AP Members/Voters - Where's Your Head At

sportsradiotn

This is a rant directed toward fellow AP members/affiliates and or voters of the prep poll.

Do you take your responsibility seriously? Evidently not. By ranking Gleason #1 with 12 first place votes in the 1A poll, you show the fans of Tennessee high school basketball that they know more about the teams than you! This is a sad state of affairs ...and I must say that those of you who just voted for the previous #1 because you don't know anything about that class are a disgrace to our business.

The polls I see on this forum from the fans are more of a representation of what they should be than what the AP has put in front of us this morning.

Even more, Perry County has lost 2 of their last 3 and still received a first place vote.

By no means am I taking anything away from the Lady Vikings or Randy Frazier's Lady Bulldogs...they are very talented teams and will be ones to watch in tournament time.

But, both teams have lost twice in the past ten days! One of Gleason's losses was to a team with a losing record.

By reading the the release this morning, I can see other votes that were wasted. Truly a waste of our medium.

You supposedly research your subject before writing an article or reading a story on the radio or television...do the same when voting on the AP Poll.

This web site has so much useful information that will make your job of research that much easier. Use it!

Those of you whom didn't take your responsibility seriously, quit your day job and find something more along the line of your talents.

The coaches, players and fans deserve better.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree totally with you! We have a situation where we have 4 schools in our

county (BLOUNT). Alcoa, Heritage, Maryville, and Wm. Blount. All 4 have played at

a very respectable level in girls basketball all year. This year, Heritage girls must

have earned the respect of some of the writers in the state as they have been

ranked 10th in the A.P. poll the last 2 weeks. They have beaten a very tough

Oak Ridge team and Sevier Co. team on their own floor. My Point is:

Would you believe our own home town paper has yet

to take the time to vote in the poll!!

Yes, Polls are just one persons opinion, but lets face it most people look at them.

Kudos to all the reporters who take an interest in high school sports in this state.

I want to totally agree with sportsradiotn. He and I try our best here in West Tennessee to do the research and vote legitimately in the AP poll. As a broadcaster for Weakley County sports I was shocked that Gleason still got 12 first place votes after two losses! I think Randy Frazier would agree that they're not the #1 team in Class A girls and I was NOT one of the "Dirty Dozen" who made this weeks poll a travesty. While most say the only poll that counts is the one played on the floor, these polls serve a purpose of recognizing young people's efforts and generating interest in high school athletics. Let me take this forum to say a big THANK YOU to Coach T, Iamoz, and anyone else who helps administer this website. It's sure made my job easier. Wish some of my fellow AP voters would follow suit.

well stated...the problem for most people that vote for the ap is that they don't know the teams. There is no way for a person that lives in Kingsport to vote on a team from west Tennessee and have the ability to accurately say they are the 4th best team in class A ball. People from their area put their teams with good records near the top and then place the schools "they have heard of" in the other spots. There is no good way of getting an accurate poll with the current system.

Maybe CoachT could come up with a coaches poll in each class. He could give each coach a vote each week, via coacht.com. Lets face it, the coache4s know who the top teams are, and who is going to be in the 'Boro at the end of the year.

Jackson County is NEVER # 1, yet have 4 straight gold balls, I have a feeling that they are a team to beat, but the media says it is Gibson Co, LA, and Seymour in AA. If you beat Jackson Co, and put them out, then maybe one of these other schools become the team to beat.

In A, wouldn't Trenton Peabody be the team to beat, defending state champion with everyone back, what do I know?

And in AAA, that poll might be really good, but who knows, there are alot of quality teams in AAA.

Just my 2 cents....I'm for the coacht.com coaches poll. I bet I know someone who could get it on a couple of radio stations in west Tennessee. :unsure:

Great idea Wescharge! I would think that all coaches are able to get online one way or another. They each vote for a top five and from that we would get a good poll. It would only take a few minutes each weekend. Even if only 75% of all the coaches voted, you're talking around 75 to 80 voting each week.

The current (AP) polling is becoming laughable because of the bias that some announcers and reporters show toward their area or their favorite team. Like I stated earlier, research is the key. If you're a professional and take pride in your work, you would spend an hour or two on all of the teams each week.

I talked with several members of the media this morning and all were shocked after

reading the AP Poll (Girls and Boys).

Sometimes the ones that need to vote are not able because they're not affiliated with AP.

"In 'A' - how does a Donelson Academy fall out of AP top 10 without losing and even winning games over teams that are still ranked? What is up with that????"

Add this to the list:

How does CPA lose 4 out of their last 5 and still manage to receive votes?

I have noticed that this forum has yet to be answered by those that are AP voters...helping prove that they do not use this website.

Sigh...the polls are silly and a waste of time. I'm a Gleason fan, and I know we shouldn't be ranked number 1 right now. Heck, I don't want us to be. It's the most meaningless distinction. Polls just cause more anger than happiness, and they contribute nothing to Tennessee basketball. I wish the AP voters would wake up and take Gleason out of the number 1 spot because we don't want it. Right now, we're not the so-called "number 1 team" because we lost two games. I want us to earn the number 1 status in the tournaments, not simply have it stuck on us by a bunch of know-nothings who obvioulsy pay no real attention to Tennessee Class A girls' basketball.