TSSAA REFEREES

Buki4life80

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DABOOKIE

Great post! As an "old" retired referee ( h/s & college ) your post nailed it. I have read most of the post with a good bit of humor ( brings back fond memories ), seeing that the average fan has know idea what goes into officiating. This includes both on and off the court. I was at a college game the other night and the ball was shot and hit the side of the back board. Everyone around me was booing and cussing the officials. I just sat back and smiled at their ignorance. That is just one small example that most if not all fans are clueless when it comes to rules and mechanics. Also, since when does having the fouls even on both teams mean the officials did a good job? That is the biggest myth that I hear.

Well I've said my peace. I'll continue reading the post. This is better than the comic section of the paper.

TDJ.... great post! People think having a child that plays a sport, or they played church league four years ago, makes them an authority. They need to give out membership cards to every parent who has a child playing.

My Name is So and So and my child plays sports and I'm the smartest person in the world because my little baby does no wrong.

Give me a Break!

The big problem is the different associations. There are not many bad call called agianst Clinton and Oak Ridge at home because the refs seem to think that since there are always write-ups about them that they should bow down to them and not call any fouls. Clinton the other nite only committed 4 fouls the entire 2nd half. Somehow i don't think that a team can foul 4 times unless they don't touch anyone while they are playing. Region is probably the best because they bring in a whole new bunch and it doesn't matter who is suppose to be " All Mighty". The ridge officials are the worst out there.

I think everyone would just like a little consistency - There can be battles under the goal and no foul called and then every slight touch is a hand check foul. If a team plays aggressive, there are going to be fouls called, It just seems that most games are not called consistently on both ends. I'm sure it's hard to see all that goes on but there are usually 3 refs on the floor for most games and sitting in the stands sometimes offers a better point of vision than right on the floor. It's a hard job with few rewards.

TDJ...

i'm sorry that we know nothing about officiating, and we are so ignorant in your sight. please forgive us......( it's arrogance like yours that make people dislike you guys even more)

And comments like that is why an arguement like this never gets resolved.

I do agree that most fans are probably not aware of most of the rules but I wouldn't go so far as to say tha ALL of us don't. I'm not even saying that I know every one myself. Plus, ref usually have a better vantage point than we do. In calling games, if a ref makes call I don't understand that's exactly what I say( and then I try to find out after the game if I can) Case in point, a few weeks ago Bartlett was playing Cordova and twice the ref called what I thought was a charge against Bartlett and they shot free thows both times( as Cordova was in the bonus). I asked the coaches after the game what happened and on both plays the Bartlett player with the ball had passed the ball off just prior to the foul being called and thus it was a "push" and free throws. Great call by the ref on two quick plays that I missed.

Bottom line folks, refs have to have tough skin to do what they do but cut em a little slack. I certainly don't ALWAYS agree on every call in every game and sometimes fans grumble and shout. But if coaches shouldn't cuss and swear at players/students shouldn't cuss and swear at opposing teams, then certainly fans in general shouldn't have the liberty to use that kind of language directed at a ref.

First - heyitsme, great post

Second - I am not an official, I am involved in a staff capacity with the BB teams at my high school and coach two other sports.

Now to the main point, Let me quote the TSSAA sportsmanship announcemet.

"Our athletes recoginize that judgement calls are made in good faith and that they must abide by the decisions of the officials."

This should include fans. Everybody needs to rember that it is just a game, the officials are human and make mistakes, and the screaming at officials by fans and complaning here does nothing but make your school and Community look bad.

Heyitsme, GREAT POST!! As I have stated in other posts, I love to go high school games across the area. I have several acquaintances which referee as well. Granted, I have seen many new and young officials over the last 3-5 years, mostly due to all games having to have 3 officials. This basically means that in most every "crew", you will have one very experienced official, one decent one, and one fairly inexperienced one. Sometimes you may have 2 or 3 very experienced ones.

It is always interesting when people in the stands, including some coaches, don't know the rules. If it looks ugly, it MUST be a walk right? Not necessarily! If there is contact of any kind on a shot, it must be a four right? Not necessarily! Most all of the referees will not miss a rule, but they may get an occasional call (out of bounds, block - charge, etc,) wrong. They are human.

Keep in mind, fans are usually one sided in their eyesight on plays while referees have a black and a white stripe!

lovin the 3bal..........you nailed that one......especially when a team goes to a school who uses ridge officals......but the visiting school uses another orginazation

then there seems to be a penalty to pay.. i wish there where no areas and all came under close inspection of the tssaa.....but the tssaa wouldnt look close at anything unless they were about to lose money

Sportie at what level did you ref for free and where do you work so we can raise a little on you. Nice the way your kids were calling Erwin Kids faggotts and the way the guy thrown out was acting. I bet Charlie Bayless who is a tremendous coach and first class individual would be real proud of how his fans are acting

ur a moron.unicoi started chantin fagget after brandon whitehead did his backflip.and it wasnt the refs fault that chris Rutledge was allowed to drive the length of the court without a defender even tryin to defend him.build a bridge and get over it.

One thing that I would be in favor of is getting rid of all of the different officiating organizations that are out there. They should all be brought in under ONE governing body. I know that supervising officials do grade the refs that are out there. However, if they are not already involved, the coaches should be brought into the grading process with mid season and season end surveys that they can submit without the fear of reprisal from supervisors and crews. Coaches should also be able to submit tapes to a single governing body if they have a specific problem with an officiating crew or an individual official if no officiating supervisor was at a game in question.

I would also like to see Tennessee go back to a two man crew during the regular season. This, in its self, would help to get rid of the shortage of officials that many claim is a problem. It would also hopefully weed out many of the officials that are out there that really should not be in officiating. Having officials work together as a team would also help out the situation. Working with a different official every night is not a good thing in my opinion.

These are just a few things that I would like to see implimented. I believe that my suggestions could help raise the bar as far as officiating goes. Are bad calls still going to happen? You bet they are. But hey, any suggestion that might help would be better than what is going on this season.