Maryville Expansion

redbyrd84

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the minimum for a 5A school 1348 students? If that is the case, a couple of more schools could be joining Maryville in 5A. I have heard that Knox West has 1360 kids and Central 1350. Does a school have to stay above the minimum for a couple of years, or do they automatically get moved up the next year? I think that with the way Knox Co and the surrounding area is growing, a few more schools in the next few years will be moving up.

As far as football, Maryville could have beat anyone in the state the last four years on most nights, Class 5 or whatever. For some to think otherwise is foolish.

I think that is foolish to say. I have seen teams like the Ingle Martin MBA team or the 2000 Red Bank team (not the 4a Red Bank team that Maryville played that lost everyone but Gerald Riggs) that would beat you. Private schools are all pretty tough. On an up year 5A will beat 4A. Lately, I will agree 4A has been stronger when comparing in the top 1 or 2 teams

I think that is foolish to say. I have seen teams like the Ingle Martin MBA team or the 2000 Red Bank team (not the 4a Red Bank team that Maryville played that lost everyone but Gerald Riggs) that would beat you. Private schools are all pretty tough. On an up year 5A will beat 4A. Lately, I will agree 4A has been stronger when comparing in the top 1 or 2 teams

I agree bud, what I said or meant was on a "Given night". I was with you and you brought Riggs. Riggs is nothing special. He may have run past a few weak teams in HS but, I said then and I am still saying Riggs will never be effective at UT, even if he could do college class work. Being the son of a great player does nothing but get you there, you got to preform to stay there. He is simply not getting it done and did not make Red Bank anything special which Maryville proved in the play-offs a few years ago. Private schools do not count, in the public school debate.

I agree that there will not be another high school in Maryville in the foreseeable future. The majority of people just don't want that to happen. They will buy or condemn property for expansion. I hear they are looking at building a freshman wing next. Eventually we could see a wing for each grade. Maybe four small schools in one.

We played Brentwood Academy in 1976.

I believe MHS will be 5A in 2005. Go Rebs.

Get well Chuck Prugh!!!!!!

As a DB fan I think it would be great if Maryville moved to 5A. You can count the 5A teams in East Tn. on one hand that are good year in and year out. Adding Maryville would make one more much needed quality oppenent. This only helps you when you get into the playoffs. At DB they can only play 2 or 3 good teams in Reg. season without going all the way to Nashville.

What happened to the talk about another high school around Carpenter's? that was going on when I lived there a couple of years ago, but haven't heard anything new.

A new county high school at Carpenter's is still on the drawing board, however, with the budgetary problems we are now facing, the projected completion date is most likely several years in the future.