Running up the score

jaguarfan

jabbo,

I agree with that. You should know when your beaten and get your young guys a chance, got nothing to prove by running your starters to death risking further injury/harm. Having been apart of many tail kickings, both giving and recieving, its quite embarassing to be a part of the losing end of a killing, playing against freshman.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when you have class you win with dignity and not purposely try to annihilate your opponent.

Amen!

Also formerqb's remark about "filtering" is the perfect means of winning with dignity. This method actually gives backups who enter while some starters are still in the game a chance to see that "winning look" in their leaders' eyes. It's contagious.

But the thought of waiting until the already obviously overmatched team substitutes first; that's hard to rationalize.

Edited by krichunaka

In my humble opinion it all comes down to intent. Back in the early 80s:

A 6-0 team scored on us with :35 to go and led by three. We then threw an interception and they ran it back to our two, called time out, scored on the game's last play, called time out again leading by 9, and went for two. The game was only an eleven point spread but that is running up the score. I told their coach after that game that he did not have the class to win another game and they didn't. If I saw him again today I would still have no use for him.

krichunaka,

Totally correct. Thats how I would do it and im my opinion why Sturdivant at Bruceton (aside from this year) is legendary.

CoachT,

You are right, thats excessive and very unclassy. I've also seen teams put they first string back in with less than 2 minutes left to keep the shut out while up 42-0. Onside kicking to score another time when the game is out of control etc, etc.

I do think its ok though to get as much points in the first half as possible within reason. If its 42-0 and your winning, and want to work on your 2 minute drill before halftime, or get your field goal kicker some work, thats fine. But I wouldnt do that in the final two minutes of the second half.

That GT/Cumberland score is true, i saw it in today's Tennessean. Cumberland didn't gain any more than -2 yards on a play and had 10 turnovers. GT scored on every offensive play they ran.

A coach who keeps his starters in any longer than needed to secure a victory is risking losing a starter for nothing and letting his 2nd string get some experience. Remember those 2nd stringers are only one injury away from starting. Besides what does it prove, the other team certainly pulled their starters. As far as conditioning thats called practice.

Another perspective....

A group of kids start playing ball in junior high or earlier. They practice, practice, practice...countless summer hours in the weight room, give up family vacations and nights out with friends because of their commitment to their game. Their coach hones them into a finely tuned machine. Then, their senior year they sit the bench because their opponents have not made the same sacrifices and are not as good.

Seems to me something is wrong with that picture...you practice these kids to death, and then won't let them play because they are too good.

Once you reach the 4th QUARTER and you have the game secure (four TD's or more), "call the DOGS off" and let the third string play a quarter on Friday night to prepare for the next season. You risk getting a starter injured when you leave them in too long and it is meaningless by that point anyway. I've been on both sides of these type games and unless it is very early in the season when your trying to work through your scheme, it just doesn't make much sense to play your 1st string (except on special teams) beyond a 40-50 point spread.