Multiplier

trnbrant

Robjim..I read the article. I thought it was very well written. The last sentnce...

Because until some state blazes the trail and figures out a way to please both sides of the debate, the TSSAA will continue to go bananas trying to find the middle ground.

That would be a merit based system. That`s what I have proposed a long time ago. When you develope a system that classifies teams based on performance, then and only then can you eliminate arguments. The people who are bigoted against private schools will have no other option than to shut up.

Forget the Virginia plan. Let`s have the Tennessee plan. A plan that classifies based on merit. A plan that other states can adopt.

Edited by VolunteerGeneral

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robjim..I read the article. I thought it was very well written. The last sentnce...

That would be a merit based system. That`s what I have proposed a long time ago. When you develope a system that classifies teams based on performance, then and only then can you eliminate arguments. The people who are bigoted against private schools will have no other option than to shut up.

Forget the Virginia plan. Let`s have the Tennessee plan. A plan that classifies based on merit. A plan that other states can adopt.

Good article...summarizes nicely.

C'mon VG, you know that when several of us (you, me, Silver, etc.) argued for a merit based system half the regular public posters blasted us. Things like "that's stupid" were offered as good evidence that merit based systems don't work.

"Years ago you couldn't even designate donations to a specific fund. All donated money went to a general fund then the board decided where the money went. "

That sounds like how the publics used to run and STILL DO.....because of politics and that FREE education that is supposed to be this big advantage for public schools.

CSense..You know that is wrong. I can and do give whatever money I want to support our sports teams at JCM. In fact if I want , I can even designate what I want bought with it if I feel so inclined. You know good and well that if you wanted to donate any money to any public school that you can designate what you want the money to be used for. I`ve done this many times with my public schools. You see a need and you take care of it.

VG,

Will you please explain to me why my brother, who owns a school supply store, tried to sell a local (Hamilton County) elementary school some playground equipment at his cost because he has a granddaughter and niece enrolled there get slammed by the Hamilton County Department of Education. They told him if he sold one school playground equipment at a certain cost he would have to open the same bid to all schools in the system. He simply cannot conduct his business that way, so he withdrew the bid.

Please further explain to me why a local (new) magnet elementary school in downtown Chattanooga had money given to them for playground equipment by the Hamilton County government when during the same year the same public school I mentioned above had to purchase this equipment higher than they should have through money raised by the PTA?

I'll bet if my brother wanted to sell Boyd, Chattanooga Christian, Baylor, McCallie, etc playground equipment at his cost there would be NO problems or red tape.

Any donations or purchases have to be approved by these same idiots who "zone" certain schools. Some go through, some don't. It does not happen the same way for private schools. Yet another difference in public and private education.

FYI, TSSAA Board of Control

First Athletic District Mike Reed, Morristown West High School, Morristown

Second Athletic District Lynn Brown, Maryville High School, Maryville

Third Athletic District Tommy Layne, Sequatchie Co. High School, Dunlap

Fourth Athletic District Terry Looper, Cascade High School, Wartrace

Fifth Athletic District Mike Tribue, McGavock High School, Nashville

Sixth Athletic District Mickey Dunn, Lawrence Co. High School, Lawrenceburg

Seventh Athletic District Fred Kessler, Bolivar Central High School, Bolivar

Eighth Athletic District Sam Miles, Dyersburg High School, Dyersburg

Ninth Athletic District Joe Davis, Manassas High School Memphis

"Years ago you couldn't even designate donations to a specific fund. All donated money went to a general fund then the board decided where the money went. "

That sounds like how the publics used to run and STILL DO.....because of politics and that FREE education that is supposed to be this big advantage for public schools.

CSense..You know that is wrong. I can and do give whatever money I want to support our sports teams at JCM. In fact if I want , I can even designate what I want bought with it if I feel so inclined. You know good and well that if you wanted to donate any money to any public school that you can designate what you want the money to be used for. I`ve done this many times with my public schools. You see a need and you take care of it.

VG,

Will you please explain to me why my brother, who owns a school supply store, tried to sell a local (Hamilton County) elementary school some playground equipment at his cost because he has a granddaughter and niece enrolled there get slammed by the Hamilton County Department of Education. They told him if he sold one school playground equipment at a certain cost he would have to open the same bid to all schools in the system. He simply cannot conduct his business that way, so he withdrew the bid.

