Multiplier

trnbrant

Just got this from Matt Gillespie at TSSAA.

HERMITAGE- - -The Board of Control met on Sunday, February 8 and Monday, February 9 at the TSSAA office building. The Board voted to implement a 1.8 multiplier that will be applied to the enrollment of non-public schools that are in Division I for the purposes of classification. No non-public school shall be moved more than one classification as a result of the multiplier in one classification period. This will go into effect beginning with the 2005-09 classification period.

In other words... no team will have to jump from 1A to 3A or 2A to 4A... So no Lipscomb vs. Maryville battles in the near future.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.8 was a compromise. It puts the REAL COMPETITIVE DI Privates up one class but doesn't force D.L. into 3A. The interesting thing is that the D1 Privates will now have Trousdale, and Tyner back down in 1A ball.

Here are some other schools that may move down:

0405 East Robertson

0409 Wartburg Central

0412 Harriman

0416 Peabody

0424 Huntingdon

0427 Union City

0434 Bledsoe County

Question: Was there any discussion about the multiplier for URBAN schools?

Edited by ELA

The interesting thing is that the D1 Privates will now have Trousdale, and Tyner back down in 1A ball.

That would certainly make 1A tough, at least in football. Nevertheless, that's what the small rural publics in 1A wanted, and it looks like that's what they are getting.

There should be much rejoicing in the small 1A public schools because of this decision.

I just talked w/ Matt Gillespie... he says they'll be collecting enrollment figures "Sometime in March" and use those figures when they meet in July to determine who will go where. I also didn't think to ask him about the urban school issue... I wish I had read ELA's response first!

So if you're in a school that may be a borderline case... either start kicking a lot of students out of school... or start bringing a lot of new students in if you want to move up!

It would be quite humorous to see a school perform a mass expulsion to get their numbers down to protect their classification the next five years.

I am disappointed because I don't think the multplier solves anything. The problem in football is just shifted to 2A and 3A.

It will be interesting to see what the 2A schools that moved to 3A will do.

This does not happen until 2005. So, a lot can happen between now and then.

If I were coaching at a 1A school, it wouldn't bother me to play Trousdale, Huntingdon, or any of the other public schools because each of them have up and down years. I think the privates moving up to AA will find a lot of challenges, except for BOYD and USJ. Since most of the Nashville ABC schools will have new coaching staffs, they will have huge question marks until they prove themselves. CPA should do well, Ezell will be the big question-mark.

Trousdale Co. during the last classification period jumped to 2-A. They choose to play at the 3-A level. (for whatever reason) If their enrollment does not dictate them moving back to 1-A, I wonder if they will choose to play with the ABC privates or stay up in 3-A and deal with Lipscomb and Goodpasture. The same could be said for Smith Co., they jumped up to 3-A to avoid Lipscomb and Goodpasture now if they move back they have CPA, DCA, etc.

Going to be interesting to see what some of these schools opt to do.