• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOW ABOUT THIS!

1813 OHAU BOWL

OHIO STATE-255

UTAH-0

Okay... American football didn't even exist back then, much less bowl games! :D

That was the year that the first pineapple plants were introduced to Hawaii from Spain and just three years after King Kamehameha the Great united all the Hawaiian islands into one kingdom.

Would have been a LONG ride (sail) home for Utah...for that matter, a long one for OSU, also.

running up the score defined: THE GAME OF THE CENTURY 10/7/1916

Georgia Tech-222

Cumberland-0

In today's TENNESSEAN

You know who was Georgia Tech's coach for this game???

That's right....John Heisman. You know why he decided to continue to womp on Cumberland?

Because Cumberland's Baseball team had beaten Tech's 16-o in the Spring 1915. And Heisman was also Tech's Baseball Coach.

Just a few cool facts.

Running up the score is when you leave your starters in all game while they are winning by a big margin.

George Quarles will never run it up. Maryville will never beat anyone 81-0 as long as George Quarles is the coach.He is way too classy. Maryville could have beat several teams like that in 2001 and 2002. If Maryville is ahead 35-0 at the half the starters will likely not play the 2nd half. Quarles will let every player on the roster play when Maryville is winning big. He will substitute freely even if that means Maryville loses their shutout. Maryville would have shut out Powell last week if Quarles left his starters in. Powell left theirs in the game and scored a TD late vs Maryville reserves.

These kids that have stepped up for Maryville this year after Maryville lost so many starters wouldn't have been near as good if they were sitting on the sideline all year. Those guys got plenty of playing time last season because of the blowouts.

I agree that Coach Quarles is a class act. Super nice guy. I still maintain that even if he DID want to run it up, I say fine with me. There is nothing in the rulebook that prohibits scoring, even when the game is under control. Since when did football become about decorum, protocol and manners? I say those who have their feelings hurt by an anal bludgeoning are slinky-spined whiners who want to bring others down instead of lift themselves up.

But this week was the anniversiry of the GA Tech vs Cumberland Game 222-0 and that isn't made up! The article in the paper said that Cumberland started their football program over again about 5 years ago and they called GA Tech this year asking to get put on their schedule. They said they want a Rematch! Tech laughed and said sorry!

I tend to agree with the idea of "too bad...get better" whether you have a single A program or a 5A program each coach has the ability to "Make" a football team! Race doesn't matter, Economics doesn't matter and to a certain extent there are Single A teams that can beat 5A teams so maybe even population doesn't matter.

Coaching is the single biggest determining factor in one team having a better team than another. If a coach has worked his team so hard that they are far superior to another team than maybe kids learn when they get whipped badly that if I work in life as hard as these guys have worked to prepare to whip us, I will succeed in life!

You shouldn't look upon a lopsided loss as "pouring it on" But more that "we were under prepared and they were over prepared" and as a wake up call to work harder. Don't get mad ...get even!

To those of you who believe "too bad....get better", it is obvious that your team is usually on the winning side. To the ones that believe that any coach can make a football team, there is this little thing called TALENT that is needed. Many schools have to dress everyone that comes out for the team, while others have the luxury of picking through alot of talented players. There are alot of factors that lead to a blowout. But that is not the topic, running up the score is.

To leave your starters in the game when the win is secure is inviting the other team, the ones getting embarrassed, to take a cheap shot at your starters, and injurying them. You say, "That is not very sportsman like," they feel the same way about you running up the score. I am not saying that any coach would tell their players to do that, but these players are just kids in a uniform and they make alot of their own decisions when on the field. I know I did.

When up by 4 touchdowns in the second half, it is more beneficial to get some playing time for your younger players. If the other team can not stop them either, there is nothing left for you to do.

Those of you who think the score should be ran up, wait until you have kids on the sidlines and in the game.

Only last night, the Bills scored 21 points in only a four minute stretch of the 4th quarter. So, I'm not quite so sure how comfortable I'd be with only a 28 point margin going into the 4th quarter.

The other team scores. They cover an onside kick and score quickly again. It happens all the time. Now you are still early in the 4th with only a two TD lead...and momentum has changed dramatically.

In a high scoring game where both teams have the ability to score quickly, I don't think 28 points is a "lock" going into the 4th quarter.