MTSU Recruiting

BigDogDaddy

The amount of money for facilities and coaches is so out of whack here in TN it is not even funny. I really think funding has a lot to do with it, but I also think population has more to do with it. Look at the number of DI athletes coming from GA, FL, and CA. These states have a significant advantage in population, especially minorities. TN will never produce the amount of athletes the state schools need to compete. One here,another there maybe. But you cannot argue the success UT has had. If UT or MTSU limits its recruiting to TN, they both will become Vandy.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen, MTSU could recruit tennessee kids and win if it was a priority. MTSU doesn't have to lose all D 1 prospects to Tennessee and Vandy.MTSU is a fine school. Matter of fact, a point could be made that if you can't recruit and sign kids in your own backyard, how will you ever win games. If you do start winning, who is going to come?

Tennessee has plenty of athletes. Last time I checked, UT was beaten soundly their last two bowl games, one game was against Maryland which boasted most of their players from the home state. Could Maryland athletes be that much better also?

If you ain't goin'to win, then at least recruit to draw fans. MTSU is doing neither. Doesn't have to be that way.

I look for corporate sponsorship to become HUGE in Middle TN HS Sports over the next five years.

How do you see Corporate Money coming into HS Sports -- I thought the TSSAA did not allow any quote unqoute sponsorsips for High School Sports.

I'm not saying I don't like the idea, but my question is, will the TSSAA allow it. Will we see QualComm Stadium at a High School in the future ???

Listen, MTSU could recruit tennessee kids and win if it was a priority. MTSU doesn't have to lose all D 1 prospects to Tennessee and Vandy.MTSU is a fine school. Matter of fact, a point could be made that if you can't recruit and sign kids in your own backyard, how will you ever win games. If you do start winning, who is going to come?

Tennessee has plenty of athletes. Last time I checked, UT was beaten soundly their last two bowl games, one game was against Maryland which boasted most of their players from the home state. Could Maryland athletes be that much better also?

If you ain't goin'to win, then at least recruit to draw fans. MTSU is doing neither. Doesn't have to be that way.

Maryland has a higher minority population than TN, plus Maryland is the only DI school worth a crap in football in the area. Not a good comparison, nor is Clemson.

Uh... Red....

The majority of the instate MD players are from predominantly white suburbs. Several from towns with "0" minorities (thanks to the Klan! Gaithersburg, and Eldersburg for example). Having been a student at U of Md., and at a couple of Tennessee universities, the student make-up is pretty close to the same.

Now, I went to high school in La, my brother in Ga, the quality of athletes is not tremendously different. Coaching is different, community support is terrible here, and funding, well, did you notice that all of the revenue raising measures failed during the recent election? I guess you get what you pay for.

I think perception is the biggest factor. Tennessee athletes are percieved to be inferior, therefore they aren't recruited; because they aren't recruited, they are inferior. Circular reasoning, and a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Edited by ie3

I think perception is the biggest factor. Tennessee athletes are percieved to be inferior, therefore they aren't recruited; because they aren't recruited, they are inferior. Circular reasoning, and a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Exactly....If 4 of us watched 50 kids work out at different positions in a combine for 5 hours and then we had to sit down and draw kids I dare say we'd have a lot of diffrent ideas and we'd never agree on the same 20 let alone the same 11.

I've said it many times, 7 out of 10 D1 lineman recruits are 6'5 270lb uncoordinated, lazy, wimps with terrible footwork and absolutely no heart!

So that being said, my D1 team looks alot different than most people's.

So the question remains ....how do we change the "perception" of recruiters toward TN athletes? How do we get more TN athletes on Unapproved Website?

What about hosting a combine with all forms of coaches, equipment reps, celebrities and recruiting services invited? Invite kids from Rivals .com from surrounding states and mix our kids in with them and see what happens! :justwrestle: