William Blount vs Maryville

REBELRON

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If everything should fall into place for the Govs, they have a shot. I think WB has to play smart, and let the offense be the defense. If the WB O line can beat the Maryville D line, and have long drives that result in points, then maybe. The worst thing that could happen for WB would be to get behind by a couple of TDs early. The WB defense will have to play smart and make Maryville work for everything they get. No big plays. WB is very physical. If they can hang around, it could be interesting. WB is going to have to find a kicker. When I saw them play Central, it was horrible. Good luck to the Govs.

But my guess is 28-21 Maryville.

GovMan Posted on Sep 21 - 09:06 PM

Here's an interesting bone to throw out to some of you Maryville faithful ...

This week's game, for William Blount, is absolutely their biggest county rivalry game (even though it's not a regional game.) People can say what they want, but truth be known, the Gov's would rather beat Maryville than beat anyone.

On the other hand, I'm guessing Maryville would still consider Alcoa to be their biggest county rivalry. And understandably so, with the long tradition.

But do you think, if William Blount could start competing more, maybe knock the Rebs off a few times in the next years, that Maryville's focus could ever shift to the

William Blount game being the "big" inter-county game for them?

Just something to think about and to get this thread back up close to the top

Govman , i think you make a valid point , if WILLIAM BLOUNT were to knock us off a few times and we were to continue to dominate ALCOA (hehe , that will get some riled up !! ) , there could be a slight shift in the importance placed in the MARYVILLE vs WILLIAM BLOUNT series . look no further than the TENNESSEE vs ALABAMA compared to the TENNESSEE vs FLORIDA series . it could happen . it would take an awfully lot to happen to displace ALCOA as the main rival though . this rivalry goes way , way back .

I think WB has a real shot at winning this game but they will have to be mistake free and score on defense. WB is much improved this year but will not be able to blow the Maryville D line out of the way. I think Maryville's biggest weakness on the D this year has been the LB corp. These guys are not filling the holes or knocking anyone down. This will favor the Govs for 5-7 yard gains. I do not think the Gov's will be able to throw on the Rebs. I would hope Maryville's offence gets it going this week. After 5 games GQ generally has things clicking, but not this year. Chris was not sharp, AB looked like he was wore out and we never tried to throw to Gaskin more than few times. Cade is not progressing as fast as he did last year and is still making to many rookie mistakes. He has 20 games under his belt; all wins but is not being smart with the ball. Rouse should stay at WR. Until GQ gets a better running combo I would can the option. I think Maryville will win but if the O does not click it could be close or an upset. The gov faithful hate Maryville and I expect it to be very hostile this year.

If you can't beat 'em, I guess you join 'em (Jason Phillips with WB) <_<

I can see that his blood obviously doesn't run all that red and black... lol.

Ah well, in the end it's determination, smarts, good coaching, experience, talent, teamwork, speed, and heart that will win games, and Maryville still has all these last I checked.

Philster043 Posted on Sep 22 - 07:00 AM

If you can't beat 'em, I guess you join 'em (Jason Phillips with WB) 

I can see that his blood obviously doesn't run all that red and black... lol.

Ah well, in the end it's determination, smarts, good coaching, experience, talent, teamwork, speed, and heart that will win games, and Maryville still has all these last I checked.

ouch !! i bet that one hurt !! i can assure you , his loyalties and blood still lie with the red and black !! if not , i may have to spill a little of that blood !!!!!! hehehe !! we're cutting jason some slack because we hope eventually he'll come back home !!!!!!!!!! <_<

There's no question that you have to consider Blount an underdog. But they do go in to this game as successful at this point of the season as they've ever been. Even though they lost first game to Central, they played a great second half against the Bobcats--actually outscoring them in the second half. They beat Soddy Daisy down there, which is never easy. They took care of Alcoa, and they did what they had to do to pull out a win against Ooltewah.

I don't think the Gov's offense has had a complete game all season. They show flashes of what they are capable of, but they don't usually sustain it for an entire game. They're stacked with good runners and they have a decent o line. The passing game is not great, but they do have some weapons. The Thomas kid has caught a few long passes and they're dangerous when they can get it out to Osborne in the flats.

In my opinion, for WB to have a chance, they have to figure out somehow to keep Maryville from killing them with the "fade" to Gaskin. If Cade, or Alex, is just able to loft it up and let Gaskin go up and get it ... and we can't figure out how to defend it, it will be a long night.

If Maryville decides to run some option, they would do well to figure out what side of the line #14 (Grubb) is on for WB and go the opposite way. He (Grubb) is playing incredible on defense, plus he's a huge threat on offense running the ball. Another young player that is drawing some attention for WB is sophomore linebacker Hamilton Borden. He's gonna be a great one.

Blount has missed more extra points than they've made this year. It looks like freshman Aaron Tussey has settled into the kicker's position. He's got a strong leg but is still working on accuracy. Not necessarily this game, but I fear that WB will lose a game on a missed p.a.t. before the year's over. Hope not. I really think Tussey, before it's over, will be the best kicker Blount has ever had, but it's tough somtimes doing it as a freshman.

As far as Jason Phillips. I realize that you all are just joking (at least I hope you are) but I would hope that no one would give him a hard time about helping at WB. He loves football and he loves coaching and he is destined to be a great, great coach. In the mold of a George Quarles if you ask me. I'm sure he still loves Maryville, and rightfully so, but I bet you that this Friday night, he'll be doing everything in his power to help the Govs get the upset. And that's how it should be. In the end, its about helping kids to be the best they can be, regardless of what colors you wear.

I look forward to a great football atmoshpere Friday night. I hope our William Blount fans will carry themselves with dignity and class, regardless of the outcome. I think at any school, you've always got a few "losers" that make butts out of themselves and give their school a black eye, but hopefully, the good people who support WB will override the bad.