CONGRADS TO MBA...

cb56

First off - how does Div I kids get mentioned on a Div II thread? Did someone 'fat finger' this thread.

Response to 'toobadtoosad' - My son is the FHS 189, Brad Raby, and yes he was disappointed that he did not wrestle all his matches, but he understands that this is a coach's call, not the athletes. If I recall correctly, Brad did wrestle the 189 from Collierville and pinned him in the second period. We've wrestled Collierville at least 4 or 5 times this year. I do not believe this was bad sportmanship by any of the teams that used forfiets on the duals that were already determined. All these wrestlers have regions next week and state the week after.

Response to 'Best of the West' - If I recall, had he gone up against Clarksville - Pease was wrestling up to 215, not 189 - he wouldn't have wrestled Pease anyway. Tim & Brad have wrestled at least 3 times this season. Tim is a good kid, but when they are on the mat, it's all business and off the mat they chat.

I'd like to think I'm considered a friend to various members of the wrestling community. I think the Clarksville & Collierville teams are great and have been known to cheer them on in various matches. When Coach Cottrell was in Williamson County he coached Brad in Freestyle/Greco, he's a great coach and we sure do miss him in Middle Tennessee.

:D:wacko::P

Good luck to all teams as they prepare for the individual regions & state tournaments.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reasons to forfeit out at state duals

1. Injury prevention - Against Franklin, Bradly had won the match. They sent out Blackmon at 171 for a match against someone he should dominate. He did and pinned him in the first period. After the pin was called, Blackmon couldn't stand up. He was complaning about how he injured his quad. They helped him off of the mat. He defaulted against Soddy in the finals after less than a minute.

2. Guarantee the team victory - As someone stated earlier, if your team is up by 7 with one match left, why risk a team point deduction that could tie the match. Why risk flagrant misconduct that could cost your team the match?

3. Preservation of your wrestlers - Past history has shown that bad things can happen at the state duals. Many wrestlers have been tossed for Flagrant and had to sit out of the state. If the match is over, it would be awful to send a kid out, the kid gets baited to fight or gets punched, then he punches back by reflex. The ref sees it and he is tossed.

4. Scouting reports - Most of the teams at the duals are scouting the matches of their next opponets. Why give them a free look?

Well, I was down there and got that last "reversal" on tape...I had to review it a few times because it happend so fast....The MBA wrestler still had control of the CBHS wrestlers leg .... correct me if I am wrong, that is not a reversal.

i am that 171, then why was the ref counting back points. look at the tape closer. i also have the tape

Jay,

You'll get your chance in 2 weeks to show them who the better wrestler is. Just keep training hard, and use that event as motivation. I saw your match, and I agree that you earned your points. Sometimes things dont go your way, and I learned this weekend that no matter where you go, what team your own, who you are, who the ref is, where he is from, or where your from....BOTH sides will never agree with the ref. If you have the chance to wrestle him again, make sure it's not even close enough for dispute. Good Luck Brothers!

First off - how does Div I kids get mentioned on a Div II thread? Did someone 'fat finger' this thread.

Response to 'toobadtoosad' - My son is the FHS 189, Brad Raby, and yes he was disappointed that he did not wrestle all his matches, but he understands that this is a coach's call, not the athletes. If I recall correctly, Brad did wrestle the 189 from Collierville and pinned him in the second period. We've wrestled Collierville at least 4 or 5 times this year. I do not believe this was bad sportmanship by any of the teams that used forfiets on the duals that were already determined. All these wrestlers have regions next week and state the week after.

Response to 'Best of the West' - If I recall, had he gone up against Clarksville - Pease was wrestling up to 215, not 189 - he wouldn't have wrestled Pease anyway. Tim & Brad have wrestled at least 3 times this season. Tim is a good kid, but when they are on the mat, it's all business and off the mat they chat.

I'd like to think I'm considered a friend to various members of the wrestling community. I think the Clarksville & Collierville teams are great and have been known to cheer them on in various matches. When Coach Cottrell was in Williamson County he coached Brad in Freestyle/Greco, he's a great coach and we sure do miss him in Middle Tennessee.

:P:lol::lol:

Good luck to all teams as they prepare for the individual regions & state tournaments.

Echason

that is excatly my point the upper weights did not get to wrestle. If I'm not mistaken your son would have wrestled Weakley. Who would have won? You will never find out because a coach decided your son would not and forfited.

Sometimes, when a team cannot win, the wrestlers get frustrated. If I were the coach of the winning team, I would be hesitant to put my kid in against a wrestler who could be upset or even angry, especially a week before regions. Campbell looked pretty intense when he came out in the finals. If I were Coach Logsdon, I probably would have forfeited that one, but he chose not to (he knows a million times more than me). That's just how I feel. It's better to err on the side of caution.

Response to 'Best of the West' - If I recall, had he gone up against Clarksville - Pease was wrestling up to 215, not 189 - he wouldn't have wrestled Pease anyway.

Speaking of Pease... After watching Pease and Inman wrestle Saint of CBHS, I really wonder if Chris Lewis may not have the most dominant wrestler in the state right now. He may be equal in stength, quickness and skill domination for his weight class when compared to James, Hiller, Leen, Manley, Stark, Davis, Lane and Gibson.

Just an observation as we head into the tournament that awards probably the most valued individual award in our sport.

I know there are others I'm leaving off, but you get the idea. Saint is amazing and fun to watch!!

soms

Soms,

I have to agree with you on this one. I have had the pleasure of watching Saint wrestle many times and I have seen very few dominate an opponent on so many levels. However, to go beyond his athletic ability he is a very good kid. While he is as aggressive as anyone else on the mat, he is a great person to talk with off of it. I also ask you to consider that what you saw him do this weekend was with a pretty major injury, you should see him when he is healthy.

Hope you don't mind a little talk Justin :lol: .