Are Knox Area Coaches Jobs getting filled?

Guest PASSINGGAME1

I can guarantee you that Heritage is a sleeping giant. There is and has been talent there. Our stats from 2003 season will tell you that. However, the fact is that we MUST have support from the administration and the parents. We must have commitment from the top down to the bottom. It will take some time, Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

I keep saying "we".... my son is gone, but I still love HHS Mountaineers and I will still be a volunteer Booster.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can guarantee you that Heritage is a sleeping giant. There is and has been talent there. Our stats from 2003 season will tell you that. However, the fact is that we MUST have support from the administration and the parents. We must have commitment from the top down to the bottom. It will take some time, Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

I keep saying "we".... my son is gone, but I still love HHS Mountaineers and I will still be a volunteer Booster.

I would beg to differ about the stats. 1-9 does not start you off too well in the stat department.

RebelRon Are those athletes at Heritage that are you spoke of, that are not playing, doing anything? There might be a reason for that. When a school is not a hot commodity (unlike Maryville ) the athletic base tends to go down. Heritage has been down for a while. I am sure they have size, but what about speed. Do they have any?

A lot of those kids aren't doing nothing. A lot of Heritage problem is the attitude. I know that Danny Wilson had the players interested in playing. I remember how awful Heritage was in 1998. They were 1-9. Maryville beat them 35-7 and could have beat them much worse. The next season 99 Heritage has a bunch more kids out and the beat Maryville 26-21. Danny Wilson talked Jordan Johnson and some other great athletes into playing football in 1999.Tommy Rewis will have to recruit the hallways. He will have to get those kids interested in playing at Heritage and keep them from transfering to Maryville,Alcoa,South Doyle,William Blount and Seymour.The School board needs to get behind the Heritage program.

Why did Meadows leave Alcoa? Why is he leaving Jeff Co.? Where was he prior to going to Alcoa and how long was he there? Why does he always manage to leave after a large number of athletes graduate? I do think he is a good coach, but it does not look good when you do this several times.

Coach Meadows has coached at Sequoyah for 2 years, then had the opportunity to go to Alcoa (who does not make that move?). Then he was offered a position at Tennessee and a chance to get on the college level. He did not like being away from home, so he returned to high school. Now, he has an opportunity to go back to Blount County where his wife wants to be. Any man makes this move if he wishes to have piece at home.

Guest PASSINGGAME1

I did not think he ever even started at UT, or did he. He had to know the kind of hours they put in, probably similar to most Head coaches in high school. Except for away games on Friday and Saturday, it should be real similar to His job at Alcoa. I think maybe the money was part of it too.

Edited by PASSINGGAME1

Stats and Record do not tell the whole story at Heritage. Rebelron is correct there is some good talent walking the halls that never make it to the playing field. There New coach must come in and get them excited about playing for there school. High school football is a one time shot and when you graduate its over and you never get a shot at playing again. As far as Heritage not having the talent I beg to differ. There JV team played Maryville to a 13-0 defeat and they beat WB 28-6. There is some good young players in the pipline, Jamey Davis 6'1-215 pound sophmore, Josh Sceany who scored there last six touchdowns of the season is only a sophmore. Jonathan Caughorn 6'2-220 pound sophmore. Up and coming seniors Tyler Thomas and Cory Stump just to name a few. Heritage was in every game but two, Maryville and Oak Ridge, seven of the 10 teams they played made the playoffs and 3 of them made it to the semi-finals in there Class. There Sched was tough but in the long run it will make the younger players better. These Kids are not the stepchildren of the County they work as hard as any team in the county. They could have just given up alot of times this year but they fought till the end in every game.

Coach Meadows was not a full time assistant at UT, he was a graduate assistant coach. Grad Assistants work towards their masters degrees, and aren't paid very well. Normally a grad assistant is a young coach just out of college.

Evidentially Meadows decided that he didn't want to go in that direction, as he didn't say bout a couple of months before taking the Jeff County job.

Guest PASSINGGAME1

HTV If you will read my post it talks about the money, and what they do as a GA. I was basically trying to say that having the excuse of time was not a good answer for not taking it. Head Coaches in high school put just as many hours as a GA does, plus has to raise money, and appease parents. I think that the money was more of an issue and the fact that Meadows was losing his talent. I do think that he is a good coach though. He just knows when to get out.

AFR39 I was not calling Heritage the Blount Co. Stepchild, I was merely saying that they are treated like they are the Blount Co. Stepchild. Just so you know many teams have several kids that are 6-2 220 pounds. Several have running backs not much smaller than that. I can remember when Heritage was a dominant factor in AAA football, and only the top 2 teams in the district got to go to the playoffs. Heritage was there several years in a row, over teams like Farragut, William Blount, Knox Central, Sevier Co. , and many other teams. I just not have seen much lately. I really hope they succeed. I have some old friends that played ball there many years ago. Good luck to the new coach, the kids, and the community.

Edited by PASSINGGAME1