Tennessee's Division 1-A Prospects

JimmyCash

Wake up and smell the coffee MR. CASH. Let me tell you how UT recruiting works: They have a board with players listed from all over the country that they've been tracking since their freshman or sophomore seasons. The in-state board has the same. The problem is that states like Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc. and others play more football and have more prospects. Tennessee does not produce the prospects THEY want. You could take the Mr. Football for Tennessee for the last ten years in all divisions and see who produced at any place for any school. UT wants difference makers and has certain specifications for positions they want to fill. They will send out "letters" to a number of suspects, and invite select ones to their camp. You don't go to their camp, your chances of a scholarship are virtually non-existant. They will play prospects off of each other and then scramble to close the deal when the time is right. There is so much B.S. and politics and CYA that goes into it, it would make you crazy if you really knew. The problem is that it goes on everywhere in big-time DI or DI wannabes. Some of our state's best athletes and football players will end up playing in virtual obscurity somewhere else. For the Big Orange, the Crimson Tide, Gators, 'Dogs, whomever you support-it is a bloody, cutthroat business and for UT, they could give a rat's butt about how many in-staters they take. They'll take a few to keep the homeboys happy, but that's also about taking a player every now and then to keep relationships happy with HS coaches in case a real player shows up. Walk-ons are a joke-keep your dream up until they use you up. Nebraska talks about all of their walk-ons-did you know every county in the state gives a football scholarship to NU to the county's best player? This is above what NU gives under NCAA rules. That's why they have 150 players or so on the team. The whole recruiting thing is a fraud. You play with just state players, and you'll get destroyed.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake up and smell the coffee MR. CASH. Let me tell you how UT recruiting works: They have a board with players listed from all over the country that they've been tracking since their freshman or sophomore seasons. The in-state board has the same. The problem is that states like Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc. and others play more football and have more prospects. Tennessee does not produce the prospects THEY want. You could take the Mr. Football for Tennessee for the last ten years in all divisions and see who produced at any place for any school. UT wants difference makers and has certain specifications for positions they want to fill. They will send out "letters" to a number of suspects, and invite select ones to their camp. You don't go to their camp, your chances of a scholarship are virtually non-existant. They will play prospects off of each other and then scramble to close the deal when the time is right. There is so much B.S. and politics and CYA that goes into it, it would make you crazy if you really knew. The problem is that it goes on everywhere in big-time DI or DI wannabes. Some of our state's best athletes and football players will end up playing in virtual obscurity somewhere else. For the Big Orange, the Crimson Tide, Gators, 'Dogs, whomever you support-it is a bloody, cutthroat business and for UT, they could give a rat's butt about how many in-staters they take. They'll take a few to keep the homeboys happy, but that's also about taking a player every now and then to keep relationships happy with HS coaches in case a real player shows up. Walk-ons are a joke-keep your dream up until they use you up. Nebraska talks about all of their walk-ons-did you know every county in the state gives a football scholarship to NU to the county's best player? This is above what NU gives under NCAA rules. That's why they have 150 players or so on the team. The whole recruiting thing is a fraud. You play with just state players, and you'll get destroyed.

Terribly accurate post. I appreciate your honestly and completely agree with your perspective, though it seems you have a lot more knowledge. Well done.

Wake up and smell the coffee MR. CASH.  Let me tell you how UT recruiting works: They have a board with players listed from all over the country that they've been tracking since their freshman or sophomore seasons.  The in-state board has the same.  The problem is that states like Florida, Georgia, Texas, etc. and others play more football and have more prospects.  Tennessee does not produce the prospects THEY want.  You could take the Mr. Football for Tennessee for the last ten years in all divisions and see who produced at any place for any school.  UT wants difference makers and has certain specifications for positions they want to fill.  They will send out "letters" to a number of suspects, and invite select ones to their camp.  You don't go to their camp, your chances of a scholarship are virtually non-existant.  They will play prospects off of each other and then scramble to close the deal when the time is right.  There is so much B.S. and politics and CYA that goes into it, it would make you crazy if you really knew.  The problem is that it goes on everywhere in big-time DI or DI wannabes.  Some of our state's best athletes and football players will end up playing in virtual obscurity somewhere else.  For the Big Orange, the Crimson Tide, Gators, 'Dogs, whomever you support-it is a bloody, cutthroat business and for UT, they could give a rat's butt about how many in-staters they take.  They'll take a few to keep the homeboys happy, but that's also about taking a player every now and then to keep relationships happy with HS coaches in case a real player shows up.  Walk-ons are a joke-keep your dream up until they use you up.  Nebraska talks about all of their walk-ons-did you know every county in the state gives a football scholarship to NU to the county's best player?  This is above what NU gives under NCAA rules. That's why they have 150 players or so on the team. The whole recruiting thing is a fraud. You play with just state players, and you'll get destroyed.

