovers on the option doesnt mean that its a terrible play. I dont think Maryville will ever get rid of the option especially with the kind of tallent that rouse has running the ball. If you take the option away, what is the poor kid going to do other than reciever.

So what the offense had a bad showing. Who cares, we got a W. thats all that matters right now. I believe that this game will definatly motivate Maryville and GQ to kind of pick of the pace and show some leadership where it is needed. I believe this game was about the best thing that could of happened to us at this point in the season because it showed the players that they arent invincible and teams arent going to lay down just because we have those red and black jerseys.

Finnaly, I dont think you can say enough about this Maryville defense. Most people didnt know this, but when Hodge came out of the game, he came out because he had a broken nose. The next series, he went right back in and tore Mo West's O line up. That shows heart and that he is one heck of a player. Also Ryan Headrick suffered a high ankle sprain but still went back in also. Maryville may not have the biggest or fastest players in the state or even east tennessee, but one thing they do have is heart.

What is Coach Woods smoking??? And maybe if we fans had some of it we could understand his play calling. It is very obvious to this fan that the players he plays should be using different options than they are given. Rucker & Shockley are the powerhouses which need to be ran in the middle. Then you've got Loveless and James that should be going on the outside because of their speed. Instead, he has Rucker running and James and Loveless going up the middle. James and Loveless have the spead and Rucker and Shockley have the push!!! If I can see that, why can't the coach. He also played alot of inexperienced Sophomores against Maryville. Give your Sophomores experience in blowout games like against Cocke Co. We can't keep expecting "Pee Wee", Emmanuel, and Caleb to keep carrying the games. And as far as Minnich, how many interceptions does he have to throw before Woods wakes up? If Minnich likes carrying so much, let him be a running back. We need someone who is not so nervous and get the ball where it needs to go. Its obvious again to everyone but Coach Woods that Minnich needs more experience and practice passing the ball. Put him up against West's mighty defense and he'll learn fast. The fans are beginning to question whether or not Woods wants a win. Come on Coach, give us a reason to believe in you again. B)

In response to that last post, I must disagree. As a Maryville fan I was impressed with that Minnick kid. Despite that interception at the end - which was made under a lot of pressure considering they were down by 8 at the time with very little time remaining - he did a good job getting the ball to his receivers, and making plays out of nothing. He got out of the grasps of our DL men too often. He threw the ball quick to avoid being sacked.

This was the best quarterback I saw Maryville play against since that kid at Carter High in Week 0. He made plays against a very tough defense.

Since we are on the subject of quarterbacking, I think Cade does throw a little too flat. I asked Cade a couple of weeks ago if he thought the two-quarterback system threw the rhythm off at all, and he said no. But he hesistated before saying it, which told me a lot. I really like Alex Rouse, but if he wants to help his team out offensively he needs to stay over at receiver, or come in at running back sometimes. Leave Cade at QB. Scott Wilks did it, and Nick Giles took over, and they took a 0-4 team to the state championship. If Alex Rouse stays at receiver and Cade can get his rhythm going, just imagine where our offense will be.

NO more option. If they play another option play and there is another fumble, I just may have to walk up to Coach Quarles after the game and tell him directly that I throughly loathe the entire concept of it! :D

Congratulations to Morristown West on a great effort. I think Coach Quarles summed it up best on the sports tonight when he said "we are not as good as we think we are, and the players need to come back to reality". Six turnovers at mid season are a real cause for concern. But it is good to be tested by a good team like this and we will be again next week.

I do not think McCord or Byner ran the ball that well, but he MW D was very tough at times. Byner looked wore out. McCord should not been used for the option, it has not worked all season. I would have substituted more and give Tallent the ball some. Maryville won a hard fought contest but will not go to deep in the post season if the offence does not start to click.

Well posted and stated by GQ. What a mess. This offence needs some work and or changes. 5 games into the season and very little worked. Given Morr West should hold thier heads very high as they were huge defensivly. Many had said MW had a great D, and I was one that had to see it to believe it. MW proved it. Maryville did not help giving up the ball so many times. Maryville again proved they have a great never say fold defence. Hodge and Smith were big on the ends. The LB's were slow to plug the middle holes but presued very well. We did get banged up some. The secondary came to the rescue a few to many times for this fan.

What is Coach Woods smoking??? And maybe if we fans had some of it we could understand his play calling. It is very obvious to this fan that the players he plays should be using different options than they are given. Rucker & Shockley are the powerhouses which need to be ran in the middle. Then you've got Loveless and James that should be going on the outside because of their speed. Instead, he has Rucker running and James and Loveless going up the middle. James and Loveless have the spead and Rucker and Shockley have the push!!! If I can see that, why can't the coach. He also played alot of inexperienced Sophomores against Maryville. Give your Sophomores experience in blowout games like against Cocke Co. We can't keep expecting "Pee Wee", Emmanuel, and Caleb to keep carrying the games. And as far as Minnich, how many interceptions does he have to throw before Woods wakes up? If Minnich likes carrying so much, let him be a running back. We need someone who is not so nervous and get the ball where it needs to go. Its obvious again to everyone but Coach Woods that Minnich needs more experience and practice passing the ball. Put him up against West's mighty defense and he'll learn fast. The fans are beginning to question whether or not Woods wants a win. Come on Coach, give us a reason to believe in you again. :D

Footballgirl I can assure you that Coach Woods and his staff "want a win."

"Ok first off, i want to say that i am extremely excitied about beating Mo West, and second, like rebelron and stars, like just because the offense had a few turnovers on the option doesnt mean that its a terrible play. I dont think Maryville will ever get rid of the option especially with the kind of tallent that rouse has running the ball. If you take the option away, what is the poor kid going to do other than reciever. "

i'm sorry crkjon , i have to disagree with you here , the team is what's important , not one kids feelings . the option is flat out killing us !!! i bet at least 80% of our turnovers for the whole season are from the option package . cade thompson is a proven winner and a very reliable , accurate qb . it hurts cade's timing every time he goes out . the cadence of the snap count , the timing for the recievers ,the way the ball is delivered to the recievers , the placement of the pocket for the linemans blocking , all of this is different every time you change a QB . i think cade's timing and accuracy would improve if he wasn't coming out every third series or so . ok , i feel better now , SCRAP THE OPTION !!!!!!! hehe , all that said , i have complete confidence in coach QUARLES !! he is a proven winner and i'm sure he knows more about football than any of us old has been armchair coaches !! hahaha . btw , where was tyler gaskin , the reciever, at last night ??? what has happened to using chris mccord as a reciever out of the backfield also ??? ok i'll stop . a win is a win .

Edited by pepvol

Footballgirl I can assure you that Coach Woods and his staff "want a win."

Well, that may be the case, but Coach Woods needs to use the talented players he has in the right place. Trust me......I am not the only one who is questioning what he is doing. We have some awesomely gifted players who's strength's are not being used correctly.