Please further explain to me why a local (new) magnet elementary school in downtown Chattanooga had money given to them for playground equipment by the Hamilton County government when during the same year the same public school I mentioned above had to purchase this equipment higher than they should have through money raised by the PTA?

I'll bet if my brother wanted to sell Boyd, Chattanooga Christian, Baylor, McCallie, etc playground equipment at his cost there would be NO problems or red tape.

Any donations or purchases have to be approved by these same idiots who "zone" certain schools. Some go through, some don't. It does not happen the same way for private schools. Yet another difference in public and private education.

You have both state and federal laws at play here, but you can certainly donate anything of value to any single school and they will usually accept it. State law prohibits the purchase of any item valued at over (I think the amount is) $1200 to be bid out and the lowest bidder must be given the contract no matter who it is that makes the lowest bid. Also, items over a larger (?????) amount must be approved by the school board. These are state laws and the local board has very little control over it. Private schools are not governed by the STATE.

On the subject of DI privates going to DII. My concerns, in no particular order:

1. Travel and safety of students. This doesn't affect Nash. area schools but greatly affects Memphis, K-town and Choo-Choo area high schools, especially during basketball and baseball seasons (due to the number of games played during the week.)

2. Finances: Stressed budgets are the realilty at 90% of DI privates. It's not a hard choice- a better library or opening up financial aid to include athletes? Smaller teacher to student ratios or travel for the football team? Hitting up alumni for new computers or hitting up for donations to send the basketball team to Nashville? These are real questions that will have to be addressed.

3. "Recruiting" issues. Little Freddie is a good student and an outstanding athlete, but mom is short on cash. Mom knows that now Fast Fred can go to the small community private school right down the street for free. That's a not a bad thing. But all the bad feelings from the local public school multiply and the resentment grows (instead of being happy for Freddie.) This happens more often because there are more schools in the DII mix. Sadly, I've seen this one happen already too many times.

I'm sure there are others but these are the ones I hear most often.

So he could have "donated" the equipment if he could have, but in order to try to stay in business he was trying to at least recoup his cost which was not allowed unless he was willing to do the same for all PUBLIC schools.

I see, however, he could have also donated to a private school with no problems OR he could have sold to a private school at his cost without having to sell at the same cost to other private schools, correct?

Donation - public ok, private ok

Sell at very low price- private ok, public yes as long as you are willing to sell at same price to ALL public schools.

Like I said in my previous post, yet another difference in private education and public education.

So he could have "donated" the equipment if he could have, but in order to try to stay in business he was trying to at least recoup his cost which was not allowed unless he was willing to do the same for all PUBLIC schools.

I see, however, he could have also donated to a private school with no problems OR he could have sold to a private school at his cost without having to sell at the same cost to other private schools, correct?

Sell at very low price- private ok, public yes as long as you are willing to sell at same price to ALL public schools.

Like I said in my previous post, yet another difference in private education and public education.

It's not the school's fault or the school system's fault, it is a matter of STATE LAW which applies to all schools in the state. I thought you guys were all about DOING WHAT IS RIGHT and OBEYING THE STATE LAWS?

It's not the school's fault or the school system's fault, it is a matter of STATE LAW which applies to all schools in the state. I thought you guys were all about DOING WHAT IS RIGHT and OBEYING THE STATE LAWS?

Please explain your last post ELA.

My point is, it does not matter where the "law" or rule comes from, it is different for public schools and private schools. As I have said before and will say it one more time, no matter how you look at it public education is different than private education in just about every aspect of administration, athletics, economics, etc so they need to be treated differently.

Another question:

If someone wanted to donate one million dollars to East Ridge High School, could they?

If someone wanted to donate one million dollars to Chattanooga Christian School, could they?

If someone wanted to donate one million dollars to East Ridge High School, could they?

If someone wanted to donate one million dollars to Chattanooga Christian School, could they?

I would think in both cases, yes. Donating is different than selling. Cleveland and Bradley Co. schools have been given millions of dollars to fund academic as well as athletic projects by a few local millionares, and this has been highly publicised.

Edited by Gov

I would think in both cases, yes. Donating is different than selling. Cleveland and Bradley Co. schools have been given millions of dollars to fund academic as well as athletic projects by a few local millionares, and this has been highly publicised.

It's kind or hard to believe any school would have leaky roofs or no books or not enough teachers or classroom space.

Oh well, I guess that says something about our priorities.