Top teams in 1a next season

pujo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reread my post, Antwan. I said WHEN Trousdale Co was in 1A, they beat the privates more often than not. Coach Satterfield and his staff always had his teams prepared, had great game plans, and maximized his players potential, just as he is doing in 3A now. THAT's what wins championships. And, I've got to believe he stresses off-season conditioning. I agree with OnlineLC that most any of the teams he had in the 90's WHEN they were in 1A could be right in the thick of things now in 1A. I know, because I saw 3 of those teams beat good CPA teams in the quarterfinals of 1A playoffs in 3 consecutive years. Not only beat, but often DOMINATE. All with kids that got off the yellow school bus.

I read your post the first time. Trousdale is no longer in 1a. Do you think they are the only public school that conditions in the off season? I thought this thread was about 1a next season. The reason they won in 1a is because they do have great coaches...another reason is that they had the athletes too. This year they didn't have as many great athletes. The coaches and players worked just as hard in the off season as before. Hard work alone is not enough.

CPA fans are excited about next year. Returning:

Pollock, QB - over 1700 yards passing this year and didn't play much the first 2 games

Sikes, WR/Safety - Over 1000 yards receiving and one of the best receivers in the state this year.

Landers, RB - Over 1800 yards rushing and missed 2 games with injuries this year

Fisher, DB - All-state caliber DB this year and one of the hardest hitters in 1A.

Alex House, LB - Freshman who had about 80 tackles this year.

Marshall Hamilton, OG/LB - 2 year starter and hardnosed hitter.

John Price - 2 year starter placekicker

Others who are back and had great years this year: Chris White, Rob Hooper, Austin Harrison, Will Butler, Kyle Hawley, Jordan Dickerson.

I expect DCA, CPA, Boyd and USJ to fight it out for the title.

Antwan, you're right. Some of my posts, as well as others, were off the original topic. I guess when anything like this comes up with 1A, it always gets back to the private/public thing.

I would love to see more of the public 1A schools bottle what Trousdale Co had back in the 80's and 90's. Coach Satterfield's dad started the tradition, and his son is very capably carrying the tradition forward. I'm sure it got to the point where every boy in Trousdale Co that could walk with a football would have given their right arm to wear a Yellow Jacket uniform on autumn Friday nights. They got the ball rolling, set the expectations high, and have a lot of gold balls to prove it. Any kid who didn't give his best effort and then some probably got an earfull from their coaches.

So what does that have to do with 1A next year? Only that the teams that have developed a tradition of high expectations and are willing to work hard should expect to win consistantly. From reading some of these posts, that is a struggle for some schools.

I don't understand what everyone is talking about not getting in the weight room. At SP you miss you are off the team. They are in the weight room after Christmas break. SP all ways has plenty of players and they are all ways willing to work. The privates do have a great advantage but that don't mean the publics should just lay down and quit. They just have to work harder next year. One thing people never mention is other than being able to obtain players from everywhere the privates also control the ratio of boys to girls enrolled in their respective schools. Whereas the publics are mostly 50-50 sometimes more girls than boys the privates are as much as 60% boys 40% girls. This is a huge advantage if you have 300 students. You have a much greater pool of boys to choose from than a school wich is 50-50.

Hey unbiased, if you are talking about the post just above yours, I see nothing wrong.

The Pirates did just as well as Trousdale in the 90s. The were 2-2 against each other in the Semis which was functionally the title game. The Pirates have a good record against the privates with exception of Boyd the past 3 years.

Edited by rlh

One thing people never mention is other than being able to obtain players from everywhere the privates also control the ratio of boys to girls enrolled in their respective schools. Whereas the publics are mostly 50-50 sometimes more girls than boys the privates are as much as 60% boys 40% girls.

;) I guess that explains why things were so surly around our house for a few years.

It is no coincidence that SPitt has a successful history in football with policies such as the ones listed above. No disrespect to DCA, but it's a shame that SPitt went out in round 3, for they were a superior team to anyone that I saw in 1A (except Boyd.)

Jumbo-the comment about controlling enrolement just isn't true. Small 1A privates don't select athletes to be students, they take who applies and work with what they have. If you saw Boyd play this year you know they were out-sized and out athleted at nearly every position on the field. What got them past a fantastic SPitt team was execution, lack of mistakes (actually, just less mistakes than SPitt) and a kicker (who has been at Boyd since kindergarten and lives 4 miles from the school.) Defensively, the teams were evenly matched with conditioning leaning to Boyd's side (it's easier to carry around 180 lbs than 230, and all those sprints added up.) Offensively SPitt was very good, with better speed overall. Anyone who thinks that public schools can't hang just needs to make a carbon copy of SPitts program and pass it around!

I don't know about the validity of Flossies' comments, but they seem to know what they are talking about. If this is so, (and I know some other programs in the same boat) then they need to wake up, smell the coffee, introduce some accountability to the mix, quit blaming everybody else and go kick some butt.

I see some public schools waking up and getting with it. I think that next year will be much more competitive than this year in 1A.

Next year D.C.A, C.P.A, or Boyd will win it again. S.P loses virtually every lineman. They have some good skill players back, but have to have some linemen step up. S.P won't be as good as next year, but they will still probably be the best public school in 1A next year. It would be extremely difficult to beat Boyd though. They should be really good again. I would say their defense will not be quite as good, but their offense will probably be better.

I don't understand what everyone is talking about not getting in the weight room. At SP you miss you are off the team. They are in the weight room after Christmas break. SP all ways has plenty of players and they are all ways willing to work. The privates do have a great advantage but that don't mean the publics should just lay down and quit. They just have to work harder next year. One thing people never mention is other than being able to obtain players from everywhere the privates also control the ratio of boys to girls enrolled in their respective schools. Whereas the publics are mostly 50-50 sometimes more girls than boys the privates are as much as 60% boys 40% girls. This is a huge advantage if you have 300 students. You have a much greater pool of boys to choose from than a school wich is 50-50.

jumbo67,

If is SP stands for South Pittsburg, then they aren't hitting the weight room very hard? I saw a picture of them; they are tall and skinny! B)

Cloudland,s boys probably out does most 1a public schools in the weight room, South Pitt just seems to have better talent , I thought they had more talent than Boyd or any other team in 1a. The better private schools outwork public schools, their kids have disapline at homeand they are easier to teach and coach. Some of them draw some good talent from time to time,but raw talent is not their biggest asset.