Excellent, except I disagree with the part about walk-ons, while the sucess stories are few and far between, there are players that fall threw the cracks.

Case in point:

Quinton Primm from Dickson County, in obscurity till the last half of his senior year, named MVP Region 6-5A, could play Div I, in my opinion, but probably won't get a look because he blossomed late!

The other side to that coin is that DivI wastes millions of $$ on 6'5+ 275+ that just aren't good football players, hoping to make them good players. While 6'2 225 get overlooked.

Edited by BigDogDaddy

Let me expand on my walk-on commentary. UT, like many schools, has certain "minimums" for positions. For example, they would be hard pressed to offer a serious scholarship to any QB smaller than 6'4", any offensive lineman shorter than 6'4" and smaller than 280 (unless his hips are wide and started a growth spurt late-for example I know of a college recruiter who did a look-see to see how much body hair you have-too much shows too early a bloomer and no growth potential). If you fall below the parameters, they may invite you to walk-on; with 16 or so other wannabes. You get to go to camp before the other walk-ons and are given a marginally longer look. The carrot is "If you produce, we may offer you a ride next year." But they really don't want you showing up a player that's on scholarship in your class, they just want to keep you handy just in case. Walk-ons are given no look until their senior season if they still are hanging around. You are cannon fodder for four years, or encouraged to stay to keep the GPA up for the squad. There are other "criteria" that come into play that, but some of it's best left unsaid. They can tell you 50 reasons why they won't offer a quality kid a scholarship, because no one knows how to measure heart and will and desire. That's what separates the "lookers" from the acheivers. Also, the recruiting staffs will go with "sure things" over diamonds in the rough. No one wants to be called out for missing a sure thing and taking a gut-feel on a kid. The classic case was former Alabama QB Billy Ray. Everyone who recruited Ray knew this kid wouldn't make it after seeing him, but he had so much publicity (Forrest Davis called him the top prospect in the South that year) that recruiters were afraid to tell their bosses the obvious. Kind of like the emperor who had no clothes. Billy Ray was a bust, and all the SEC staffs said "I told you so" after the fact. Bama was exhonorated because he was the "best prospect." With scholarship limitations so strict now, they won't go out on any limb at all.

If you want to play college football-don't wait for LSU or the like to call you. Find your home at a smaller level and knock yourself out.

Fromthetop and bigdaddy, Great posts. totally agree with the both of you. At least you two see where I'm coming from.

Let me also say that i'm not bashing in-state players. I enjoy watching the athletes in this state go at it every friday night. I 'm just agreeing with the "diamonds in the rough" comment posted earlier. UT only takes sure things. That's seen by cosistently finishing in the top 10 every year, except last year that is.

That's a bunch of Bull. The state of Tennessee can produce 10 players a year good enough for UT. This bunch of "We got to go out-of-state to get the nation's best" is a bunch of crap. About every player UT gets from Tennesssee is Good or turns into a solid player some form or fashion. Georgia doesn't recruit nationally like a bunch of Fools. Look at that game. Maryland doesn't either. Look at last year's game. You tellin me Maryland produces better talent the Tennessee. Another bunch of Bull. UT does a terrible job representing this state and that's a reason I will never support them. There is no loyalty what so ever. If you are for that, go right ahead. I think it's completely Idiotic.

Excellent, except I disagree with the part about walk-ons, while the sucess stories are few and far between, there are players that fall threw the cracks.

Case in point:

Quinton Primm from Dickson County, in obscurity till the last half of his senior year, named MVP Region 6-5A, could play Div I, in my opinion, but probably won't get a look because he blossomed late!

The other side to that coin is that DivI wastes millions of $$ on 6'5+ 275+ that just aren't good football players, hoping to make them good players. While 6'2 225 get overlooked.

Totally agree with what you wrote, just making a slight correction Primm was Defensive MVP, VanHorne was THE MVP, and if someone else got MVP then VanHorne would have had the Defensive.

Fight on Fight On for old State U.? Using only local Rudy's to win the big game against Tech? JimmyCash you're living in a fantasy land. Every major collegiate power recruits out of their state. When was it ever different? I could go through every UT roster as far back as the 1951 National Championship team and point to key players who were not from Tennessee. I could also go through every national championship team and point to key players who were not from that state. Facts are, Tennessee is in the same boat as about 43 other states-they don't produce enough talent each year to fill the needs of the program, let alone other schools in the state. I think UT, Inc. does a fine job of representing this state.