Running up the score

jaguarfan

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another perspective....

A group of kids start playing ball in junior high or earlier. They practice, practice, practice...countless summer hours in the weight room, give up family vacations and nights out with friends because of their commitment to their game. Their coach hones them into a finely tuned machine. Then, their senior year they sit the bench because their opponents have not made the same sacrifices and are not as good.

Seems to me something is wrong with that picture...you practice these kids to death, and then won't let them play because they are too good.

You have got a good point there. I have never realy thought of that. Most of those seniors will never get to play a game of football again after that last Friday night. How would the rest of you feel if you were in the seniors shoes?

Another perspective....

A  group of kids start playing ball in junior high or earlier.  They practice, practice, practice...countless summer hours in the weight room, give up family vacations and nights out with friends because of their commitment to their game.  Their coach hones them into a finely tuned machine.  Then, their senior year they sit the bench because their opponents have not made the same sacrifices and are not as good. 

Seems to me something is wrong with that picture...you practice these kids to death, and then won't let them play because they are too good.

You have got a good point there. I have never realy thought of that. Most of those seniors will never get to play a game of football again after that last Friday night. How would the rest of you feel if you were in the seniors shoes?

Odds are that group of seniors, got to play in a quality program for many years. I would say most of the time they also played in the 4th quarter when they were younger. That is how you build a program and not a year. Not only that respecting others and showing class and humility are life lessons, which by the way are more important than football

Another perspective....

A  group of kids start playing ball in junior high or earlier.  They practice, practice, practice...countless summer hours in the weight room, give up family vacations and nights out with friends because of their commitment to their game.  Their coach hones them into a finely tuned machine.  Then, their senior year they sit the bench because their opponents have not made the same sacrifices and are not as good. 

Not only that respecting others and showing class and humility are life lessons

Other important life lessons are sacrifice and hard work. Those boys who worked hard and sacrificed to get where they are deserve to play more than a quarter or two their senior year.

The folks on the short end of that stick can learn one of two lessons.

Lesson 1....Work hard and enjoy the good life.

Lesson 2....Sit back and do nothing, and society will take care of you with federal programs for those not willing to work hard. As a matter of fact, society won't let those who do work hard get too far ahead of those who don't work hard. We want to keep everybody about equal. Sounds like a dangerous lesson to me.

If a team is good enough to be blowing everybody away those seniors are in the playoffs. Its not worth getting hurt at that point. I know when my son was a Freshman he got to play the last couple of minutes of most games and was thrilled to be the only Freshman to score a touchdown in a Varsity game that year.

If you have a big lead and do pull your starters, then do you tell you B-Team not to try and score? When they execute well and score, then everyone starts that "they are trying to run up the score again". Some people need to see the facts, some 2nd and 3rd strings can beat many varsity teams.

If a team continues to play starters in a game that is obviously out of hand, then I would consider that running up the score. However, I have seen games where the team that is winning starts playing JV and even freshman, and continue to score. I do not think it is fair to ask young players to go in there and not try to score. If the losing team can't stop them, then it is not running up the score. The other team is just not very good. I know that it can be a hard pill to swallow, but all teams are going to have their down years where they might have to experience this. You have to let the young guys play and get the chance to show what they can do.

When a victory is pretty well assured or the game gets out of hand, "Generally" both teams start pulling their starters about the same time. Their are exceptions of course but this is what I usually see. Then its like a new ball game for those 2nd stringers to see who can score on who.